Shift Points? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shift Points?

I have a 96 VT1100C with the 4-speed transmission. With no tach i don't have any way of judging shift points that way. Are the 1 through 4 marks on the speedometer suggested shift points? Are they suggested top end? I haven't had any problems as i've been riding it for a year, just curious about what the points on the speedometer are actually saying. Thanks.
NickN72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Guess I don't know what those numbers represent on your speedo. I've aways shifted by feel and ear. What part of Iowa are you from? It's gonna be 70 degrees tomorrow! Will you be in the road?

JaYdEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Got a picture of it? What speeds are the numbers at? I know my owners manual has suggested shift points in it but I don't agree with them. Tells me shift into 5th at about 32mph! If you have or can find a manual it should tell you.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Motorcycle.com App

08 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
SnoGhost13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I also have a '96 VT1100 with the four speed transmission, and those shifting points on the speedometer are way off. Don't pay any attention to them or you will lug the engine down too much (not good)
These engines are made to wind up more than the single-pin crank engines, so don't be afraid to run the rpms up before shifting.
Normal riding takes me up to 25 in 1st, 40 in 2nd, 60 in 3rd, and the skies the limit in 4th. There seems to be a larger gap between 3rd and 4th, so you will need to wind it up more before shifting into 4th.
After owning mine for over 10 years and 50,000 miles, I have never hit my rev limiter (yes, I guess there is one)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

Mine is also a 96' VT1100C. I'll echo everyone else here. I change gears by sound and feel. I don't even look at what speed I'm going. I just sort of know. I find that I rarely get out of 3rd on surface streets.
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

MikeAstringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterD View Post
I also have a '96 VT1100 with the four speed transmission, and those shifting points on the speedometer are way off. Don't pay any attention to them or you will lug the engine down too much (not good)
These engines are made to wind up more than the single-pin crank engines, so don't be afraid to run the rpms up before shifting.
Normal riding takes me up to 25 in 1st, 40 in 2nd, 60 in 3rd, and the skies the limit in 4th. There seems to be a larger gap between 3rd and 4th, so you will need to wind it up more before shifting into 4th.
After owning mine for over 10 years and 50,000 miles, I have never hit my rev limiter (yes, I guess there is one)

The points you are shifting is about where i have found myself shifting also. as pretty much everyone has said, i just do it by feel and by ear but i was just curious as to what the points on the speedo actually represent.

It has the the second mark at 30 which made me think maybe they were suggested shift points, but then it doesn't have third untill 60 and fourth at 85 which made me think they were more like redline.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

I've never had a tach on the two bikes I've owned. I can do it by feel, honestly. You can feel when it's time to get more speed haha.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYdEd View Post
Guess I don't know what those numbers represent on your speedo. I've aways shifted by feel and ear. What part of Iowa are you from? It's gonna be 70 degrees tomorrow! Will you be in the road?

I'm in Cedar Falls. Its supposed to be a little over 60 here today, and its killing me that i'm not going to be able to ride. unfortunately I'm not going to be able to ride untill probably the middle of April since this is what my bike looks like at the moment ( actually its torn down more than this even now). I'm doing a bunch of little stuff to it, and my brother is painting the tins for me but he doesn't have a heated space to do it, so we'll have to wait till it warms up some.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

For a split second I swore you were posting a picture of my bike. That's about what mine looks like right now.
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

MikeAstringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN72 View Post
I have a 96 VT1100C with the 4-speed transmission. With no tach i don't have any way of judging shift points that way. Are the 1 through 4 marks on the speedometer suggested shift points? Are they suggested top end? I haven't had any problems as i've been riding it for a year, just curious about what the points on the speedometer are actually saying. Thanks.

The marks actually represent the RED line, of a tach. Safe shifting points are anywhere above APPROX 40% of those speeds. Rev limiter should kick at about 5-15 mph above those marks.
Advertisement