How to Make Throw-over Saddlebags Hard Mount - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to Make Throw-over Saddlebags Hard Mount

Anybody make there own brackets to convert throw-off saddlebags to hard mount? I've know I've seen some ideas in the past but can't find them now. Want something reliable but inexpensive.

NJCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Crazy Dave has the answer, he posted for me but I can't find it now... message him.

2007 VT1100C - Black... my favorite color.

MarineCorpsFlorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

An easy way would be to get a piece of aluminum or painted steel sheet and heavy duty grommets. You can get a slightly longer bolt to make up for the difference in thickness of the mount, but I'd still use the saddlebag brackets to keep them from hitting the shocks or anything else.

I've been toying with this idea quite a bit on my own, but haven't worked out all the kinks. This is how I'd do it, though.
breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to O'Larry Send a message via Yahoo to O'Larry

Welded small plates on the bottom of the saddlebag brackets then hooked the bags to the uprights of the brackets. Been that way for about four years now with no problems. Had to figure out a way to keep the right hand bag off of the muffler. Hope this helps.
O'Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got the bag mounts from Viking Bags, $30.00. Twenty minute install. ezpz....
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well if you want NON detachable. You could just cut the yoke and mount the under the seat. Cut yoke, drill some holes, stitch back together with shoelace. OR get double ended fender bolts a couple strips of metal and some wingnuts, make-em detachable.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Bag supports ( I like accessories International myself ) couple of pes of outdoor grade plywood ( one for the inside of the bad, one for the out side X 2 bags, cut using bag as template ( undercut by a and inch or so ) Align the outside pieces with your mounting holes in the fender, mark, drill .. besides the mounting holes I have three holes on the bottom two for each side.. give the plywood a coat or two of paint.. I glued and stapled vinyl on the inner piece..assemble and you are good to go.. one of the first DIY mods I did to the bike a little over eight years ago.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

I got some mounting ideas from watching a YouTube video from CruiserCustomizing.com My bags were small enough that I still used the throw-over yoke mount along with using a longer "fender bolt". I have no plans on removing the bags and it's nice to have them hard-mounted for various reasons.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

I did something similar, but I think simpler, to what CD did. I bought saddlebag supports off eBay and then headed over to Ace hardware to buy a small piece of sheet metal that I cut to fit the interior of my bags. Wrapped the metal in black duct tape to keep fingers safe (and make the inside of the bags look a little less ghetto), then drilled holes and mounted each bag with two u-bolts and saddle clamps. Total cost was right around $30.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive done this a couple ways, the ones in my sig pic are the most recent and are some AL flat bar pieces i bolted together and made notches in so i can just slide them on and off and still unzip my bags.

I prefer the way i did my old bags, but they werent removable without taking out the fender bolt, i believe they were 80mm long, or 20-30mm longer than stock.

I eventually removed the plywood and used some AL flat bar and made a small frame and bolted it back on. With the spacers i could still use bungee cords if i needed.

Furball Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement