Engine Guard Chaps?????? - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

I just bought a set from ClassicChaps for my 09 nomad 1700. I got two detachable pockets, so I hope they are pretty good. I will report back with what I think of them once they show up and I have tested them out.

I am interested in seeing what you come up with Coop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Coop, I have given them a thought too, and while they will create drag, I think I can sacrifice the mpg to keep my feet and ankles a bit warmer and drier! Insulated, GoreTex boots and leather chaps only go so far towards keeping you warm and dry, especially the bottom of your pant's legs, lol

I like the full-coverage ones better than the first set I saw.. probably home-made too... which were pieces of leather cut to just smaller than the opening made by the highway bars... holes punched about an inch or so apart, and leather strap "laced" through the holes and around the bar... laced tight like a drum... they still looked good because he had tooled the leather fronts with a cool mural (think it was a wolf's head).

I agree, for what you get pre-made, they're kinda expensive, but what motorcycle add-on's are cheap these days?

I'm interested to see what you come up with ... because I plan to keep riding as long as the ice/snow stays off the roads, and I'm sure you're design will be efficient and cheaper than the mass-produced ones
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Well, after further investigation and calculating.....The Bride said to order them, so, I am going to send my templates to Jeff at Classic Chaps. His prices are way too good to try to beat him and possibly ruin some pleather...
I will keep yall posted.
Coop

My Mistress 2006 VTX 1300R
Ride Bells By OldDad
http://coops.vtxgarage.com/
Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Coop, you hunt, so cape out a couple of big ones,,cure the hide,,easy to do, I've done it once,,the you can dye or stain it to suit you.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hey Coop, think you will find Jeff easy to work with, sometimes a little slow to reply to e mail, but was happy with the tank bib he made for me, tell him Ben said hi

Last edited by Bens06Sabre; 03-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Bens06Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

Garage

I bought mine from Sagebrush (with pocket) several years ago and one of the best add ons I ever made, they are on 12 months of the year..........

"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Wow, I cannot believe I never finished this thread off
I cannot post pics unfortunately
BUT, I love my engine guard chaps! It is like having heat on your skoot! Mine block a lot of the wind while riding at hwy speeds even with feet on pegs! But when cold I can draw my legs in close to the engine while riding and they get warm fast!
I definitely recommend Classicchaps.com, price is right and quality is great!
Coop

My Mistress 2006 VTX 1300R
Ride Bells By OldDad
http://coops.vtxgarage.com/
Coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #28 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

I had a COLD ride coming up, back in January of 2008, so I made some metal wind blocks from gauge metal I had laying around and used hose clamps to fasten them to the guards......
I`m glad I did too, it turned off to be 26 degrees for "a three hour tour" coming home that night...
No Pics...
Talk about wind resistance???
I KNEW they were on there in a headwind....

I have a "rubber bumper" from an automobile I`ll use next in an attempt to streamline them
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #29 (permalink)

Where's the pics? I wanna see em,I wanna see em,I wanna see em,
Parkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Some call them elephant ears, I find the best way to make them is to buy old leather coats from the goodwill shops, it doesn't matter how shabby the coat is, then you cut a paper template from newspaper and mark the leather with chalk to get the right size..leather shoe dye will complete the job and they will look brand new at very little cost.

You will have enough leather left over for tank bibs..

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 12-19-2013 at 09:47 AM.
John Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement