Tattoos and bikers. - Page 11 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #101 (permalink)

I work for one of the largest banks in the nation, tatts are legal there too.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Shadow Spirit 750
https://plus.google.com/photos/11591...CLzH_6iopOqyPQ
coreenleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #102 (permalink)

In most cases it would be illegal to discriminate against people with tattoos, just as in the case of race, gender, sexual orientation and handicap. But just because it's not supposed to happen doesn't mean that it doesn't. I like to think of myself as pretty liberal in many ways but I must hang my head in shame and admit that I would be somewhat hesitant to hire someone with obvious tattoos for two reasons: 1) some potential customers for my business might be turned off, and in this economic climate nobody can afford to lose customers; and 2) since tattoos are so ridiculously expensive that it calls into question the economic judgement of the wearer. IMHO it's no different from someone who wears a "Mr. T starter kit" mass of gold chains or a diamond-studded grille. Useless and conspicuous consumption are not hallmarks of a mature and reliable person.

My wife works at a child day care center in a local church. Some of her co-workers are young mothers who work at this meager wage because it's the only thing they can find, and get food stamps and other forms of public assistance on the side. But some of them sport hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars worth of tattoos. That's food out of the mouths of their fatherless children. What kind of POS person would do that? If I thought that they got the tats for free by providing sexual favors for the tattoo guy I would not hold them in such low regard, but most are too fat and ugly to qualify for that.

OK, maybe I'm NOT so liberal.
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #103 (permalink)

wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
since tattoos are so ridiculously expensive that it calls into question the economic judgement of the wearer.
Wow, really?

So I have 2 motorcycles, a mustang, am covered in tattoos, and my wife and I still eat filet mignon.

Getting tattoos is something I enjoy. Would you ridicule someone that spends thousands of dollars playing golf? It's ridiculously expensive. Do you look at a person in a BMW and say.. "Why didn't he buy a KIA, that car is ridiculously expensive.."

I hate to break it to you, but some of us aren't under tough times and are well in the black.. What I want to spend my hard earned money on is my business. If I have some extra spending cash lying around and feel like getting a tattoo what is so wrong with that? It's not going to hurt my bottom line, I'll tell you that.

I would keep on griping in this post, but I'm too busy going out and buying myself a new ria 1911 firearm. Just another senseless act of supporting the american economy by blowing my dollars on goods.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #105 (permalink)

Ok so I am covered in tatts and have done so over a 20 yr period. I must say that MikeB ur comments about tattoos are absurd. Just bc someone is covered in tats working for minimum wage doesn't mean their children went hungry for them to have their ink. I mean I have a good job and as I stated I am covered in ink but if I lost my job as a Locomotive Engineer and had to flip burgers to support my family I would hope someone wouldn't see me and make a remark that my children were starving so I could be inked up. Sorry but that is just f-cked up to say that or that you wouldn't hire someone bc of it. I mean that is racist whether u think or not. It is no diff then saying well I own a business in the aouth so I better not hire any black employees bc it may scare my customers away. I dont usually chime in my thoughts but cmon man haven't we moved past all that. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #106 (permalink)

Gosh, what a surprise! People who have tattoos think they are great. Who would'a thunk? Some natives in Papua New Guinea cover their entire backs with raised scars so that they resemble their tribal totem, the crocodile. But others think this is a form of self-mutilation.

Everyone has their views -- why should that upset you? You can ridicule me for my unmarked epidermis and I will not be the least offended. At least I can't be accused of body dysmorphic disorder. Just sayin'.....
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #107 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

I've got one, a dragon holding three hearts. Each heart has the name of one of my kids in it. I'm having my daughter design another for me as she is a pretty good artist. Not sure of what yet as we are still discussing an appropriate design.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #108 (permalink)

I don't have any, but my wife has one. A little comedy and tragedy mask on her hip.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #109 (permalink)

Garage

was expecting to see at least one tramp stamp in this thread lol
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #110 (permalink)

Depending on the tattoo and location of it, I too would have reservations on hiring someone. I have 8 tattoos currently and am looking at getting more. All is mine are easily covered and only visible when I want them to be. As far as the comment about children going hungry to get inked up, I can kind of see the point. If that person is on government assistance odds are they need the help financially and could better spend their money on other things. With that said it is a personal choice that each person has to make. I will not judge and hope others will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App