Upgrade lustin' ... VTX1300R - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upgrade lustin' ... VTX1300R

Okay, I suppose you all warned me (well, general warnings posted here) about how your first bike won't be your permanent bike, etc. etc. I still nevertheless dumped coin into my 6 yr old Aero 750 with paint and accessories, and although I'm not necessarily sorry I did it, I now have bigger bike lust. Lots.

Rode a 2007 VTX1300 over the weekend. The R (retro) has some of the same features I love about my Aero (big fenders, long low slung retro looks). There must be a surplus of NOS because several dealers in the region are blowing out NEW 2007 VTX1300's at $6499 and I'm thinking I can't avoid pulling the trigger.

There's even a dealer up in SW Kansas who has a couple of 2009's at $6999. What's wrong with this picture? Why are these bikes still around and so cheap?

I was amazed how it didn't feel heavier and more unweildy than the 750 ... I am sure it will be heavier if I drop it (by about 150 lbs, if my math is right) but in terms of just uprighting the bike and taking off, and then cornering or even slow figure eights in the parking lot, I was duly impressed.

Thoughts, observations, brickbats? Special VTX1300 pros and cons?

Old dogs, and children, and Watermelon Wine

-- Tom T. Hall

Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you had a 1100 I would say it's not worth it because the power to the 1300 wont be enough to justify, The 1800 VTX is a beast but WOW does it feel top heavy but the 1300 I agree is a nice bike, much better weight than the 1800 and looks really good, I think a lot of bikes are sitting as left overs due to the economy and nobody has the extra to buy brand new when there are tons of used going for good prices, I picked up my dirtbike for $3999 out the door as a 2006 leftover and the 2008 was going for over $7000 (this was the fall of 2008 ) and the bikes did not change that much so if you have the money, I say go for it.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293

Last edited by Dauntae; 03-20-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I like the overall look of the VTX but something about the aesthetics of the motor turn me off. Not to mention the plastichrome valve covers. The same with a lot of the newer Harley motors.

Martin
Kingshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

708 lbs for the 1300, 714 for 1800, ready to ride. You won't notice any weight difference.
They are both essentially the same bike, except for the extra 500cc and the gas it burns up.

Those bikes are around because people got scared when Honda announced they would stop making them. Also, there are other bikes in that range that have a lot to offer. (See my vstar endorsement). I also agree with Kingshead about the motor...."Clunky" comes to mind.

I test rode an 1800 but did not want to go with that big of an engine. I took out a 1300 and liked it. To me it was a little more work at slow speeds and I chalked that up to bumping up from a 750. Then I tried the Vstar 1300 and liked it much better. Might want to try one if you are serious about bumping up to a bigger bike. I think the Star is a little bit more bike for the money but the deals on the vtx are hard to beat.

Good luck on your quest and don't forget to post pics of the new bike.

Come on, you know you're gonna get one....

Last edited by vito; 03-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.
vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wish Honda still made the VTX. I just don't like the look of the Interstate.
Memphis Fats windshield
Saddlemen Saddlebags
Cobra Highway Bars
Mustang Seat
dpudim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

No comment except to say....look at the sig.

2005 Honda VTX1300R
2004 Honda Aero 750--Sold March 2011
nuncles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is hard to go wrong at $6499. Of course once you roll over the curb you now own a bike that is 4 years old, and is worth what a 4 year old bike is worth. Nobody is going to care that you bought it yesterday if you have buyers remorse the following morning. Just be sure that is what you want if you decide to pull the trigger.
Lantesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

JayTee, I just sold my 2006 Aero 750 and bought a 2006 VTX 1300r, and I love it! It was absolutely the right thing for me to do. I have not gotten pictures of it yet to post, yes I know the rules! But it was a real bargain. It only cost me $500 to upgrade from the Aero and this thing is loaded! Only needed some cleaning! Pull the trigger, you wont be upset!
Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tee View Post
Okay, I suppose you all warned me (well, general warnings posted here) about how your first bike won't be your permanent bike, etc. etc. I still nevertheless dumped coin into my 6 yr old Aero 750 with paint and accessories, and although I'm not necessarily sorry I did it, I now have bigger bike lust. Lots.

Rode a 2007 VTX1300 over the weekend. The R (retro) has some of the same features I love about my Aero (big fenders, long low slung retro looks). There must be a surplus of NOS because several dealers in the region are blowing out NEW 2007 VTX1300's at $6499 and I'm thinking I can't avoid pulling the trigger.

There's even a dealer up in SW Kansas who has a couple of 2009's at $6999. What's wrong with this picture? Why are these bikes still around and so cheap?

I was amazed how it didn't feel heavier and more unweildy than the 750 ... I am sure it will be heavier if I drop it (by about 150 lbs, if my math is right) but in terms of just uprighting the bike and taking off, and then cornering or even slow figure eights in the parking lot, I was duly impressed.

Thoughts, observations, brickbats? Special VTX1300 pros and cons?
Those year models still have carbs. Most are wanting FI now. Plus, gas mileage is another consideration.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

They may weigh close to the same but the weight is lower on the 1300, it feels so much more balanced. I have sat on both one right after the other. there are both in my riding group and the friend with the 1800 feels the same but he likes the power. way overkill to me.

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement