Push Mountain Road - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Push Mountain Road

My riding buddy came up from OK this week. I had thought I would get to ride behind him and was planning a trip down Push Mountain Road here in Arkansas. It's one of the top trails for the curves, elevation changes and scenery but is for experienced riders. He nixed my plans and wanted me to ride my bike so he could see how I was doing. I was a little scared, ok, maybe a little nervous too since I knew I was being critiqued. lol In the end, he said I did just great. The only problem I have is I tend to open the throttle to get up to speed and then close it to come back down and he said I was doing that a lot back and forth. I needed to practice being smoother on it or something to that effect. I have noticed I go back and forth a lot but I tend to slow way down going into the curves and then accelerating out of them.

Anyway, I was proud of myself for 'surviving' PMR and any tips on the throttle thing would be appreciated.

eta: also, he adjusted my handlebars. Said they were way too low for me and was making me sit at a bad angle so he raised them. What height do you normally have the bars? It's a big difference and making me think, now I will have to relearn what I already learned but he said once I got used to it, I would appreciate it and it would on long rides.

'06 VTX 1300C - Candy Orange
Ride bells by pngpearson & dgraves49

'03 Shadow Spirit VT750DCB - now my daughter's ride

'01 Shadow VLX Deluxe - gone but not forgotten
Ride bell by hypostang
sopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm certainly no expert; but my handle bars are adjusted to what's comfortable for me. I was taught to accelerate as you come out a curve because it straightens up the bike.
Also, have you taken a MSF safety course; they can help you w/ a lot of these questions.
If you're a woman (I am also) there's a great women riding social org. called the Chrome Divas. I am a member of the Ozark Chrome Divas although being in OK I don't get to attend much.
Practice makes will help a lot; we never get too much of that.

2001 750 Shadow ACE

It is the honor & duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Shadow Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi and yeah, I'm a girl. I took the bike out today and it took just a few minutes to get used to the handlebars new position but once I did, it was much better. Should have known he knew what he was talking about. lol I also worked on the throttle thing, I was going back and forth way too much and not easing it I think. I had signed up for the MSF course but they canceled and refunded me and I haven't been able to get another one timed right. Thanks for the tips. And will keep on practicing.

Ride bell by hypostang
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Whenever someone mentions Push Mountain Road they get my attention! Weather permitting, Iím going to ride it on Saturday, November 3rd with a friend or two or three. Itís part of a loop that starts in Yellville and goes up into southern Missouri to view some fall colors.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-412+W%2FUS-62+W&daddr=AR-125+N+to:MO-125+N+to:Main+St+to:AR-9+S+to:36.00634,-92.30812+to:36.1691,-92.35579+to:US-412+E%2FUS-62+E&hl=en&ll=36.066307,-92.248764&spn=0.28085,0.438766&sll=36.223227,-92.525482&sspn=0.280289,0.438766&geocode=FfjDKAId2 L15-g%3BFRfcLAIdAEp4-g%3BFUdeLgIdLkF3-g%3BFd_dLAIdrP6K-g%3BFVRiJAIdiG6C-g%3BFcRpJQIdaH1_-ikpOZV_dPrRhzGFWaVPYMEi8A%3BFYzlJwIdMsN--imFbitHkebRhzEquLZHbnlOUQ%3BFe3PKAIdVwt6-g&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=11&via=5,6&t=m&z=11
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

wallasan,
How was your ride? The colors should have been great for you then.

Ride bell by hypostang
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopo View Post
wallasan,
How was your ride? The colors should have been great for you then.
Yes the colors were great. But could have been even better. The week before my ride was just too warm for the best color development.
Here are some pictures.
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-discussion/139125-fall-ozarks.html
Speaking of Push Mountain Road. I found a road I like at least as much. The 20 miles of Arkansas 9 between Melbourne and the junction with 5 and 14 rival anything Iíve seen anywhere. It is WAY underrated and I look forward to riding it again and again!
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement