Dealer parts rant... - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Damn yer impatient Gat!
No not impatient, it's just that I know when an encounter isn't going anywhere but down hill, so I bail quickly. Unless it has the potential to amuse me. lol When the kid didn't know what a KLR is, I knew it was over. Every thing after that was just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullockD View Post
>> They all went to work at Home Depot <<

>> Minimal work for minimal pay <<
I think it's not so much minimal work for minimal pay, as it is "just a job" for many of these guys.

It used to be (and sometimes still is) that the guys working at the dealership were enthusiasts. They loved motorcycles and working there was a real treat for them. They knew about what they were selling because they owned them personally.

Now the motorcycle shop job is just a place to hang until something better comes along. When I was in my teens I would have worked for 1/2 minimum wage for a job at a motorcycle shop.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnus2000 View Post
Well let me tell you about the Harley experience - Harley dealerships typically keep lot's of common parts in stock and depending on the dealer size they keep a lot of uncommon parts in stock.

Example one - I wanted rigid locking saddlebags for my Dyna which is not a popular product and I nearly fell over when they informed me they had it in stock.
Example two - my wife needed a set of these tiny rubber seals about 2 inches in length for her quick release windshield. Yep, they carry them in stock.
Example three - My shifter arm broke and was being held on with a zip tie. Nope - not in stock but the dealership in FT Worth has one AND they are open on Sundays. Good excuse to go for a ride on a Sunday afternoon!

Harley often gets ripped for the merchandise they sell but it's rare to have a negative experience at the parts department.
It's one of the reasons why I have the loyalty I have for HD because when I owned my Hondas, it was frustrating having to order nearly everything AND pay for it up front.
They do put their money where their mouth is. Sometimes knocked for their marketing style and the whole 'lifestyle' stuff that folks try to dredge up....but they do provide excellent service.....and I think they are loyal to their customers. A concept totally lost on far too many companies today.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
No not impatient, it's just that I know when an encounter isn't going anywhere but down hill, so I bail quickly. Unless it has the potential to amuse me. lol When the kid didn't know what a KLR is, I knew it was over. Every thing after that was just for fun.

I think it's not so much minimal work for minimal pay, as it is "just a job" for many of these guys.

It used to be (and sometimes still is) that the guys working at the dealership were enthusiasts. They loved motorcycles and working there was a real treat for them. They knew about what they were selling because they owned them personally.

Now the motorcycle shop job is just a place to hang until something better comes along. When I was in my teens I would have worked for 1/2 minimum wage for a job at a motorcycle shop.

My Dealership (the only dealership within 100 miles) has had open positions in service forever. Not a lack of applicants. A severe lack of applicants with any knowledge or qualifications. Seems many believe a HS education is enough these days and apply for jobs way over their heads.

I buy tires there and have the dealer install them and do all the mechanical work on my bike. They are good but need help badly. I know people who have companies who needed people but cannot find people who want to work or have a basic skillset or worse have told them they "could start in February" (when their UE benefits run out) Amazing.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 11-09-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
My Dealership (the only dealership within 100 miles) has had open positions in service forever. Not a lack of applicants. A severe lack of applicants with any knowledge or qualifications. Seems many believe a HS education is enough these days and apply for jobs way over their heads.

I buy tires there and have the dealer install them and do all the mechanical work on my bike. They are good but need help badly. I know people who have companies who needed people but cannot find people who want to work or have a basic skillset or worse have told them they "could start in February" (when their UE benefits run out) Amazing.
And what would be the pay scale for these positions?
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmahn View Post
And what would be the pay scale for these positions?
No idea what they pay a bike mechanic or service adviser. But I do know the cost of living here is very low for a resort area on the beach.

I think people see the pay scales and think they need what they are making in higher cost of living areas. $15 an hour here is probably equivalent to as much as $35 an hour in San Diego where I lived for 18 years if I am comparing beach living. Although this is more like country beach living rather than urban beach living. Houses are pretty inexpensive as are taxes and insurance. Fuel is now less than $3. I read Boeing is starting labor jobs at $16 an hour in Charleston with $45K total compensation.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 11-09-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #26 (permalink)

The Honda shop here pays their new boys close to minimum wage. I asked.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Garage

I can't see anyone at a parts counter getting paid more than 2$ over minimum... I'm a parts guy and I know a few haha
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #28 (permalink)

Exactly. So what "expertise" is $8/h supposed to buy?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmahn View Post
Exactly. So what "expertise" is $8/h supposed to buy?
Unless you're spending an hour getting parts, I would guess that you're not getting your full $8 worth.
ACE VT750 Service Manual Download

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

About 30+ years ago we had Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda dealers within about 5 miles of each other. Each dealership had a well stocked parts department. They had the service parts and accessories for their manufacturer's machines. Now we only have one dealership that handles all those manufacturers.

A couple of months ago I went to the dealership to get some grips for my 86 Shadow. They could tell me that they didn't have them in stock. They had 2 pairs of similar ones hanging on the wall, but couldn't tell me if they fit my bike. A couple of weeks later I needed 1 1/2 " exhaust clamps for my 96 Shadow. The parts guy could not understand what it was I was looking for without the computer. I finally told him that I simply wanted him to go to the shelf and get standard clamps. He brought out a hose clamp. I'll order online from now on, when I can. Atleast I know what I am ordering.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement