Pre Ride Rituals - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Garage

i understand i text my wife before i ride and if i stop anywhere. its a curtesy to her so she dont worry. she had a few friends get messed up bad and worries about me, gettin messed up by a cager.

i start the bike and rub the tank, and put her in gear, then let the wind blow in my face.
nothing finer. if i feared it i wouldnt ride.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven080510 View Post
It's not riding I worry about, its just that fact that nobody knows when they'll be called on to 'meet the Maker.' As far as messaging my wife goes, we do that no matter if I'm on the bike or in the car (and same for her).

Her brother was killed a couple of years ago in a car accident on his way to work. She's been funny about me letting her know what's up and when I'm leaving ever since. She gets utterly pissed when I don't let her know I'm gonna even be 10 minutes late. she knows exactly how long it takes me to get home. So, that's the reason for my 'ritual'- just wanted to make clear that it wasn't out of paranoia.
Certainly understandable. I have a wife who is a musician and she gets home sometimes 2AM. I lived in that world for years so I understand the hours. We use Lattitude to track each other when apart. She was hit by a drunk a year or so ago in the car. Not a good call to get. She worries about the bike. Calls it the "Widow Maker" but I have been riding for 35 years married t her for 6 of them. She has been a musician for 25 years and married to me for 6. We accepted the dangers of each others choices.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
. My pre-ride ritual is turn the key in, push the button..... go....In all honesty if I thought I had to say my "last anythings" every time I threw a leg over I would sell the bike. I am all for praying, but not for "safe riding" but for my wife's safety and health in general. I am not worried about riding at all. I have always felt I am in control of my destiny on my bike. If I thought or worse experienced, otherwise on a day to day basis, riding on two would not be worth the risk.

Have to agree. I feel the same way about my ride as I do about strapping my weapon on. If I thought today would be the day I would need it I wouldn't leave the house. If I thought today would be my last ride I wouldn't go on it. So I guess my ritual is check tires and oil. Look for the obvious and then enjoy the ride.
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

kiss the wife tell her i love her put helmet and right glove on then left and im out
shadowride69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Fat Kid

Take cover off, unlock steering, turn key on, push the button, apply choke if needed, open gate, put gloves on, put flip-up down, turn choke off, gear 1st - done...

'04 Aero 750 | '02 VTX1800R
Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Start bike, scratch and adjust nuts, ride. Pretty simple

"If you're not on at least one watch list then you're not really living"

1992 VT1100C
Thayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Right boot on first...left glove on first...never noticed that before you asked this question....Kinda funny..
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

I don't have any rituals or superstitions... per se... I check the tires, oil level, and lights about once a week (tires more often if its cold weather), but nothing is an absolute must-do. I always check to make sure the wallet is in my back pocket, cell-phone is in my jacket, and my weapon is secured... but I do that regardless of where I'm going or what I'm driving...

This is more OCD than superstition, but I DO ALWAYS put on my left glove or left sock/shoe/boot first... I don't seem to favor one side or the other when putting on my pants, shirts, or jacket, but come to think of it, I have always done that with gloves, socks, and shoes/boots as long as I can remember.... hmmmmm..... The things you think about... or don't think about
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I do a naked dance and drink the blood of a virgin.. seems to work
Sh!t! Me too!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven080510 View Post
+1 Same here- when I leave for work in the A.M. and when I leave the shop headed home for the day. ALWAYS. That and I message my wife and tell her I love her and I WILL NOT LEAVE until I see that she has read it and I get her reply and open it. Would hate for her to think I never saw it. We have some of the most terrible cagers in the world here I believe.
1+ for that raven

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement