Can't shake the shakes - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Can't shake the shakes

I don't want to seem like a wussy or anything, but I just cant seem to shake my nerves since crashing awhile back. I keep trying to shake it and just go for short rides, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Really thinking about selling my bike and just moving on, but deep down I just don't want to. My MSC is a couple more weeks away and I'm hoping that will help me turn this corner. I got really lucky in that crash. I've never laid a bike down at 45 before and hope I never do again. Was riding all over town before it just fine and now I just freeze up. Any thoughts you guys have would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know what you are feeling. I fell off last August and broke my arm so badly it needed two surgeries and I was out of work for three and a half months. Its the fourth accident Ive had on a bike (none of which have been my fault...once at a race track when someone went off course and then came back oncourse right in the middle of the turn I was doing 110mph though, once when another biker hit me from behind, once on the freeway when sideswipped and this last one in a parking lot...) While healing from the surgery, I went into the garage every day and sat on my bike and tried my best to reach the bars - just to make sure that I would be able to ride once I healed up!

You just get back on it and ride it. I cant really say HOW to shake those nerves...other than just ignoring them. I'll be honest - I feel myself a little nervous in slow speed right handers (which is what I fell in thanks to an idiot caged driver). But I guess I just ignore it. If you got into a car accident, would you be afraid to operate a vehicle ever again? If you stepped off the curb and got hit by a bus, would you fear stepping off the sidewalk to the point of just not crossing streets any longer? Same goes with the bike - are you going to let one accident scare you off the thing forever??

Maybe you will - nothing wrong with that. Some people have a stronger sense of self-preservation than others. Me - I just know that I love riding enough that I am not going to allow the CHANCE of an accident prevent me from continuing to enjoy my passion.

I hope you get over your nerves. MSC course may help. I find that wearing good protective gear also helps with peace of mind... I too hope never to lay it down again either - but I dress for the occassion, just in case.

If not, sell the bike and enjoy the memories.
2003 Victory Vegas - 92 cu. in., Mustang seat, straight pipes, K&N filter, remapped ECU, powder coated wheels/foot controls/hand controls/handlebars/ rear pulley/rear luggage rack. Digital speedo/tach with powder coated housing.

Last edited by So-Crates; 06-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
So-Crates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had my first one on 4/1. Too fast into a curve and did the flop and slide thing. I suppose I'm a little more cautious now, but; I'm not afraid. I feel like I got a bit of stupidity out of the way and that I should know better now.

If you can't get over it, then it's time to give it up. If you can't get on without shaking like a dog dumping razor blades then you shouldn't ride until you get that stinking thinking out of your head. While you're worrying about crashing instead of defensive driving, some dipwad is going to clean your clock.

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoatley View Post
Any thoughts you guys have would be welcome.
I don't want to get deep and philosophical; but you're going to have to decide whether you love riding more than you hate it. I'm here to tell you, you're not that much safer in a cage; the idiots are still out there. Is the freedom worth the added risk to you? If not, don't fight it, just sell the bike. You can always buy another one after you stop shaking.

Inasmuch as you have the MSF course coming up though, I'd say wait at least that long. If that doesn't help your confidence level, see paragraph 1.
'72 CL350 - You never forget your first
rb608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

There is no shame...none... in coming to the realization that motorcycling is inherently dangerous and making the choice not to engage in it anymore.

I raced automobiles for fun without incident or worry until one nite during a race 22 years ago it dawned on me that I was a new father...and suddenly racing felt really dangerous.

I won the race and never got in a race car again...haven't wanted to.

....but yes, take the course first... it may give you the skills and confidence to enjoy riding again.

Last edited by halifax; 06-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.
halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoatley View Post
I don't want to seem like a wussy or anything, but I just cant seem to shake my nerves since crashing awhile back. I keep trying to shake it and just go for short rides, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Really thinking about selling my bike and just moving on, but deep down I just don't want to. My MSC is a couple more weeks away and I'm hoping that will help me turn this corner. I got really lucky in that crash. I've never laid a bike down at 45 before and hope I never do again. Was riding all over town before it just fine and now I just freeze up. Any thoughts you guys have would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I have been riding for over 30 years and I always said If I have a get off and survive...I'm likely done. Probably buy a Miata for kicks. Riding is not something I HAVE to do. It's a choice and has always been the more convenient and in many way economical choice. (only 27K miles on the far more expensive 08 Tacoma 6cyl DC TRD) I chose to ride out of convenience and finance a long time ago. Rarely went on joy rides to nowhere. ALWAYS destination oriented whether 7 miles or 3000.

Still don't ride without purpose and destination . It's not a religion. It's not "in my blood" Not a social outlet.

Don't force yourself to ride. Riding a motorcycle is an extended risk. For some a a necessity for others a toy,

IF you don;t feel confident. Let it go. There are a lot of other ways to kill yourself confidently LOL Base Jumping......

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Personally I would stay off the bike for a week or 2 take the MSC which will give you a lot more confidence. Tell the instructor about your issue and the fall and he/she will give you added advice.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can't shake the shakes

-------------

"Shake, Rattle & Roll" as the song title goes.

'Roll' being the key here.

If ya keep rollin' you'll get over it.

If ya don't -- you won't.

Worked for me.

Thanks, Elvis.

HONDA OWNER'S MANUAL

2003 Shadow Spirit
VT1100C

(1) FILL TANK WITH GASOLINE
(2) RIDE UNTIL EMPTY
(3) REPEAT STEPS 1&2
(4) MILLER TIME

------------------

SUZUKI OWNER'S MANUAL
2003 Suzuki GSF1200/S Bandit

(1) FILL TANK WITH GASOLINE
(2) ACCELERATE TO 170MPH & RETRACT FLAPS
(3) LEFT INTENTIALLY BLANK
(4) LEFT INTENTIALLY BLANK
(5) RECITE THE LORD'S PRAYER
(6) TOUCH DOWN JUST ABOVE STALL SPEED
(7) MILLER TIME
GiveItToMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
I have been riding for over 30 years and I always said If I have a get off and survive...I'm likely done. Probably buy a Miata for kicks. Riding is not something I HAVE to do. It's a choice and has always been the more convenient and in many way economical choice. (only 27K miles on the far more expensive 08 Tacoma 6cyl DC TRD) I chose to ride out of convenience and finance a long time ago. Rarely went on joy rides to nowhere. ALWAYS destination oriented whether 7 miles or 3000.

Still don't ride without purpose and destination . It's not a religion. It's not "in my blood" Not a social outlet.

Don't force yourself to ride. Riding a motorcycle is an extended risk. For some a a necessity for others a toy,

IF you don;t feel confident. Let it go. There are a lot of other ways to kill yourself confidently LOL Base Jumping......
+1

I put a lot of miles on my bike, but when I subtract all of the miles commuting and running errands, there aren't many left. I'm with Hondaguy; in fact, I have a helmet sticker that says, "It's what I ride, not who I am."
'72 CL350 - You never forget your first
rb608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Take some time off from riding......maybe until next season.

If you end up missing it enough to get out again.....go for it and you'll probably be ok.
Advertisement