VT700C 1985 Side covers - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iceland
Posts: 188
VT700C 1985 Side covers

Hi all

Does anyone know where i can find me some side covers for my bike that don't cost me big bucks ?

Thanks

Cheers from ICELAND
BJORI
Honda Shadow 700 1985
Bjori is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SE Nebraska
Posts: 225
International shipping is going to be killer, so i think you may be doomed either way.

Most of the side covers i have seen are running around $75 US, plus shipping.

CB750K_id is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Member
 
JVince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 300
We just went through this a few months ago. We got lucky on local craigslist and e-bay finds. Had to buy the right side one twice, seeing that the first one flew off. Zip tie fix should take care of that!


JVince is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SE Nebraska
Posts: 225
haha jvince one of mine has electrical tape wrapped around one of the studs to increase the diameter so it would stay on

CB750K_id is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Member
 
JVince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750K_id View Post
haha jvince one of mine has electrical tape wrapped around one of the studs to increase the diameter so it would stay on
Hmm. Not a bad idea. The rubber gasket for the hole side of the mount is missing on ours so I rigged a replacement, but building up the stud side might be easier.

A interesting footnote to that story: I was riding a few hundred feet behind the wife when her side cover flew off. She knew it cut loose so we pulled over. As luck would have it it landed smack on the center line of the road. It looked like it would survive with just a few scratches. That is, until some jackhole in his pickup truck made a lane change and flattened it. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but there wasn't another car on the road, no exit in sight, and we were standing on the shoulder waiting to pick the cover up. Some people...


JVince is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Earthling789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, Kentucky
Posts: 1,706
I've given up looking for a used one (I'm missing left side)... The two I've found so far are POS, and they still wanted war-prices for them... one didn't even have studs on the back!

I've decided, when I get some spare change... I'll just order from the eBay store in the UK... They run about $78 + $8 shipping (depending on current exchange rates), and are supposed to be very good quality... but you'll have to paint them (they only come white), and buy the emblems, too, if you want to have "stock" look.

Here's their eBay storefront: Side Fairings, Front top fairings items in Motorcycle Fairings store on eBay!

Current -
2002 VT1100C2 Sabre
1985 VT700C Shadow
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"


Earthling789 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 10
On ebay for my '86 vt500c I found a right side cover for $25. I paid $65 for a left side, which seems outrageous, but it was the last piece I needed to complete the bike. The part is red and the bike black, so I need to do some painting. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to try removing the decal first, and how that would be done.
mconnealy is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iceland
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling789 View Post
I've given up looking for a used one (I'm missing left side)... The two I've found so far are POS, and they still wanted war-prices for them... one didn't even have studs on the back!

I've decided, when I get some spare change... I'll just order from the eBay store in the UK... They run about $78 + $8 shipping (depending on current exchange rates), and are supposed to be very good quality... but you'll have to paint them (they only come white), and buy the emblems, too, if you want to have "stock" look.

Here's their eBay storefront: Side Fairings, Front top fairings items in Motorcycle Fairings store on eBay!
Thanks a million to all of you !

Cheers from ICELAND
BJORI
Honda Shadow 700 1985
Bjori is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SE Nebraska
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconnealy View Post
On ebay for my '86 vt500c I found a right side cover for $25. I paid $65 for a left side, which seems outrageous, but it was the last piece I needed to complete the bike. The part is red and the bike black, so I need to do some painting. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to try removing the decal first, and how that would be done.
it can be done VERY carefully with a heat gun and a plastic bondo spreader, or old credit card. DO NOT use a razor blade, as this will gouge the plastic.

CB750K_id is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 10
Thanks for that tip on decal removal. It peeled right off with the application of some hot air from my wife's hair dryer. Now I'm going out to look for some stuff called Goo Gone to get rid of the adhesive residue. I tried WD-40, nail polish remover and Ronsonol with no success.
mconnealy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome