96 shadow 1100 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 96 shadow 1100

have been trying to figure out the diff in the 97-03 shadow and the 96...something tells me they are different...
my bud who owns it is dummer than a rock...but a car...he can fix anything...bikes must scare him...he got it from his bro who passed recently from the big c...we are old farts over 60...thats all you need to know but we may have forgotten more than you know now...just not honda m/c...

up front...i am a harley guy...but with a manual or intstruction i can fix it...

the problem...oil is pouring out of the clutch assist hydralic doohicky...the one that pushes the long rod to work the main basket...there is a "notch" in the casing...and its coming out of that place...is there a gasket like rubber piece that fits in the thing...

if you aint ever seen this or worked on it then you probably have quit reading...gooooood...i dont need any dumb advice...if you know what i am talking about then great...what goes in there to keep the pressure of the oil used to assist this clutch thing in working the cluctch discs/plates from leaking all over the ground...some kind of gasket thing?

and where c an i get a 96 honda official service manual...if i had it...i wouldnt be asking all these questions...

thanks if you can help
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
have been trying to figure out the diff in the 97-03 shadow and the 96...something tells me they are different...
my bud who owns it is dummer than a rock...but a car...he can fix anything...bikes must scare him...he got it from his bro who passed recently from the big c...we are old farts over 60...thats all you need to know but we may have forgotten more than you know now...just not honda m/c...

up front...i am a harley guy...but with a manual or intstruction i can fix it...

the problem...oil is pouring out of the clutch assist hydralic doohicky...the one that pushes the long rod to work the main basket...there is a "notch" in the casing...and its coming out of that place...is there a gasket like rubber piece that fits in the thing...

if you aint ever seen this or worked on it then you probably have quit reading...gooooood...i dont need any dumb advice...if you know what i am talking about then great...what goes in there to keep the pressure of the oil used to assist this clutch thing in working the cluctch discs/plates from leaking all over the ground...some kind of gasket thing?

and where c an i get a 96 honda official service manual...if i had it...i wouldnt be asking all these questions...

thanks if you can help
mmm you have a friendly way about you don't you..oh well

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

There some motor and styling differences. The manual for 97 plus will work for this issue and many more. The part #s and placement may differ but function and repair steps pretty much the same.

Tell your Idiot auto mechanic friend. That a bike is basically just a car with fewer wheels and no bumper. Remember the V-8 motor is just a V-Twin CLONE with 6 extra cylinders.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

...buy a Clymers manual online...

...the leaking is coming from an O ring behind the hydraulic slave which is supposed to keep the oil from coming out the thru shaft...it gets worn out as the shaft goes in and out...

...go to Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports and find your bike and then look for the left crankcase assembly...

bedhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are some minor differences between the newer '97 and newer 1100s and the '96s. The '96 1100s have a 4 speed transmission and the '97 and later added a gear so they are 5 speeds. The horns are mounted in a different spot (both sides of the engine) on the '96. The front header pipe on the '96 goes over the side of the engine instead of down in the front than back like the '97 and later ones do.
The oil leak you are referring to is probably the slave cylinder seal leaking, which is an easy fix, just takes an hour or so.

This is an old photo of my bike with the old stock pipes on it:

And now with a set of pipes off of an '02 on it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

crazydave...i would have thought someone such as you with over 12k posts would have had something more positive to say...is it cause you are from nh...oh well...

93gc40...so what or where is the part i need...give me more info

bedhead...tried to find it in the post you referenced and painter d also mentioned...dang if i could find it...a little more info or specific location would be most appreciated...

remember i said it had a notch in the casing...what goes in that notch to keep the oil from pouring out...is it a "seal" or something...

thanks...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
crazydave...i would have thought someone such as you with over 12k posts would have had something more positive to say...is it cause you are from nh...oh well...

93gc40...so what or where is the part i need...give me more info

bedhead...tried to find it in the post you referenced and painter d also mentioned...dang if i could find it...a little more info or specific location would be most appreciated...

remember i said it had a notch in the casing...what goes in that notch to keep the oil from pouring out...is it a "seal" or something...

thanks...
I did, and do, read..much advice, look around look.how it was asked. My being from NH has nothing to do with it. The way you came off in your OP did. Sorry if I misjudged you, I don't usually smell troll as quickly as some and I may have been incorrect. Then again I may have been in the wrong mood at the moment, I can be an ass like that.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

ok crazy dave...lets move on...and i was just kidding about the nh thing...

lets see if i get an answer to these two concerns...

1. where can i get a 96 (not a multiyear clymer/haynes manual) manual from Honda...cant find one on ebay right now...

2.the slave cylinder (as it has been called) fits into a cavity or hole or opening that assists in the clutch operation (by i assume hydralic like action from engine oil) and the cavity area has a notch at the bottom of the casing where the oil is flowing...what seals this notch to stop the flow...dang i can barely understand what i am asking!!!

painterd...i could not find the part where you suggested

thanks guys...
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Your right, I'm also confused by the discription of your leak. I guess get the shop manual and go from there.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

A picture of what you are dealing with would help, clarify.
Need to try to determine source of leak to fix the leak. It is Motor oil or dirty Brake Fluid.

The clutch is hydaulic operated from the master cylinder and reservior on the left grip, it uses DOT 4 Brake fluid. The Motor oil leak is coming from either a leak in the cases or most likely the O-Ring where the clutch rod goes into the case. The slave cylinder has a hard rubber spacer/gasket that goes between the slave and the case. There is a weep hole in the gasket. Not sure why.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.