Dealer parts rant... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Damn yer impatient Gat!

Yeah, I fell ya man ... the only thing I got at the stealership for this bike was my carb gasket kit and fuel tube clamps. They too are a multi-brand dealer. But I will say the guy I dealt with was very knowledgeable and both of those items were in stock.

I have had those experiences with automotive places over the years though. And I do love when I know more than they do. Guess that's what happens when you hire somebody at minimum wage, slap a computer in their face and tell'em all the answers are in there.

Psh, my dad and his dad before him had REAL auto parts stores stocked to the brim so much so you could barely walk through the door ... no computers except in their heads ... staffed by mechanics and they strived to keep as much in stock/on hand as they could. Granted, there's much more on the road these days (I mean were talking 1920's through the late 50's for my dad/his dad), but jeez finding good help must be tough, LOL!
ACE VT750 Service Manual Download

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
What the hell happened to parts guys?
Amazon and WalMart. Between them, they redefined shipping and distribution in this country. It is lower cost -- and therefore considered more efficient -- but less responsive to walk-in customers.

There are still many retailers (The dealer's parts department is a retailer.) that have not succumbed to the drop-ship-is-the-only-way-to-go mentality. When they're gone, that will likely be the end of it. If I find one of those guys nearby, I will support him for as long as he lasts. Otherwise, online is the way I'll go. Not because of money, either; with shipping included, it ends up being about the same as the dealership wants. But I get the parts delivered to my door rather than a phone call (or e-mail) telling me that I can come pick them up.

For appliances, kacealraid, I'm in good shape. RepairClinic.com is about 15-20 miles (one way) from my door. I can place an order online in the morning then swing by and pick up the parts that afternoon. Every time I've been in there, the folks at the counter seem knowledgeable, too. Enough so to sometimes sell me an extra part or manual, anyway. They often double-check the new part with me before handing it over. Good folks. Wish there was a Honda parts warehouse like that nearby.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

That was my experience with Kawasaki dealers around here, that's one reason I got a RoadStar when I decided to get a new bike.

Carl

GoldWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's somewhere north of astonishing that the dealer did not know what a KLR650 was, considering the fact that Kawasaki has been selling them basically unchanged for 900 years and it HAS to be their best selling single model ever. Yikes!

But for bolts or other generic parts your Ace or TruValue hardware store is the best bet. If you need specific parts there are several large online dealers that not only stock everything but usually give good discounts relative to dealers who charge MSRP.
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
Amazon and WalMart. Between them, they redefined shipping and distribution in this country. It is lower cost -- and therefore considered more efficient -- but less responsive to walk-in customers.

There are still many retailers (The dealer's parts department is a retailer.) that have not succumbed to the drop-ship-is-the-only-way-to-go mentality. When they're gone, that will likely be the end of it. If I find one of those guys nearby, I will support him for as long as he lasts. Otherwise, online is the way I'll go. Not because of money, either; with shipping included, it ends up being about the same as the dealership wants. But I get the parts delivered to my door rather than a phone call (or e-mail) telling me that I can come pick them up.

For appliances, kacealraid, I'm in good shape. RepairClinic.com is about 15-20 miles (one way) from my door. I can place an order online in the morning then swing by and pick up the parts that afternoon. Every time I've been in there, the folks at the counter seem knowledgeable, too. Enough so to sometimes sell me an extra part or manual, anyway. They often double-check the new part with me before handing it over. Good folks. Wish there was a Honda parts warehouse like that nearby.
We use Repair Clinic at my shop for references on models. Especially Kenmore models, because the Sears website is garbage and hard to look stuff up on from our pcs at work. Their prices seem pretty spot on, and I'm glad their counter help is favorable! We don't have one close to us, but that might work out to my employer's benefit.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacealraid View Post
...Sears website is garbage...
You can say that again! It was pretty bad before KMart bought them. Useless now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacealraid View Post
We use Repair Clinic at my shop for references on models.
<SNIP>
We don't have one close to us, but that might work out to my employer's benefit.
I think there's only one. And I've got it.

---------------------

Anybody know how many parts warehouses Honda has in the U.S.? I used to think there were two but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage

Yeah, they have a much better website for part listings on kenmore models.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

I guess I am super lucky here in Denver. My local Honda shop is the best. They know everyone by name and/or bike and have a great selection on parts in stock. If you go in as a first time customer, you will leave as a repeat customer. Their service is outstanding and I know I can count on them for what I need for my bike.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default What happend ?

Quote:
What the hell happened to parts guys?
>> They all went to work at Home Depot <<

Quote:
Neither one of these dealers made even the slightest effort to get/keep my business.
>> Minimal work for minimal pay <<
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullockD View Post
>> They all went to work at Home Depot <<

>> Minimal work for minimal pay <<
This. I get paid very little for what I do at my job. I still try, though.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement