first accident :( - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default first accident :(

looks like my minor restoration project just exploded. Bike isn't totaled, but its pretty heavily damaged. Ironic that just last night I was taking care to put the right amount of oil in and do my first oil change, and the biggest damage is the gear pedal getting pushed in so hard it pierced the left crank case cover, spilling the 3 qts of oil out almost instantly.

long story short, passing someone on the right (I know, I know, bad move) guy decides to pull into my lane without using his turn signal. slammed on brakes, one or both wheels locked up (dont remember it all became a blur) then I just remember being in a washing machine of asphalt spinning and preying that I don't get run over by a car behind me in the process. Finally everything stops, I happened to be next to my bike and right next to the curb. I get up, a few cars behind me stopped and were freaking out. fortunately I was wearing my full gloves, full helmet, leather jacket, and jeans. my knees and elbows got scraped up pretty good. there's a bit of road rash on my stomach and on the left side of my back. from what I can tell, I'm sore, but nothing broken.

I examined my poor bike and see all the contents of the oil pan spilling out everywhere, as if it was bleeding out. obviously, the chance of getting back on the bike went from slim to none with that kind of damage. from what I can tell, the majority of the damage is on the left side - the bike must've just slid. gear pedal is completely bent in, the speedometer is shattered, the left turn signals (from and year) are both smashed, the left side of the headlight is scuffed up really badly.

Assuming no mechanical damage beyond what I can see, I am guessing around 550-650 to replace my parts if I DIY all of it.

I'm just hoping the frame is completely intact (from what I can tell, quite a bit of the body didn't even get scratched - my brand new mac exhausts are untouched, as well as the rear fender/covers/gas can)

wish me luck on the bike repair
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Good luck on your repairs, glad you were not seriously hurt.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually, seeing those kind of numbers (and weighing in that I'm a complete amateur mechanic) would it be worth just saving up some money and having a mechanic tow/assess and repair all the damage?

I'm definitely not afraid to work on it, but I know there are some things that I am not experienced enough to handle (the front left brake caliper appears to have some damage to it, the line leading to it not the caliper itself)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto View Post
Actually, seeing those kind of numbers (and weighing in that I'm a complete amateur mechanic) would it be worth just saving up some money and having a mechanic tow/assess and repair all the damage?

I'm definitely not afraid to work on it, but I know there are some things that I am not experienced enough to handle (the front left brake caliper appears to have some damage to it, the line leading to it not the caliper itself)
YES....Let a pro do what pros do. LOL If I cannot fix or attach it with my Wal Mart socket set, it goes to the dealer. In my opinion, if I cannot afford to have the pros work on my bike I cannot afford to own a bike . I have never been a wrencher. Hate it. Plus in my case its "safer" to have the dealer work on it and assume liability.

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
YES....Let a pro do what pros do. LOL If I cannot fix or attach it with my Wal Mart socket set, it goes to the dealer. In my opinion, if I cannot afford to have the pros work on my bike I cannot afford to own a bike . I have never been a wrencher. Hate it. Plus in my case its "safer" to have the dealer work on it and assume liability.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. half the damage is cosmetic or parts that I think I could easily (and safely) replace myself with a basic socket set. like the turning signals. I don't put them on right...they don't work. I mess up repairing the front brake....I'm in trouble.

Maybe I will make it a winter project to replace what I assess is in my skillset, and have it towed in the spring for whatever is beyond me (probably the front brake is the only major thing).

Edit: There's also the fact that I bought the bike for 1100...taking it to a mechanic may very well take me over what I originally paid for it if I'm not careful.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can part out the good stuff and very nearly pay for another one at that price. Might be just as much work in the end, though.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Glad you're still around to post this.

2008 Black Goldwing ABS
xrayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Glad your ok.
I'm guessing the guy didn't even stop either
Fat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Glad you're okay, too. Brakes aren't that complicated honestly, play around with them a bit and see how you feel about it. Rotor damaged I assume? If it's not a perfectly flat disc, you need a new one...
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thankfully you had your riding gear on....do you remember your head hitting the road at any time? Just wandering........you can repair your bike but not your brain.
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement