The Dark Side - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N736RA View Post

Wow! Dead guys DO eat popcorn!
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

MikeAstringer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon View Post
As you said, there's a lot of info out there on this.
There's a lot of opinion out there...almost zero information.

If car tires made great motorcycle tires from an engineering, safety or market share perspective, GoodYear or one of the others would have jumped on it eons ago.

Ox Cart wheels are also cheaper than rubber tires...I suggest darksiders try those next.
halifax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post

If car tires made great motorcycle tires from an engineering, safety or market share perspective, GoodYear or one of the others would have jumped on it eons ago.

Ox Cart wheels are also cheaper than rubber tires...I suggest darksiders try those next.
I can just see it now, go to the cartside.com for great information on using ox cart wheels. No ox cart wheel has ever caused an accident EVER. LOL!!

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
Paulie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

hmmm

Last edited by old dad; 07-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
old dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dad View Post
hmmm
You're about to go cut a hickory switch aren't you?

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
Paulie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
You're about to go cut a hickory switch aren't you?
He shouldn't beat himself up...he should just put the proper tire on his bike.

Quote:
As the Motorcycle Industry Council puts it in its Tire Guide (developed in cooperation with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the major tire and motorcycle manufacturers), “Because a motorcycle is a single-track vehicle and leans as it turns, motorcycle tires are quite different than car tires. Whereas car tires have a fairly flat profile and a contact patch that varies little in size or shape, motorcycle tires have a U-shaped profile and a contact patch that changes size and shape during cornering.” The shape of a motorcycle tire is designed to maintain a consistent contact patch throughout lean. A car tire in this application would be flat and fat when upright and thin and narrow when leaned. “Car tires and motorcycle tires are constructed and designed differently due to the different ways in which they are used,” warns John Mosby of Kumho tires, one of the auto tire brands often selected by Dark Siders. “Kumho passenger car tires are not made to absorb the reduced contact patch at high camber angles that motorcycle tires frequently experience. Because of this, durability can be affected by operating at such high camber angles, which can lead to tire failure. We strongly discourage anyone from using Kumho passenger car tires on their motorcycle.”
Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
I can just see it now, go to the cartside.com for great information on using ox cart wheels. No ox cart wheel has ever caused an accident EVER. LOL!!
Exactly. There are people who stand up on their motorcycle seat and do tricks, too...thousands of them...but that doesn't make it a good idea.

The article quoted above is from July 2012 and does a good job of putting this nonsense to rest.

Last edited by halifax; 07-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.
halifax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:
He shouldn't beat himself up...he should just put the proper tire on his bike.
...and the first and second brain farts float slowly to the ground. Not surprisingly, from the same person.

gat803 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
-AJ

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AJ View Post
This made me laugh.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 750 Spirit
csk415 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.