Honda Shadow Forums banner

1987 Honda shadow Carburetor reinstall? how?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  blue flames 
#1 ·
Ok Guys I managed to get the carbs out but had to get new carb boots..
I rebuilt the carbs.. and replaced boots.. :?
But can someone tell me whats the trick to getting them in?
Boots on bottom first? then cant install uppers.. No room between engine and the top rubber mounts to breather box..
This box is part of frame! What a bear!! Gotta be a trick to this..
Any advice would help much!
Thanks to all for advice!

#4 ·
Install the boots on the cylinder heads first. Spray or wipe a little armorall on the lips. Set the carbs in place and push down usually one will start to pop in. put a piece of wof wook ofver the inlet and use (gently) a pry bar between the frame rail and lever it down with very little pressure and they will pop right in.

#5 ·
I have the same problem atm. The bottom boots will be fine but the airbox wont connect without having more space to be adjusted. I have a vt1100 but i had a time and a half attempting it. Going back at it this weekend to try some of these but i know it dont like to go back how its supposed to. Lol

#6 · (Edited)
The top air tubes for a vt1100 can be a royal PITA! I put the large end on the frame first but I left the clamp loose. Then the left side and tightened the clamp. The right side is a little easier to get to. Get the one down and tightened. Once both carb ends were on tighten the clamp on the large end. It helps to use a bar against the frame and the lip of the boot to keep them in place on the carbs to tighten the clamps. Sorry got off track which bike the original post was for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.