VT700C 1985 Side covers - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default VT700C 1985 Side covers

Hi all

Does anyone know where i can find me some side covers for my bike that don't cost me big bucks ?

Thanks
Bjori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

International shipping is going to be killer, so i think you may be doomed either way.

Most of the side covers i have seen are running around $75 US, plus shipping.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

We just went through this a few months ago. We got lucky on local craigslist and e-bay finds. Had to buy the right side one twice, seeing that the first one flew off. Zip tie fix should take care of that!

JVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

haha jvince one of mine has electrical tape wrapped around one of the studs to increase the diameter so it would stay on
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750K_id View Post
haha jvince one of mine has electrical tape wrapped around one of the studs to increase the diameter so it would stay on
Hmm. Not a bad idea. The rubber gasket for the hole side of the mount is missing on ours so I rigged a replacement, but building up the stud side might be easier.

A interesting footnote to that story: I was riding a few hundred feet behind the wife when her side cover flew off. She knew it cut loose so we pulled over. As luck would have it it landed smack on the center line of the road. It looked like it would survive with just a few scratches. That is, until some jackhole in his pickup truck made a lane change and flattened it. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, but there wasn't another car on the road, no exit in sight, and we were standing on the shoulder waiting to pick the cover up. Some people...

JVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've given up looking for a used one (I'm missing left side)... The two I've found so far are POS, and they still wanted war-prices for them... one didn't even have studs on the back!

I've decided, when I get some spare change... I'll just order from the eBay store in the UK... They run about $78 + $8 shipping (depending on current exchange rates), and are supposed to be very good quality... but you'll have to paint them (they only come white), and buy the emblems, too, if you want to have "stock" look.

Here's their eBay storefront: Side Fairings, Front top fairings items in Motorcycle Fairings store on eBay!
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

On ebay for my '86 vt500c I found a right side cover for $25. I paid $65 for a left side, which seems outrageous, but it was the last piece I needed to complete the bike. The part is red and the bike black, so I need to do some painting. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to try removing the decal first, and how that would be done.
mconnealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling789 View Post
I've given up looking for a used one (I'm missing left side)... The two I've found so far are POS, and they still wanted war-prices for them... one didn't even have studs on the back!

I've decided, when I get some spare change... I'll just order from the eBay store in the UK... They run about $78 + $8 shipping (depending on current exchange rates), and are supposed to be very good quality... but you'll have to paint them (they only come white), and buy the emblems, too, if you want to have "stock" look.

Here's their eBay storefront: Side Fairings, Front top fairings items in Motorcycle Fairings store on eBay!
Thanks a million to all of you !
Bjori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconnealy View Post
On ebay for my '86 vt500c I found a right side cover for $25. I paid $65 for a left side, which seems outrageous, but it was the last piece I needed to complete the bike. The part is red and the bike black, so I need to do some painting. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to try removing the decal first, and how that would be done.
it can be done VERY carefully with a heat gun and a plastic bondo spreader, or old credit card. DO NOT use a razor blade, as this will gouge the plastic.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for that tip on decal removal. It peeled right off with the application of some hot air from my wife's hair dryer. Now I'm going out to look for some stuff called Goo Gone to get rid of the adhesive residue. I tried WD-40, nail polish remover and Ronsonol with no success.
mconnealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement