Honda Shadow Forums banner

The Official Shadow Phantom Thread

625K views 2K replies 212 participants last post by  PhantomRider64 
#1 ·
As more and more Phantom members join, I wanted to get a specific thread so us Phantom owners can swap pics, update on mods, and shoot the breeze about our blacked-out-beauties!

Post up!

#8 ·
Excellent idea! 2010 Phantom, Vance and Hines Shortshots, Cobra Highway Bar, Mustang seat, Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing, Blue Collar Bobbers front light bar and bullet lights, Blue Collar Bobbers license plate side mount and rear bullet lights, Kuryakyn grips, bar-ends, Iso-Pegs and Highway pegs. Blacked out the speedo housing and side cover.

Attachments

#10 ·
I've attached a couple pictures.

177 is a close up of the scootworks 2" risers. You can also see what the windscreen quick release hardware looks like when the windscreen is off.

186 shows a couple things. Mustang Wide Touring Two-Piece Vintage Seat. Cobra black sissy bar. Cobra black saddlebag supports. Note that I've pulled off the grey bar that would otherwise be under the sissy bar supports because I think it looks better without it.

164 is a close up of the quick release mounting hardware for the windscreen.

173 is a picture of the "Memphis Shades Windshield - Alley Cat - Gradient black 7 Inch" mounted with "Memphis Shades Trigger-Lock Mount Kit for Sportshield Windshields - Black"

Attachments

#11 ·
Has anyone put forward controls on there phantom? Or different footpegs? Im really looking to stretch my legs out a little. ? pics if you gotta them.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#16 ·
On buffeting, realistically the phantom is a low bike with a low center of gravity, that you sit pretty low on. My partner's bmw sport-touring bike sits way higher than mine, and as a side effect gets real amounts of highway buffeting. The Phantom is so well behaved on the highway by comparison and in general with 2-up that any time we need to go 2-up we use my bike even though the bmw has a bigger and more powerful engine.

#23 · (Edited)
Since 2010, my phantom - or Black Spirit as they are over here in the UK has had a few different looks!

Started with 36 inch drag bars, Jardines, getting rid of the indicator bar, and chopping off all the nasty stuff on the back. LED indicators for the front and all LEDs for the rear.

Annoyingly, I can't find any decent pics, but here's a vid

but here's the front indicators

and a basic idea of the back

Indicators and running lights all in together on that light bar.

Realising the error of my ways with chrome strips and other things after a while it was time for another change.

The rear lights

Also, while the drag bars were fantastic for cornering I always knew that apes would look cool

I got rid of the air intake and snorkel opting to have a spike filter on the outside being able to suck in nice dense cool air.
I also got a DynoJet Power Commander V in there as well - upped HP and torque, so was definitely worth it.

Things started looking a bit shiney with the air filter on, so that had to get sprayed as well as the clock surround, cylinder tops and other bits and bobs I found.
While I was at it, I thought chopping the back end off might be fun as well, replacing it with a swingarm mounted mudguard.

This year I went to the Faro bike rally in Portugal - it was excellent by the way, and I was going to take my old '85 Canadian Import 750 that I'd made fibreglass panniers for and spent months tidying up after it being a proper basket case. Anyway, 2 weeks before the leaving date I took it on a good run and it decided it was going to be a kettle and boil water for me. Nice. So, the Black Spirit (Phantom) was going to have to get used. Left me 12 days to fabricate a new functional back end, and try to do a couple of trick bits.
Harley seat, brake lights and indicators in the new frame tubes, and sissy bar, pannier stays and tiny rack all had to be made from whatever steel I could find in my garage.

Meant that I could pack things up nicely for a 10 day trip covering 2500 miles

And this is the poor old dirty beast in Faro :)

Slightly inflated hoodie while riding

There were lots of changes in between the above stages obviously, and lots of different stages, however, it sums up the main changes over the last couple of years. Hope I didn't bore you.

Thanks for reading.

edit* By the way, since owning it, I've now got just over 15,000 miles on her and she's running brilliantly. I did 10k in the first year, but riding my other shadows took some of the time in the saddle away during the second year!!!

#27 ·
Doorman, I love what you've done there. Its neat seeing how your bike evolved over time.

#28 ·
Cheers people! Much appreciated! I'm going to leave it pretty much like it is for the time being, other than tidy up some horrendous welds I had previously done. I may well make a slightly different sissy bar - bit bigger, but more importantly moveable, so it can be a proper sissy bar, or when riding alone, I can move it to be a rider back rest - after riding in Spain and Portugal with all my camping gear as a back rest, it was the most comfortable riding EVERY! :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.