2011 Shadow RS..Reliable Retro or Ridiculous? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2011 Shadow RS..Reliable Retro or Ridiculous?

I was checking out the 2011 RS on the Powersports website and came away with the following questions: Why would you want higher pegs, right under your seat (the ad says for an "athletic posture"). The Spirt is already painful to ride for more than 100 miles unless you ditch the stock seat for a Mustang seat. And the shorter front end with less rake? OK...I understand that it's supposed to hark back to the 60's and 70's, but why would you pay 7k for this bike when you could buy a restored bike from that period for less, providing you with a better investment. I love the Shadow line and own a Shadow 750, but the RS just doesn't make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	312  

"I'm not riding faster until I see banjos!"
moonshado93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

A couple of issues:

1. the bike is designed to be like the late 70s, early 80s Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM).

2. Less rake makes for more responsive steering.

Sure, it's got your feet under you (some call that a 'classic' position') but the Spirit has a 27.5 inch seat height while the RS is 29.4--doesn't sound like much but sit on one and see what you think!

The fuel injection on my Phantom is money-on and I assume the same for the RS. IF you're a 40-50 something and want to harken back to the day--without the oil stains, hard to find parts, messing with points, or any of that old school stuff? Then the RS makes perfect sense. IF you were Honda and wanted into the Retro market it makes sense. The only question is how many guys are in the market for a reliable ride that LOOKS like it's something Steve McQueen might have considered?

Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://www.HowzitDoneCrash.com
CaptCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

You make some good points, CaptCrash, and I do dig the hill-climber look with the fork boots and all. Unlike Steve in the Great Escape, I'd settle for the lower seat and lower center of gravity. Oh yeah...like to stretch my legs out on those highway jaunts, too. At age 60, the legs tend to cramp up and fall asleep. While you're hanging out here, I have a question related to the fuel injection on your Phantom. What's the h.p. rated with that? Same as the standard 750 Spirit?

"I'm not riding faster until I see banjos!"

Last edited by moonshado93; 01-16-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Typos
moonshado93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

The RS fills a nice little nitch that IMO is missing in the metric lineup, the return of the standard riding position to the Honda cruiser lineup( not counting the Goldwing). And even if it is a retro style bike yearning back to the days of the Scrambler, it also competes directly with the HD Sportster.

I have not ridden an RS but I have sat on one and yes, it's a tall bike and even a little top heavy. That's not a bad thing as you prolly can carve up the twisties and truly lean into those curves.
As far as the standard riding position, this (for me) is far more comfortable than the legs foward position offered on most cruisers and on long rides, you have more options for leg comfort. In fact, the standard riding position was one of the reasons I am riding the bike I currently ride.

Kudos to Honda for the RS!

I wonder if RS stands for Retro-Scrambler?

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gmck

I would love a new UJM. The seating position to me is better. With your feet more under you you can use your legs to take big bumps. With the cruiser style it is only your butt and back that take the beating. My Moto Guzzi was more upright and hands down more comfortable for long distance riding. Will have to check out the new Honda soon. At least we are getting some choise between cruiser and sportbikes.
gmck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshado93 View Post
You make some good points, CaptCrash, and I do dig the hill-climber look with the fork boots and all. Unlike Steve in the Great Escape, I'd settle for the lower seat and lower center of gravity. Oh yeah...like to stretch my legs out on those highway jaunts, too. At age 60, the legs tend to cramp up and fall asleep. While you're hanging out here, I have a question related to the fuel injection on your Phantom. What's the h.p. rated with that? Same as the standard 750 Spirit?
Around 36. I'm not sure on the Spirit but I'd assume the same.

Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://www.HowzitDoneCrash.com
CaptCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnus2000 View Post
The RS fills a nice little nitch that IMO is missing in the metric lineup, the return of the standard riding position to the Honda cruiser lineup( not counting the Goldwing). And even if it is a retro style bike yearning back to the days of the Scrambler, it also competes directly with the HD Sportster.

I have not ridden an RS but I have sat on one and yes, it's a tall bike and even a little top heavy. That's not a bad thing as you prolly can carve up the twisties and truly lean into those curves.
As far as the standard riding position, this (for me) is far more comfortable than the legs foward position offered on most cruisers and on long rides, you have more options for leg comfort. In fact, the standard riding position was one of the reasons I am riding the bike I currently ride.

Righteous Scooter?

markspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

That's the way I feel. I've ridden thousands of miles on a road bike (racing bicycle), and in the curves long to be leaned forward more with my feet under me ... still adjusting to the cruiser seating.

I'm very drawn to standard bikes (not sport bikes though) and the RS seems to strike a nice balance.

Old dogs, and children, and Watermelon Wine

-- Tom T. Hall

Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I saw one / sat on one at the DC bike show......meh.

But I agree that it does fill a niche that is lacking. That being said, I don't like the direction Honda is going as far as cruisers go. Seems they are going for the Victory-Visionish type of style......double meh.

Folks gathered around the RS and the 'Wings.....and that was it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank the good Lord I bought my 2007 750 Shadow before the design abortions after the 2009 model year.

They made the 750 line Butt Ugly IMHO.

And I agree the Honda design direction doesn't do much for me.

Have the same feeling about the VTX line. Glad I got an 1800 before the ruined that entire line also.

•••••••••••••••••••••

•••••••••••••••••••••

•••••••••••••••••••••

750 Mods / Accessories
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

•••••••••••••••••••••••
2007 VT750C2
2006 VTX 1800C3
2007 CMX 250

•••••••••••••••••••••••
rjtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement