brisk ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default brisk ride

Here in NY we now have 4 hour lines for gas so i did what most of us would, take the bike to work. Now i ride to work most of the time but usually this time of year the cage gets used a little more often. My morning ride was about 34 degs. Wasnt too bad other then my fore i ead getting numb. I used a Balaclava but it didn't block the wind to well. Any suggestions other then going ff? By the way the ride home wasn't to much warmer. Ohh and I'm also not a fan of windshield.

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat

Last edited by dorfman17; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.
dorfman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

There just ain't no substitute for a full helmet in cold weather - all that foam that is in the helmet to protect your noggin also keeps it warm in the cold.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
There just ain't no substitute for a full helmet in cold weather - all that foam that is in the helmet to protect your noggin also keeps it warm in the cold.
+1
RoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

How about a removable windshield . . . I can install/remove my Memphis Shades in under 30 seconds (and that is when I am having a slow day). You could use the windshield on cold days and then leave it at home for all the other times. Sometimes practicality outweighs looks/appearances if it keeps you warm and safe.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Today I had to ride to the Bronx from CT then from the Bronx to Middletown NY...(Funeral detail) I took the Merritt parkway Both Gas Stations on the NY / CT boarder (in CT on the Merritt ) had NO lines NO waiting (this was at 6:00am also NO lines NO waiting in Nyack NY (exit 11 after the Tap bridge) this was at 8:00AM

What you NEED NOW is Function !!!!not looks .. so a windshield can really make a difference ...I rode 300 miles today in 34-38 degree temps..mostly hwy 75mph My Mephis Shade bat wing fairing did a great job also HotHands hand warmers in my gloves (you can buy them at Walmart or Lowes ect.A full face helmet is also a good cold&wind blocker..I also have EXTRA snowmobile suits (one & two Piece)
I should be riding in the NYC Veterans Day Parade this month so I can meet you in NYC and give you my extra cold weather gear if you want it...let me know
Officer friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Everyone has their own ideal ride. It was 22 degrees when I left this morning and 29 when I got home, 50 miles round trip.
My windshield is worth every last cent I paid for it. I wouldn't be riding this time of year without it. As another sugestion said to go with a removable windshield, not a bad idea if it extends your riding season and comfort.
Ride safe.
akachile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Geez. I won't ride in if its under 55, lol. But then, we had 80's two days ago too.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Natchez Trace - July 4 & 5 2013
Theja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I ride with a Davida open face lid on all year - the only time I remember wearing a full face was when I went for a ride with the Mrs on her bike and we had some cheap intercoms, you had to stick the mic in front of your mouth.

Anyway, it's horrible sometimes with the cold weather, especially crappy when it starts raining hard and you're doing 80mph and freezing cold.

The way I see it, there are some options.

These look like a nice idea

Wind Filter Head/Face Balaclava

Basic neck wraps doubled up and one for the face and one for the head is a possibility?

Oxford Comfy Tie Dye Pink 3 Pack

Alternatively, to get some face protection, occasionally I use a paintball hard plastic mask - breathable and protecting from the worst of the weather - and can still wear a neck wrap under it.

As shown here

Hope that helps
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer friendly View Post
Today I had to ride to the Bronx from CT then from the Bronx to Middletown NY...(Funeral detail) I took the Merritt parkway Both Gas Stations on the NY / CT boarder (in CT on the Merritt ) had NO lines NO waiting (this was at 6:00am also NO lines NO waiting in Nyack NY (exit 11 after the Tap bridge) this was at 8:00AM

What you NEED NOW is Function !!!!not looks .. so a windshield can really make a difference ...I rode 300 miles today in 34-38 degree temps..mostly hwy 75mph My Mephis Shade bat wing fairing did a great job also HotHands hand warmers in my gloves (you can buy them at Walmart or Lowes ect.A full face helmet is also a good cold&wind blocker..I also have EXTRA snowmobile suits (one & two Piece)
I should be riding in the NYC Veterans Day Parade this month so I can meet you in NYC and give you my extra cold weather gear if you want it...let me know
I do appreciate that but I'm actually fine other then my forehead. I have a buddy making me chaps and that would round out my winter gear. As for the gas my cage is full and the ride out to ct and back would be almost a tank of has in travel. I have a few cans filled so as long as i use the bike i should be fine. Letme know if you do ride in the parade, maybe I'll ride out there and try out my new ezpass.

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

If i get just a bat wing would it helm my mug?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement