Honda Shadow Forums banner

83 750 Charging System

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  83 Black Shadow 
#1 ·
OK quick background is my battery was not charging and after a little troubleshooting, I found that the Stator was shorted to ground. So I replaced the Stator coil, my battery was also fried so I upgraded to a lithuim battery.

Started the bike and upon first check it was reading 14.4V at idle. I thought that was pretty good for still using the stock R/R.

Took it for a 30 min ride yesterday and when I got home pulled my DVM out to check it againg before shutting if off. It was now reading 15.3VDC at idle. Interestingly, I found the voltage increases with load. So with no lights on the voltage went down to 15.0V and goes up when the headlight it on. It does not change with RPM increase.

My first suspicion would be the R/R but I never have heard of one doing this before. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Your gonna want to test the RR. Find out what the amp draws are supposed to be at 1000rpms to 5000rpms and compare it. Get yourself a manual or down load one from here, i believe..lol

this will help too. its universal.

#5 ·
OK I think I know what the problem is now. That guide was very helpful thank you Captain.

Feedback (black wire) to the R/R is 1.2V lower than the output of the R/R. So somewhere along the line I have a bad connection. But that line goes through the ignition switch and the fuse block so I have a lot of tracing to do. This might just be a real pain in the ass. I might have to run a jumper wire temporarily.

Attachments

#7 ·
I suggest replacing your stock voltage regulator with a Mosfet regulator (Yamaha and others use them) which will upgrade your electrical system and be a lot better in the long run. I'm still running my stock stator too.
I replaced mine with a used on off of a Yamaha R1 and never looked back. I have 14.3 at idle and 14.7 with riding all my accessories turn on. I have heated grips, AM/FM auto radio, and driving lights and have no problems with keeping the battery fully charged while riding. I have an LED volt meter mounted on my dash to keep track of my battery and it never goes down to less than 13.5 volts now. The Mosfet regulator is the cat meow!

#8 ·
IF & When I gotta replace my regulator/rectifier it will be with the MOSFET unit...
Through the electrosport diagnosis I found my R/R to be the problem and replaced it with a stock item...
This was before I knew of these MOSFET units...
However, the replacement has been OK with my demands of the charging system...
( no extras ) ;)

Good Luck on this repair, 83...

#9 ·
I am aware of the MOSFET regulator upgrade and plan to do it when I have the cash.

But I did manage to fix the problem. I really didnt feel like tracing the wire and go through all the hassle, so I just installed a relay. Basically I used the feedback line to activate a 12V automotive relay that sends battery voltage back into the regulator. I now have 14.4V at the battery from idle all the way up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.