2011 Shadow RS..Reliable Retro or Ridiculous? - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #41 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnus2000 View Post
The RS fills a nice little nitch that IMO is missing in the metric lineup, the return of the standard riding position to the Honda cruiser lineup( not counting the Goldwing). And even if it is a retro style bike yearning back to the days of the Scrambler, it also competes directly with the HD Sportster.

I have not ridden an RS but I have sat on one and yes, it's a tall bike and even a little top heavy. That's not a bad thing as you prolly can carve up the twisties and truly lean into those curves.
As far as the standard riding position, this (for me) is far more comfortable than the legs foward position offered on most cruisers and on long rides, you have more options for leg comfort. In fact, the standard riding position was one of the reasons I am riding the bike I currently ride.

Kudos to Honda for the RS!

I wonder if RS stands for Retro-Scrambler?
I agree. If I was looking for a strictly standard commuter with a V,the RS would fit the bill nicely. A nicer looking street oriented V Strom.

I don;t care for the feet forward controls on most cruisers (hence my longer bolt on to the stock floorboards) Too much body weight centered on the small of the back. No leg support. Honda has not made a decent standard since the old Sabre and CD customs. RS looks to be the go to bike for those who want a zippy handing low rev higher torque "cruiser" without the downsides of the longer rake, feet forward. sloppy slow speed handling.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 06-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #42 (permalink)

Garage

After living with a RS for three months, I still like the short wheel base, as it is easy to park in my parking space which is shared with my car. I have long legs so I was more in the higher ride height. My main complaint, which I knew before purchasing is the small ten litre fuel tank, and having to plan routes accordingly, I need fuel before I get sore and need to stretch, the only positive is that you do not have to remove the tank to access the top of the engine. Chain drive does not bother me as all I have ever known is chain drives. Am not bothered by the rear drum brake, this is my first bike with a disc brake. Fuel injection, what nice modern technology.
eviee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Ravo

When I sat on one it felt amazingly like the 83-87 VT700 / VT750 Shadow, only with a firmer seat. I liked the idea but if I'm looking for a standard then I'll just buy a Triumph. I just found the Bonneville to beat the RS in looks, handling, power, and price. Kind of a win / win / win / win against Honda.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #44 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravo View Post
When I sat on one it felt amazingly like the 83-87 VT700 / VT750 Shadow, only with a firmer seat. I liked the idea but if I'm looking for a standard then I'll just buy a Triumph. I just found the Bonneville to beat the RS in looks, handling, power, and price. Kind of a win / win / win / win against Honda.

WOW you are right on so many levels....Did not realize how much better the Bonnie was on paper.

2011 Triumph Bonneville VS 2010 Honda VT750 Shadow RS - Comparison - Cycle Canada
Old 07-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
How's this?

I love this look! does anyone know what kind of parts would work on the RS to give it that scrambler look?
Mud tires? Seats? Bars?
Let me know!
maybe i should bring this to the RS thread.

2010 Honda Shadow RS
Tylerpak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Ravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
WOW you are right on so many levels....Did not realize how much better the Bonnie was on paper.

2011 Triumph Bonneville VS 2010 Honda VT750 Shadow RS - Comparison - Cycle Canada
That site has bad info. The Honda engine produces only about 39 horsepower & 43lbs torque and has a chain drive instead of a shaft. The Canadian RS might be different, but I doubt it. Most of what I said came from sitting on the bikes and seeing them in person, and not what I've read online.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #47 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravo View Post
That site has bad info. The Honda engine produces only about 39 horsepower & 43lbs torque and has a chain drive instead of a shaft. The Canadian RS might be different, but I doubt it. Most of what I said came from sitting on the bikes and seeing them in person, and not what I've read online.
here are a few more....consensus is the Bonnie is the better buy,

2011 Triumph Bonneville vs 2011 Honda Shadow RS

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE VS 2010 Honda VT750 Shadow RS - Comparison - Cycle Canada

2011 Honda Shadow RS vs 2011 Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

Ok the last one was just funny......
Old 07-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Why would you want higher pegs, right under your seat
Because that's where they belong? The feet-out-front posture is appropriate for a La-Z-Boy recliner, not a motorcycle.

From a former cruiser rider whose lower back is still recovering from the experience.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #49 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Because that's where they belong? The feet-out-front posture is appropriate for a La-Z-Boy recliner, not a motorcycle.

From a former cruiser rider whose lower back is still recovering from the experience.
YEP . Mike what people don't understand is the "easy boy" recliner look on a controls forward cruiser only looks comfortable because the body is in the same position....however they forget when actually in a real recliner the body weight is supported evenly from head to toe. Not centered on the small of the back..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #50 (permalink)

Garage

I really like the Bonneville T120. It is on my wish list. I do like the fact that my RS is liquid cooled and it just rides great.
dismaltrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.