Honda Shadow Forums banner

Pinched vent line?

9K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  bullzeyet 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the 1994 VT1100C Shadow has a vent line for the fuel tank or does the gas cap itself serve as the vent? I lifted my tank without completely removing it and didn't see a vent line. I can ride 100 miles no problems, get fuel, then ride 30 miles and it dies. Pop the gas cap, hear a big whoosh of air and all is well for another 30 to 100 miles or so. I priced gas caps and they must be made of gold. I'm planning on pulling my tank tomorrow and looking closer. Just wondering if I'm going to find anything.

#3 ·
It should have vent in the bottom of the tank? Does it have a round canister under the radiator? The hose runs down to that if, yes. Should be a nipple under the tank, blow air into that to clear it. The cap is NOT vented. If the nipple is clear hose is blocked.

#5 ·
I ran into this problem last year. I took the tank off for some reason and wasn't paying any attention to the vent hose and ended up pinching it. ran fine then about 10 miles or so I looked down and my tank was being sucked in from the top, made it kinda flat. With mine being a 95 and yours is a 94 then I'm gonna guess you have a vent tube on the bottom. I was lucky that my tank didn't get as bad as the photo that Big B posted. I was able to use a small layer of body filler on mine to smooth it back out.

#8 ·
ohmygosh!!! you guys got me worried now! I took a ride today and had a fuel problem. It's done it one other time. Had about 58 miles on the tank of gas and it sputtered like it was running out going about 70. No throttle response, switched it to reserve, it started going back normal, ran it that way a bit and then back. Did it once more, so switched it and then back... then ran fine the rest of the way. I would FREAK out if my gas tank started sucking down like that though!! o_O

#10 ·
I know this might be frowned upon but is there a way to eliminate the canister under the radiator and all the extra stuff associated with it? I have this same issue intermittently and it makes me think my evap system isn't working properly.

#14 ·
sopo......your problem might just be a need to change fuel filter. I'm not as well versed with the 750's but I wouldn't rule out a vent tube pinching in your case as well. Take a look at those little fold-over clamps that hold the black rubber tube. The just maybe pinching the hose nearly closed. Not sure if they are located like VT1100's in the plastic radiator cover.

Bro Eddie, ya can take all that stuff off (as per instructions from others) but I'd try to get it working first. Might just be a pinched hose or a filter to be changed. Besides, it maybe less costly than removing all the emissions stuff and re-jetting, syncing the carbs, etc, etc, etc.

Bullzeyet

#15 ·
sopo......your problem might just be a need to change fuel filter. I'm not as well versed with the 750's but I wouldn't rule out a vent tube pinching in your case as well. Take a look at those little fold-over clamps that hold the black rubber tube. The just maybe pinching the hose nearly closed. Not sure if they are located like VT1100's in the plastic radiator cover.

Bullzeyet
thanks. I am lacking in self confidence it seems. I don't have my bud here to oversee me this time. :( I can't even seem to find the frigging vent hose. I did change the spark plugs today. Hope I torqued them right. Couldn't remember how loud the click was last time to second guessing myself. Maybe cause I've been sick for 4 days and just worn out. Anyway, has new spark plugs in it, tried to find the fuel filter but wasn't sure what I was looking at or for so will go research that. In the meantime, got some seafoam and will run it through tomorrow (2 capfuls is right?) and go from there.

sorry for the hijack bro eddie :oops:

#16 ·
No problem sopo. Not really a highjack anyway.
I believe I have solved my tank issues. Disconnected the line from the canister and blew air into it with the gas cap open. No results. So I pulled the seats, removed the tank bolts, lifted the tank and blew air into it again. That worked. Gently set the tank back in place, pulling the vent line down as it went, seated the bolts and blew air again. The line remained unobstructed, so I reconnected the line to the canister, replaced the seats and started putting the tank bra back on. It started raining at that point so I stopped. I'll finish lacing the straps up after I eat and the rains subsides.

#17 ·
sopo, balderdash about this confidence thing!!!! I looked at your profile...web design scare's the crap outta me!:shock: If ya got an Owner's Manual or do a search on this board you'll find a few "pictures/downloads of service manuals" for yourself. Look at the pictures...compare to bike....shake your head...look at picture and viola.....duh...there it is!!!!:-D

Now, what's this thing about turtles??? Are YOU a turtle???

Bullzeyet

Bro Eddie: ya done good!

#18 ·
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I just like turtles. My hubby got me a sulcata tortoise hatchling when we first got together. She had such a personality. :)

I get my strength back up, I'll let you know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.