Rear shock adjustments - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear shock adjustments

I was looking in the manual about the adjustments on the rear shocks on my Spirit. It looks to me like it is just a spring preload adjustment that can change the ride height but doesn't do adjust anything to the shock itself. I can see where you might increase the preload for the riders weight or when you ride two up.

Anybody have any experience with aftermarket shocks that actually adjust the characteristics of the shock and not just the spring preload?

Ride safe!

70 CB750 Honda when I got out of the service
76 Kawasaki 175 Enduro
76 Suzuki TM400 what a killer
78 RD400 Yamaha
99 Shadow VLX about 25 years later
84 Elite 125 got it for my wife to learn on
05 Reflex my wife's ride
07 Majesty totaled November 2011
05 Silverwing
03 750 Spirit my current ride
RJDoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 02ACESarge Send a message via Skype™ to 02ACESarge

No, even the Progressives I put on the ace just adjust the preload. But much better
02ACESarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Possibly a silly question(s) about shock pre-load adjustments.

Is there a left and right shock?
Do they both turn the same direction to increase preload, or do they turn opposite directions?

My stickers have worn off off one shock and it's difficult to verify both sides are the same.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

They are usually the same..production costs are better if you can produce the same thing for both sides and it's only a matter of tightening a spring when you come right down to it.

John.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Unloaded Shock Length

I may be missing something in the comments above. I've ordered a set of HD 11" 412 Progressive shocks, becasue I've got an artificail knee which is really killing me and having a tough time getting off and on my scooter.

Do I have to leave the shock at the "softest" setting for it to be the shortest? Or does the shock remain the same length, no matter what "stiffness setting"/pre-loading is put into it?

I talked to Progressive Suspension yesterday, and changing the rear shocks is straight forward. But, I just don't think I want the challange of changing the springs in the front shocks.

Current ride
2008 Goldwing with Roadsmith Trike Conversion

If you want to do something, do it now!
* * *Vietnam Vet* * * - - - - - N8HDW
Blueribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

The shock preload settings do not change the seat heighth very much. It's meant to compensate for the wieght of the rider(s). Why did you get the 412HD's? I weighed about 240 and bought a set for my Sabre ad it was too much shock even on the lowest setting. I put a set of standard 412's on last year and they work great. The 11" 412's only lower the seat about 3/4". As far as your knee, I have a bad let knee that will eventually need to be replaced and I find that's it's easier for me to get on and off the bike on the right instead of the left. As far as shocks that have more then preload adjustments, Progressive makes a 440 shock that has adjustable valving but it is a waste of money on a cruiser. You won't see any real handling change and the shocks cost about $450. Stick with the 412's, they're great shocks.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
..... Why did you get the 412HD's? I weighed about 240 and bought a set for my Sabre ad it was too much shock even on the lowest setting. I put a set of standard 412's on last year and they work great. The 11" 412's only lower the seat about 3/4". As far as your knee, I have a bad let knee that will eventually need to be replaced and I find that's it's easier for me to get on and off the bike on the right instead of the left. ..... Stick with the 412's, they're great shocks.
Progressive Suspension (PS) said the standard shocks are good up to about 225 lbs. and I weigh 255 (sometimes squeeking a couple lbs. heavier) and for the rare times we're 2 up, that is an additional 200 or so lbs..

I read 3 different threads, and I completely expected to get 1 1/2" to 2" lowering. It is going to kill me if I just spent 3 bills to drop the back 3/4"!!

Thanks for the tip that the HD shocks are quite stiff - I will run then on the lowest setting.

I can now get on the bike real easy from the right, but I just need to take some time to practice getting off on the right. In the last few days, I just haven't figured how to do it, and with a very sore knee (which I hope is temporary) I don't want to change twisting it. I will just need to take the time to practice and get off without twisting.

Appreciate your input jpr1968.

Current ride
2008 Goldwing with Roadsmith Trike Conversion

If you want to do something, do it now!
* * *Vietnam Vet* * * - - - - - N8HDW
Blueribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just took mine out on maiden 412 ride yesterday. At 155lbs. and the shocks on #3 position they were much to harsh of course but I traveled @ #4 on the stockers carrying a passenger and solo due to they were so d*mn hard to adjust. I even made a cheater bar for the tool kit to make adjusting them easier. Hopefully it geys warm enough to try them on #1 position.

Direct Harley Parts - Harley-Davidson® Parts & Accessories at the absolute lowest this is the place to purchase Progressive 412 shocks. Go to Progressive and get the model # and order thru these folk. My chrome 11.5's open coils were $205. Ordered on Sat. nite arrived Tues. afternoon. I've ordered my Kuryakyn floorboards thru them. Again best price and fast free delivery.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"
h13man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement