Brand New Rider - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Brand New Rider

I just purchased my first bike. A 1999 Honda Shadow VT600C/VLX with 13,500 miles for $1,000.

I took the motorcycle course, and it was moderately helpful with handling but the instructors were not very into answering questions. To be honest, I am not sure what questions I should ask, so I will start with these:

1. Does anyone have any pointers for a new rider?
2. My bike sputters a bit in lower gears, any suggestions on what it could be?
3. The chain it a little loose but it doesn't look to be in awesome shape. Should I replace it instead of tightening? Are there any risks to running on a bad chain aside from breaking down?
Kerrieintheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums! Excellent buy on your bike. Please post pics when you can!

1. For a brand new rider just out of MSF, you should take your bike and practice your drills in a parking lot and then slowly venture to busier and busier roads as you get more comfortable. There's also a sticky above that has riding tips as well. It's a good read.

2. Kinda hard to know what's going on without seeing it, so can you elaborate on what you mean by sputtering? Is it jerking back and forth in lower gears (like a car would with a manual transmission and a driver learning how to use it)? Might be normal and can be lessened with more experience on the bike. Or do you mean something else?

3. Chains and sprockets on a VLX are usually good for up to 15-18k miles (in my experience). Yours is probably okay but don't forget it needs to be greased every 500 miles. I prefer a product called Chain Wax as it doesn't get flipped all over the bike when you apply it. However, if it does bother you, then get it replaced. Remember that you should replace chain and sprockets at the same time to get the best results and longer life.
You're right. I could die riding my bike. I could also die while driving my cage. I could die while crossing the street. I could die from cancer. I don't live life worrying about what might kill me. I just enjoy life as I see fit.
Angela

"The Flying Purple People Eater"
2001 Honda Magna 750: ride bell from I-AM-TIM and Daunte's grip ends
Dunesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

to the hoard. Good find and ride safe, keep it on the low side.

Martin
Kingshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome
Check out ride like a pro
Try some seafoam or berrymans check plugs invest in a Honda manual
replace

In 2008, 42% of fatally injured bikers were not wearing helmets; 30 states do not require helmets for all motorcyclists.

So it's safer to not wear a helmet, as 58% deaths WERE wearing a helmet
tclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello and welcome!

Chimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome, newbie! Conga Rats on the new whip, what a deal!

Getcha some good gear (preferably armored, IMHO), don't ride beyond your abilities, and most importantly, have fun!

If you're not very handy with a wrench, take your new baby to a local bike shop. They'd appreciate the business, and you can rest safe knowing that a professional had a look-see and gave it his blessing!

Once again, welcome!

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul." - Anonymous

2007 Spirit 750, bone stock. Silky smooth and as reliable as an anvil. RIDE RED!
Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome.

When you buy an older bike you might as well change all the fluids,plugs,filters and replace chain if necessary. Why not?A few bucks now could save you a lot of money and headaches later on.

And as far as running with a bad chain... Imagine your chain breaking and getting caught in your wheel and locking it up at 65 mph. Might mess your day up a little.Why risk your life to save 30 bucks?

97 Shadow A.C.E 1100
04 Kawasaki ZX-10R
97_ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Welcome and what everyone else said...

'05 Honda Shadow Aero

'72 CB350 K4

'79 C50 Cub
beatswalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
-AJ

welcome!

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome and grats! Lot's of great advice already given. Practice Practice Practice. Ride like your invisible. Be safe out there.
Green Knights MMC Chapter 63
U.S. Army Aviation: 1977-1983

Blkhwkdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement