Honda Shadow Forums banner

The Book of John Hopkins

300K views 2K replies 166 participants last post by  Theja1 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you may recall John Hopkins sent me a book he wrote about his ride through Wales on a motorbike. He sent it to me as many of you thought I was crazy to ride a "New to me" bike from Texas to New Hampshire in December. And well.... you all were right, the weather hit me but I made the best of it and made it home safe.

Many of you had asked about it and I thought it would be a great idea to share it. I was going to send it via postal mail the way I got it but then some of you said hold onto it till riding season and we can hand it off to each other. It's a great way to put a face to a username (and might help kill some drama lately).

I don't know about most of you but my riding season this year never stopped (remember my trip to the Canadian Border on 1/8 and it snowed on me 18 miles from the marker?...I made it though. 4 inches of snow and slush but I made it.)

But the season is now here and I'm willing to go up to 200 miles one way. I'd love to see this thing travel the US and Canada, make it's way back to me, so I can send it back to John as a huge thank you. Yes, you can buy this book but this particular one is not edited for the US so this one is special.

I'm in Londonderry, NH.
Who's first?

When you are finished with it, sign it somewhere and date it with where you are located. Come back to this thread and post you are ready to hand it off. As always pics of meets will be required! ;)

Thank you John, and thank you HSN members in advance for your anticipated support in this.

See less See more
#2 ·
I requested a copy from John and he said there was a copy in the states. Canyon, I want this to come my direction, can anybody bridge the gap to North Carolina, I can travel up into Virginia to meetup. I'd love to get my name on this before it goes back to John.

#7 · (Edited)
Don't overlook these exchange possibilities: The Canadian Rally is in Niagara Falls in late August nd the East Coast Rally is in Franklin, WV in September. More than one of us (me, ptgb & Paulie) plan to be at both.

No Eastern Solstice Meetup scheduled this year but we might manage an earlier or later lunch meeting in the Fishersville, VA area.

#12 ·
I will be travelling to Virginia (Lyndhurst/Danville) come June 3rd, then I plan on moving on to Townsend, TN around June 9th. I used goggle maps and it appears that Canyon and I are about 450 miles from each other ....if it would be possible to arrange a meet somewhere around Plattsburg, New York, I could take the book with me to Virginia and arrange to meet someone to pass it on to. If that doesn't work out, perhaps I could take it on to TN and pass it on to someone in that area. The best time for me to do this would be the weekend of May 19th....let me know if you think we can work something out.

Di

#15 ·
LOL....Yes, I am in Canada, just across the border 1/2 hour from Alexandria Bay/Clayton Area..........yes I could do May 20th....so if no on else comes forward or is closer, shall we start it off? Looks like I'd be about 250 miles from High Point, North Carolina...maybe we could meet up somewhere inbetween like.......the Dragon! :) Hopefully this all works out :).....I'm sure it will, one way or another, but I would like to participate..........

Di

#25 ·
Canyon - I'm in Baltimore, MD. I could travel to receive the book and to deliver it also. This is a good idea.

Mike
Get the book to southern NY or northern PA , or even north Jersey (sorry I wont go near NYC or north on the NJ turnpike on my bike, just to many cagers and heavy traffic up there)
I'll meet MidalySr in DEL or MD, he can get it off to MB-ED in DC.
I would plan on reading it though.

#23 ·
If you want to send it south I'm a closer start, Could meet up with the member from Connecticut to get it moving, Met up with our own Crazy Dave when you where on Vaca (not on the bike though) But would love to meet up at some point.

Dauntae

#26 ·
Dauntae, let me know when works for you. Hopefully next weekend? You seem to be closest and can get this moving the soonest.

I would plan on reading it though.
I would hope anyone who takes it would also take the time to read through it before they passed it along.

I see this has become a stickie too, thanks to whomever did that. Now let's get this book/bike party started!!

#27 ·
I could try for next weekend but might be iffy, Girlfriends son has his opening games that weekend in little league but hopefully Sunday. If not the weekend after. How close to the border are you any way. I forget what town you were in.

Dauntae

#29 ·
Hmm Maybe someplace close to Salem Ma, Could bring the kids up with me and check out the witch stuff (No bike though with the kids) and we could meet, How far is Salem for you, That's about 75 miles for me and closer for you but I think the kids would enjoy it, Although Christine CAN'T wait to get out riding with me hehe she's a good one.

Dauntae

#30 ·
#31 ·
That's doable, Not sure I could make it next weekend but the weekend after, should be good. Don't want to miss opening games in little league for the little guy.

Looking forward to the meet up.
Dauntae

#32 ·
OK Next weekend I have a club rid eon Sunday so Saturday 4/14 I'm free. The weekend after that I have a Tech Day to go to on Saturday so free Sunday 4/22.

The plan is to meet Dauntae on 4/22 unless someone is free 4/14.

#35 ·
I wanted my girl to go for the ride but she found out she is working that Sunday 4/22 so I'm seeing if any of my riding buds want to go for the ride, Might have a HD buddy coming for some chow and for the ride. Really wanted my girl to come but she works with Alzheimer's patients so it can be tough to get days off some times. Looking forward to the meetup then to find the next recipient to pass it along too. (after I read it of course)

Dauntae

#38 ·
I wanted my girl to go for the ride but she found out she is working that Sunday 4/22 so I'm seeing if any of my riding buds want to go for the ride, Might have a HD buddy coming for some chow and for the ride. Really wanted my girl to come but she works with Alzheimer's patients so it can be tough to get days off some times. Looking forward to the meetup then to find the next recipient to pass it along too. (after I read it of course)

Dauntae

she could still go,,all she has to do is tell them she was there,theyd never know.
i know,im gonna go to hell for that..lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.