How Cold Survey - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I ride in the frost but not when the snow has settled, they salt the roads over here, even the small ones but if the snow has settled and you have a clear path you can get over confident and hit the snow unprepared at a higher speed than you should and I can't hold up any of my bikes once they start to go at speed..I guess I'm getting old.

John.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

i usually try to stay around 40. if u go any lower u should change oil
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yesterday I rode a 300 miles round trip( Funeral detail ) mostly Hwy 75 mph. temps from 34 to 38 degrees for most of the ride...

Temps don't bother me it's the Sand & Salt that will Stop me from riding,,,,I can Always dress for COLD but my Baby (bike) can't protect herself from Sand & Salt and that NEW liquid calcium ,,CT sprays on the roads ,,,It's Liquid Cancer for bikes & paint & chrome..
Officer friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Was riding to work last winter down to 23*. I need heated gloves this year. Keeping my hands warm was the only issue. My leather jacket with liner, and snow pants keep everything else warm enough.

kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Recently I've done a fair amount of riding between 40-45 degrees. With my current gear I can handle it pretty well. Today I took the bike to go vote and it was 35 degrees out. I wear a 3/4 helmet and my face was super cold at 50mph Even with one of these pulled up on my face...
Amazon.com: Chaos -CTR Chinook Micro Fleece Neck Gaiter/Tube, Black, One Size: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Chaos -CTR Chinook Micro Fleece Neck Gaiter/Tube, Black, One Size: Sports & Outdoors

I won't be getting any heated gear this winter (possibly next winter) so with my current gear about 40 degrees is my limit.

I am looking into buying something like these which would hopefully keep my face warmer...

Amazon.com: Chaos -CTR Chinook Micro Fleece Balaclava: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Chaos -CTR Chinook Micro Fleece Balaclava: Sports & Outdoors
Warmskin Balaclava - Black - (Skin Tight Fit and Feel) : Amazon.com : Automotive Warmskin Balaclava - Black - (Skin Tight Fit and Feel) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Amazon.com: Schampa Pharaoh Deluxe Balaclava, Black, Size: OSFM BLCLV012: Automotive Amazon.com: Schampa Pharaoh Deluxe Balaclava, Black, Size: OSFM BLCLV012: Automotive

Anyone here have ant experience with any of these? What do you use?

Last edited by canonelan2; 11-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
canonelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

As a few have said, it's not temperature but road conditions that stop me. I've been out on the bike in the 20s(F). I wouldn't want to go a long way but a commute to work is okay. Once we start getting snow out comes the sand and gravel and salt. Salt leads to rust and sand is slippery. Also, whenever it warms up a little during the winter, every thing is wet.

All that said, I've been out for at least one ride per month for the last 45 months.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default gear versus boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcoach View Post
How cold does it have to get for you to surrender to winter? I'm still riding at 31 degrees this year. In the past 40 was my limit. I guess I'm more stubborn this year. Need different boots though. The wind goes right the laces.
You dont need to buy different boots, just get some over socks. They have different material that will work if the price on gore-tex is too much. I also use polypropylene under pants, nylon overpants with velcro at the bottom. The head gets covered with a Polyester bala-clava Hands stay toasty with some great multi-blend gloves.

With the weather as it is in Texas I wear all of this in the morning at 40 degrees and take it all off in the afternoon at 77 degrees.

REI

Some assembly required.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When the pleasure of the ride is overridden by the discomfort of the temps.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've ridden down to 18 degrees on my old vlx. Cold snaps were awful that winter. I had to warranty the speedometer cable because it froze and broke. I had to carry a lighter to thaw out the throttle. Now I drive the truck if it gets below 32.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

with me its also not the cold but road conditions, have rode down into 19 degrees, have added heated grips to bike sense then, and now I have no problems with the cold, as long as my hands are warm, and the grips work for that, as soon as we get into winter further they will start using deicer on the roads, I will park the bike, that suff eats metal and aluminun