Honda Shadow Forums banner

engine quits while riding then nothing...

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  idgeek 
#1 ·
happened twice.. once I had to call the "tow" truck!

it's a 92 Steed 600. She started fine, But as I ride awhile, I noticed the engine starts to sputter a little... But when I open the throttle, she seems to respond well...

But as I ride more, the engine stops.

When I try to restart her, I hear the started motor whine, but the engine doesn't turn at all.

I'm sensing there are a couple of different issues. Engine sputtering and engine not turning might be different issues.. or may be not.

any ideas ?

thanks in advance.

#7 ·
thanks for the reply! When I try to start her, there is no response at the engine. I mean the engine dosen't even try to start.

Last time this happened, it was with a freshly recharged battery. So may be the battery isn't being recharged while I'm riding?

#3 ·
Possibly your gas vent, if it's clogged you may have a vacuum in your tank causing it to starve for fuel. Next time it starts to sputter, open the gas cap and see if that helps.

#4 ·
This could be a couple of things. Like @smurfy711 said, it might be the gas tank vent tube being clogged, and taking off the gas cap will let you know if that's what the problem is, as the bike will start and run fine without the cap on, but when you put the cap back on, it will die a little later. Another possibility is the coils. If there is a crack in the coil, it will run fine for a while, until that coil heats up and separates, causing the bike to die, and not be able to start until it's cooled off enough to get closer together so the spark can jump the gap again, and then runs until it heats up and separates and dies again. You should also check the 3-yellow wires, as that can cause all kinds of trouble, including not starting or dying. You can get a replacement for that connector for about $3, if it's burned/fried. Another possibility is the start switch itself. Open the switch housing, and check it for loose wires and good contact, clean it, and put it back together. However, that usually is seen with pushing the start button, and nothing happens but the lights going out.

#12 ·
He actually said the motor whines, but won't turn.

I think this needs more clarification. Is the starter turning causing the whine? Is the motor seized? I would then be looking at an over heating issue.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.