Dealer parts rant... - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpirit750 View Post
No dreaming needed when it's fact.
And we all know it's true because you said so. Just like all parts counter folks are either great or kids learning the ropes. And it is the customer's responsibility to treat the counter folks -- whether good bad or indifferent -- with courtesy, respect and admiration lest they get overcharged (for parts they can get cheaper AND delivered to their door). Because you said so.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #42 (permalink)

Garage

I know from experience that when people buy parts for their own appliance at home in an attempt to fix it, there's a 50% chance it's coming back because they don't know what they're doing. I can't say I have experience in the motorcycle world on this, but if the fail rate is roughly the same, there might be truth in them getting the wrong part(or putting it on wrong, or misdiagnosing, etc.)

Usually misdiagnosing is the biggest issue.
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacealraid View Post
I know from experience that when people buy parts for their own appliance at home in an attempt to fix it, there's a 50% chance it's coming back because they don't know what they're doing. I can't say I have experience in the motorcycle world on this, but if the fail rate is roughly the same, there might be truth in them getting the wrong part(or putting it on wrong, or misdiagnosing, etc.)

Usually misdiagnosing is the biggest issue.
Makes me wonder if there are forums for brand specific, model specific appliances where people can discuss mods, common failures, repairs and upgrades....and undoubtedly an off topic section for religion, politics of the day and brand bashing...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb1100 View Post
Makes me wonder if there are forums for brand specific, model specific appliances where people can discuss mods, common failures, repairs and upgrades....and undoubtedly an off topic section for religion, politics of the day and brand bashing...
Not that I've ever found. There is Samurai Appliance Repair Academy / FixItNow and AskMe HelpDesk but neither one is quite what you describe.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpirit750 View Post
I've done autoparts for the last 10 years in dealerships doing GM/Nissan and now Kia (I regret that decision). If the kid was new you were paying for his learning curve. If he stays with it for a few months he'll get better. If he has been at it a few months and he still sucks-well I can't say much for him then.

As for stocking inventory, that requires a huge out-of-pocket expense for dealers. Many manufacturers have a required stock list and most don't stock much past that. They are also required to pay taxes every year on how much they hold. Taxes on 100k in inventory can get pricey and 100k is not much for any dealership especially with more than one line.

To the OP I'm sorry you were turned off to dealers. Maybe next time work with them, especially if they are younger, instead of the attitude.

I can tell you from experience with many a parts man, the worse the customer's attitude the more expensive the part gets and the longer it takes for it to arrive.
I certainly can understand that a new parts person needs a little time to learn the ropes but for them to not understand a basic part of dealer inventory is a failure of the associate and the dealership. I would have a hard time supporting that dealer as well and stellar customer service is coming through on a timely basis - even when the customer has a bad attitude.

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #46 (permalink)

On the flip side; Dallas Honda has always had the parts I have asked them for and at a very reasonable price. Granted, they have been pretty ordinary though. Oil, filter, spark plugs, brake pads, etc..
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmahn View Post
Exactly. So what "expertise" is $8/h supposed to buy?
Reminds me of looking for work in the computer trade. Everyone waxes eloquent about your 25+ years experience. No one wants to pay for it.
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips, Stiletto End Caps, Dually ISO-Pegs, Master Cylinder Cover
Show Chrome Accessories Air Filter Cover
Diamond Plate Chrome Motorcycle Cup Holder
Jafrum SD 2051 Leather Studded Saddlebags / Street & Steel Saddlebag Support
Custom World International Turn Signal Relocator
Ride Bells thanks to my Better Half

kokopellioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacealraid View Post
I know from experience that when people buy parts for their own appliance at home in an attempt to fix it, there's a 50% chance it's coming back because they don't know what they're doing.
When I worked at a small airport when I got out of the Corps, you'd have guys run down to the Ace hardware and buy some cheap zinc plated bolts and want us to replace the certified aviation hardware because "is was a better value".

Conversely, I'd replace a lot of the hardware on my car with aviation-grade parts. Not so much any more. Car parts have gotten better since the 1970's.
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips, Stiletto End Caps, Dually ISO-Pegs, Master Cylinder Cover
Show Chrome Accessories Air Filter Cover
Diamond Plate Chrome Motorcycle Cup Holder
Jafrum SD 2051 Leather Studded Saddlebags / Street & Steel Saddlebag Support
Custom World International Turn Signal Relocator
Ride Bells thanks to my Better Half

kokopellioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #49 (permalink)

Don't the bolts have markings to indicate strength? You could point to the hose and ask how high they can fly without the bolts.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
And we all know it's true because you said so. Just like all parts counter folks are either great or kids learning the ropes. And it is the customer's responsibility to treat the counter folks -- whether good bad or indifferent -- with courtesy, respect and admiration lest they get overcharged (for parts they can get cheaper AND delivered to their door). Because you said so.

I did say stupidity is always possible and nothing can be excused for that. Where did I say all? I did say that all the ones that are good, at one point was a kid that was learning, and if that's the case-work with them instead of just being a dick. I believe I also said in my experience. And it is also in my experience that I and others I know, fix more problems because people bought from whichever online source you name and it was wrong. Now they want me to fix it and help with getting said online resource to take back the wrong part.

Also treating others with courtesy and respect is human decency. When you can't do that, I have no problem over-charging.

I recommend you watch the movie "Waiting", it should shed some light on the subject for you.

Lastly I would add that we can agree to disagree as we will never see eye to eye on this one.

Last edited by DarkSpirit750; 11-12-2012 at 03:41 PM.
DarkSpirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement