Can't shake the shakes - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDave View Post
I had my first and only accident last August. Totally my fault; I didn't see the Lexus in front of me lock up their brakes in time to avoid having to lock up both of mine. End result - Lady Blue got out from under me and I bounced really hard on my right side, breaking my right collar bone. The orthopedic surgeon who fixed said it was one of the worst fractures he'd ever seen. Fortunately, the bike was barely scratched.
Once I was finished with my 10 weeks in the sling, I had the jitters the first few times I rode again. Not really from fear of getting in another accident, mainly from not knowing whether my shoulder would be able to take it or not.
Anyway, it took a few days of cruising around deserted country roads for me to get the confidence in my shoulder and my ability back.
So I guess that's my advice: Wait until after your MSF and get out in the country and just take it slow. I think the clean air might help you clear your head.
Best of luck to you, I hope you continue to ride!

HoosierDave

Dave - that is EXACTLY what I experience. Its not that I am worried about falling off in a right hand turn again - its that I am worried that IF I fall in a right hander, my right arm is not going to withstand the impact and is going to break again... That was a PAINFUL few weeks, even with rx pain meds...

But guess what? The doctors told me that the reason my arm broke was because my collar bone was so strong from the calcium buildup from when it was broken years before that! And, they said that if I fall again on the right side, likely neither my collor bone nor my arm is going to break in the same places...it will likely lead to a broken forearm/elbow, but not the shoulder/collar bone.

So, if you fall again...it will likely break your arm up high where I broke mine, and not your collar bone again! (Not that that makes it any eaiser, huh?)
2003 Victory Vegas - 92 cu. in., Mustang seat, straight pipes, K&N filter, remapped ECU, powder coated wheels/foot controls/hand controls/handlebars/ rear pulley/rear luggage rack. Digital speedo/tach with powder coated housing.
So-Crates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoatley View Post
Any thoughts you guys have would be welcome.
I have a very similar story, but luckily it has a good ending. I took the MSF course in May 2011 having never ridden before, then totaled the bike in August. Despite riding lightly for a few months, I still didn't know how to properly take a mid-speed curve. Lowsided, totaled the bike, and banged up my leg pretty good. Luckily thanks to lots of gear, no serious injuries. I got the insurance settled, even bought a replacement bike, but it ended up sitting in the garage all fall because I was scared to ride. The new bike had a few minor mechanical problems that I dragged out fixing as an excuse not to get back on.

Spring rolled around this year and I decided to try to get back on. I was very nervous at first, but now, several months later, I am so glad I did it. Not only have my skills continued to improve so that I feel more comfortable riding, but I have a great sense of accomplishment for overcoming my fears and really learning how to ride.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

2003 VLX 600
Westermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ive crashed to varying degrees in the dirt and once on the street. With all of the dirt crashes, getting home usually meant getting back on the bike and riding home or back to camp at least. That helped a lot. I was already back on the bike with adrenaline still pumping and never had to fear it. Luckily my one crash on the street was minor, I picked the bike up and wiped off the blood and kept going.

Getting back on the bike quickly usually helps to break the fear. Also taking the class will help boost confidence and the instructors can help you with pointers and advice.
DarkSpirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

I got creamed and the bike was a total loss, broke the forks in half when I hit the guy who cut me off and I did the helicopter over the car. I couldnt get a bike for a long time like a year almost,but when I did get one I was nervous at first but after a couple days I was fine, my point is maybe you should take a break and think about riding alot, I wasnt sure I was going to. But maybe just some time to reflect and relax is what you need. My wreck was bad enough you couldnt hardly read the police report I filled out the next morning do to the shakes.

Outkast78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

I read the book, Getting Back In The Saddle months ago before I ever had my first crash. I started riding after the course last Dec. and put approx 6500 miles on her to date. Oh for sure I had my share of sphincter tighteners.
On Oct 14th I made a careless mistake that was totally avoidable. I had been cruising about 35-40 on a nice county road, controlled curves for several miles. I came upon a "blind" hairpin curve that I could not judge. When I did see where I wanted to go I was already crossing the center line and in the ditch. I replay it in my mind and its a scary scene. I know...drive where you can see whats ahead or slow down , but it just slipped up on me. I have made 2 short rides and covered her up for winter. Okay, lesson re-learned the hard way. I can and have corrected that issue.
But to chime in on the post subject of fear, I always have felt a bit "cheated" by cagers out of much that we on bikes should enjoy out of a nice ride. Its like flying into the enemy zone all the time. I don't feel relaxed , more like I'm on a mission to get back home safely.
But what I am really afraid of are all the problems that I cant control and I don't want to take that hit again it was an awful experience. But dammit I want to and will ride , so they haven't cheated me out of it all yet. Its just not right.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCJOE View Post
I agree as others have said here. Take the MSF course first. That should help increase your confidence. Then take it slow and go from there. Good luck.
+1 on this ^^^

Another idea may be to order the Ride Like a Pro video or handbook and practice the slow speed maneuvers they teach. It's helped me out a lot in my slow skills. I've been more confident since reading and viewing the video and practicing the skills whenever I can. Here's a link if you're interested...

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

No relation, just a resource I used...

Last edited by ejsaenz; 12-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
ejsaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

Garage

In the end.. books, advice aside.. it comes down to you and you alone.
I am not diminishing it by any means but there are a lot of close calls in life
a lot of accidents.. our minds simply find ones to put more emphasis and fear on.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #28 (permalink)

Garage

Wow....it seems like a long time since I started this thread. I remember I was beginning to wonder if I was ever gonna get past that lay-down. I ride daily now and have to thank you all for the encouragement and resources. I can't imagine not riding now!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

I am probably a bit old fashioned with some things, but I am a firm believer in getting competent with smaller bikes as you learn to tide.
Don't know if you have had a chance to ride some small bikes, but possibly, if a friend has a 250 or something, you could do some paddock bashing and gain more confidence in really being able to throw a bike around and getting it to do what you want.
Heaps of fun also.

His - 750 Aero
Hers - 650 V Star
Ours - 500 Royal Enfield Bullet
500 Royal Enfield Military
overthehillandback.com Motorcycle tours for old farts.
woodboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Take the msc, it will make you a better rider. Skill is the only thing that can prevent you from laying it down again.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement