Honda Shadow Forums banner

HF bike lift

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  smilie 
#1 ·
Anyone looking for a lift?

Harbor Freight has their lift on coupon again for $69.99.
Display

Good till 4/24...

Ride safe!!

#3 ·
A lot of guys have them and like them. I don't have one yet but may get one now.

#4 ·
i have one. been using it for the last few years.
good value.
just make sure to use it on a flat and even sturdy surface and use tie downs to keep the bike secured on the lift.

great for the DYI'ers.

one note... the lift comes unassembled... so you do have to have some basic tool skills to put it together.
instructions are all there.

#6 ·
i have one. been using it for the last few years.

good value.

just make sure to use it on a flat and even sturdy surface and use tie downs to keep the bike secured on the lift.

great for the DYI'ers.

one note... the lift comes unassembled... so you do have to have some basic tool skills to put it together.

instructions are all there.

Instructions? Who needs those?

Sent from my recliner using Tapatalk, while thinking about riding my Shadow.

#5 ·
I have one and it works fine. I do need to make a little ride on platform to get the bike a bit higher so that I can put spacers on the lift to clear the bottom of the motor.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Aren't these lifts regularly $79.99 and with the 20% off coupon cheaper? Can we use use the coupon with the new sale price?

I've been on the fence on one for a while and according to the reviews, there are two models. One sits lower than the other and supposedly works better on our low-slung Shadows. I can't remember now the different part numbers, but you can find them reading the reviews, which it looks like I'll be doing again.

#11 ·
i have two of the yellow colored ones, I did have one fail on the jack, but they replaced it without any problems, told them I just take the jack, but they gave me a whole new lift. have had these for about 3 or 4 years now, don't use them much anymore, got a hydraulic lift table now, just ride the bike on, it locks front wheel, get off and run two safety straps, and good to go. :)

#14 ·
If it works, why not? I have found one occasion to use my lift, and I could have done the job without it. I bought mine for the 1 time a year I may need it. If I was lifting the bike regularly, I'd spend the extra $.

Sent from my recliner using Tapatalk, while thinking about riding my Shadow.

#16 · (Edited)
Those lifts don't fit/work well for my 05 750 Shadow... (I've tried both the HF and Sears lifts, returned em)
They don't fit/work well cause the engine case and water pump housing on VT750 Shadows extends lower than the frame rails - as PhantomRider mentions, spacers are required under the frame rails (to keep the lift arms from lifting via the engine case), and the spacers need to be way out on the very ends of the lift bars - Not a Good Fit for 750 Shadows...

#20 ·
Any of those lifts will work with your bike. You just have to think out of the box a bit. Adapters can be made from wood or steel, depending on your abilities. I made one from angle iron, 1" strap, and 3/4" iron pipe for the son's '94 1100 and another from wood for my '07 spirit and both work well.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, either the Sears or HF lifts "Can" can be made to work with our VT750's - BUT - they don't work "outa-the-box" and Adapters HAVE to be made to get em to work! It's not an out-the-box solution - immediate modifications are Required!
If I was back on the farm/or had access to a cuttin torch, welder, and a pile a scrap metal I could make a Nice/Safe set of adapters in a few hours, custom made just for my VT750 shadow... but I dont have access to metal shop now - and if one would take one a these type lifts to a local metal shop they'd charge more than the price of the lift to just make a set of adapters. When and if I get access to a a metal shop I'll get one a those type lifts and make a nice set of adapters - and i'll probably get the sears lift cause it goes lower, Sears lift can get under about 4.5" - the HF lift about 5.5". (and that's another problem, gettin the lift with spacers/adapters under the Bike! )
Give one a try, just be forewarned and prepared to return, there are mods required and a height(getting it under the bike) solution to be found...

Till then, I'm using a Black Widow Motorcycle Jack - 1,100 lb Capacity .
It's not bad, easy to use right outa the box, for getting either end of the bike up off the ground.
To get both wheels up offa the ground, I jack the rear end up and block it up at that height, then lower the jack, slide it to the front and raise the front - Walla, both wheels off the ground so I can remove both wheels and take em both in for new rubber. It's not the best, but not bad.
There's only one trick necessary - the jack with the adapters won't slip under the bike when on the kickstand - I put a 2x4 or a brick(prefect!) under the kickstand to get the bike to stand almost straight up - then the jack and all slides under the bike and is positioned easily with room to spare. Not bad, solid on the jack and blocks, and do it all by myself safely pretty quickly.

Or there is another one that sure looks very similar to the Black Widow: thru Walmart
Extreme Max 1100-Pound Motorcycle Scissors Jack
This sure look just like the Black Widow, And $20 bucks less expensive...
Sure looks it will work well also.

Take your pick, Our VT750 Spirits just dont make it easy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.