baffle removal!!!!!!! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default baffle removal!!!!!!!

just wondering is there any advantages/disadvantages to removing the baffles on my 750 aero, besides the noise of course?
caseysblues22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

No advantage other than sound. If you mean the rear resonators. If its truly baffles not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2007 Shadow Spirit C2
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Disadvantages?
caseysblues22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

None that I know of. Other than if you don't like the sound it's tough to go back. I haven't had the popping and stuff that people speak if and I made no adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2007 Shadow Spirit C2
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did mine...(1100 Spirit)...only because the PO drilled like 6 or 7 3/8" holes all around them already. After I drilled them out it was like "meh"...wasn't exactly...well...much of anything besides a little louder.

I replaced the stockers with a set of Jardines I bought off a member here. Now THAT made a difference. Completely different sounding animal, and much closer to what you'd expect from a "proper" open exhaust.

Now, here's my advice...(not that I'm special but here it is anyways...)...

KEEP your stock mufflers STOCK! Don't bother with screwing up something that ain't broke. Buy a set of "slip ons"...Cobra, Jardine, Vance & Hines, whatever you feel is best. Install them, check your carb settings etc. get it set up nice and proper. Now, hang them stockers up in the garage or wherever and just sit on them for a bit.

Several reasons why I say keep the stockers ...

* Good to have if you sell the bike-put them back on or have them available in case the new owner doesn't like loud pipes.

* Good to have if YOU get tired of the loud pipes or get a third shift job-lol. You can slap them back on and sell of the aftermarket mufflers.

* Good to have to sell them to offset the cost of the new mufflers-especially if they are unmolested. Not sure how many people are jumping at the chance to buy a set of hacked stockers, when they could do it themselves.

My two bones...
Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was just reading on another thread on here that the torque drops like crazy. As well as the mpg. I would reccomend spending the money on new pipes
Chodey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysblues22 View Post
just wondering is there any advantages/disadvantages to removing the baffles on my 750 aero, besides the noise of course?
Disadvantage: Your bike may run leaner. Baffles help create the proper back pressure needed for your engine to perform properly. Sometimes a jet kit is required to offset the loss of the baffles (back pressure). You'll know if you have issues when you ride the bike after removing the baffles. If it's sound that you're after, then slip-ons or a complete exhaust change might be the way to go. As always and above all...ride safe.
American Legion Rider- Patriot Guard Rider - ABATE of Illinois

Floyd Dolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.