Got smoked by a Yamaha - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Got smoked by a Yamaha

Now, I don't condone urban street racing, and I'm mostly a law abiding guy, but where I live there are miles of deserted 2 lane blacktop. Riding with a buddy yesterday, he has a carbureted Yamaha Road Star 1700 with Cobra slip ons and a Cobra jet kit. We decided to do a little one-on-one for a mile or so from a dead stop. Bottom line, he smoked me from the start and I never caught him. Both our bikes have a top end of just over 100, and he never got more than about 5 car lengths ahead, but I just couldn't catch him with my stock 750. Darn it, I knew it was a bad idea to put in the jet kit for him

Time for nitrous...?

2009 Spirit 750
Normspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wouldn't be surprised as he has 1000cc more than you, and a jet kit with pipes.

Also, gearing has a factor in drag racing. Not sure how the Spirit vs Road Star is geared, but I know my Sabre 1100 can smoke Spririt 1100s in a 0-60 battle, due to the Sabre being geared lower.
azangri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normspeed View Post
Now, I don't condone urban street racing, and I'm mostly a law abiding guy, but where I live there are miles of deserted 2 lane blacktop. Riding with a buddy yesterday, he has a carbureted Yamaha Road Star 1700 with Cobra slip ons and a Cobra jet kit. We decided to do a little one-on-one for a mile or so from a dead stop. Bottom line, he smoked me from the start and I never caught him. Both our bikes have a top end of just over 100, and he never got more than about 5 car lengths ahead, but I just couldn't catch him with my stock 750. Darn it, I knew it was a bad idea to put in the jet kit for him

Time for nitrous...?
Sure...blame it on the bike. ...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like that 1700 needs some work! If yall went a whole mile and he was only 5 car lengths ahead then something ain't right.
My 750 should run a mid 14 second quarter mile. I know the Honda 1800s run mid 12s so I'm guessing that that 1700 might run in the 13s somewhere. Not sure of it's weight and gearing.

The difference between a 13 second quarter mile and a 15 second quarter mile is maybe a little more than 5 cars... At a quarter of a mile. Usually by then the trap speeds are at least at 80mph.
He had to have let off and just cruised at 100-110 or so. I've done 100+ on my 750 (on the speedo at least, which is off I know), but it didn't take a whole mile to get up to that speed.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

The other day I was driving my Subaru on the highway and a Ferrari blew by me and I couldn't catch him.

I wasn't surprised.
Old (sold) - 2003 Shadow Spirit 750
jordan.harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did you expect you beat a 1700 on a 750??

02 Yamaha WR426
71 Honda CB175
byggd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

I agree, that Yamaha should be ashamed unless he had a couple girls on with him, then it might be respectable!!

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid" - John Wayne
MD 20/21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sure. I'm an optimist.

His Yammie is a really heavy bike, all metal, not much plastic. I was hoping I'd at least pull him through first and second. I've ridden his and it is a real torque monster.

Actually I didn't hope to beat him, just having some fun. I was pleased that my little 750 did as well as it did. And, yes, even from brand new, the 1700 seems to top out at around 105 or so. I noticed some folks asking about the low top end over on the Road Star clinic and the replies are sort of disgruntled "It's not about top end with these bikes" kind of stuff.

2009 Spirit 750

Last edited by Normspeed; 07-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Normspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normspeed View Post

Time for nitrous...?
Nope, time for a super sport touring machine... You could have beat him without shifting out of 3rd gear...lol
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Five lengths in a mile. There somethings wrong with the Yamaha. I know my shadow would put a stock 750 about 1/8 mile back after a mile. I also know that in a mile my 1100 would be ahead of the roadstar, pulling away.
I lost to a FZR600 once in a 1/4 by about 5 lengths, but I expected to loose. Was happy with 5 lengths. Beat him though when I started 3 lengths ahead.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.