Tune-up Tach? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Tune-up Tach?

After performing a search of this forum and not finding relevant information, I decided to post a question to the group. If there is a thread already addressing this topic, I do apologize for the duplication and will willingly take my lumps.

I am Not looking for a permanent mounted tach, just need one for some tune-up/carb work that I need to perform. Most of the external tachs that I have found are set-up/designed for automobiles, do any of you know of a tach that works/plays well with the Honda V-Twin? One that measures in the 50 RPM range would be outstanding.

Let the info flood begin.

Patriot Guard Riders
Freedom Cruisers Riding Club (Chapter 44)
United American Riders
Riders for the Cure
don3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Chopped 02 Shadow

I looked for the same thing, but i cannot find one. Even doing a search online.

This is how to add a picture to your signature.
2002 Shadow Spirit 750DC Owners Manual

Mine ~> 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 Bobber
Hers ~> 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Chopped 02 Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Finding one that reads off a lead that just temporarily clips over a spark plug wire would be nice. An automotive tach would be looking for a 4 cycle, 4 cylinder, wouldnt you just divide or multiply a reading X2 if you had such a automotive tach?
I used to work on Stihl chainsaws years ago at a rental yard. We had this portable LCD tach that just clipped over the spark plug wire for dialing in the carb. That was a 2 cycle though. But you get the idea.
I'd be afraid to just take a off the shelf generic tach and try to integrate it into my electrical system. I know I'd smoke a CDI or something I cant afford to replace, or not know what I burnt and have to take it to the dealer. But.....thats just me and my luck with electronics.

2009 Shadow Spirit.
Ride Bell By Chopped 02 Shadow
" Life's A Do-Over "
dezdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

One of these will do the job.

Electronic Specialties 328 - EZ Tach +PLUS | eBay

verdeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdeva View Post
Thanks. It looks like this might do the job. See, I knew one of you guys or gals would have a good answer for me. This group is great.

Patriot Guard Riders
Freedom Cruisers Riding Club (Chapter 44)
United American Riders
Riders for the Cure
don3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought this on ebay a couple of weeks ago for under $20, to be used for checking and setting idle speed RPMS (mine was 200 RPMs too low) and repairs. It's meant to be a permanently-mounted electronic Hobbs (hour) meter and basic tach, but it attaches just fine temporarily by winding the sensor wire end around a spark plug cable a few times. It seems to work just fine as it is, but it can be set for a variety of engine types. It's so small and light weight that it can be carried in a basic tool kit.

Just search for this on ebay:

Tachometer Hour meter 2 4 Stroke Small Engine Spark
shrinkwrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkwrap View Post
I bought this on ebay a couple of weeks ago for under $20, to be used for checking and setting idle speed RPMS (mine was 200 RPMs too low) and repairs. It's meant to be a permanently-mounted electronic Hobbs (hour) meter and basic tach, but it attaches just fine temporarily by winding the sensor wire end around a spark plug cable a few times. It seems to work just fine as it is, but it can be set for a variety of engine types. It's so small and light weight that it can be carried in a basic tool kit.

Just search for this on ebay:

Tachometer Hour meter 2 4 Stroke Small Engine Spark

Tachometer Hour meter 2 4 Stroke Small Engine Spark | eBay

markspike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Chopped 02 Shadow

How does that work? Its kind of what i was looking for. (wanted a dial gauge, but that would work). Its cheap. I might be able to modify it to look built in to the bike..

Has anyone tried to use a Tachometer from a different model Honda?

This is how to add a picture to your signature.
2002 Shadow Spirit 750DC Owners Manual

Mine ~> 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 Bobber
Hers ~> 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Last edited by Chopped 02 Shadow; 05-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Chopped 02 Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Stock tachs are not usually accurate enough for tuning work. I've used them my whole life for tuning, but I have fould the can be 50-100 rpm off, sometime more.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.