Love - Hate Relationship - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

I love to ride, however for some unkown reason, I have days when I just don't feel as safe or confident as i normally do.
Also most days; starts, stops, turns and all basic maneuvers go smoothly and gracefully, then there are those days
days where I feel like a bull in a china shop. All mental I believe.
I've been riding for many years, so the issue is not inexperience, at least in my case.

Last edited by aacker; 11-10-2012 at 07:33 AM.
aacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

I really love getting up in the morning and taking my 30 min. ride to work, but there are times that as im pulling out the drive way that im a little nervous, for some reason? I think that is a good thing though. It causes me to be careful, like not running through intersections at car like speeds, slowing down around curves and just reminding myself to ride carefully. I watched a motorcycle the other day run through an intercection at full speed and as i watched i knew it was not going to turn out well for him if he hit the car that could have pulled and almost did in front of him.....i think its a healthy fear.....and to know that motorcycle-car collision is not going to turn out very well.
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Not with riding per se, but I did have a love/hate relationship with a particular bike during the first few months of ownership. It was a Goldwing 1500, and the sheer bulk and weight of the thing kind of intimidated me. While touring I would always get a little knot of anxiety in my stomach when I saw the "detour ahead" sign, knowing that it could turn out to be something in gravel or soft dirt where the 900-lb monster was essentially unmanageable. I certainly had a few pangs of buyer's remorse during that time.

At some point, however, the feeling suddenly vanished and I began to think of the 'Wing as just another bike, albeit a bigger one than most.
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
My first get off will be my last ride way or another. I have always felt that way. I don't even buy collision insurance. Comprehensive yes.
Brother, you need to find another bike somewhere that excites you!!! You've been riding commuters too long.
Spending so much time the last number of years in the war zones changed my perspectives a lot... sent me back to the days of riding shops and how a couple of us would get together a do a couple of thousand mile trips on bikes when we came back from deployments. First time I came back from the 'Stans I hopped on a friends Road King and we rode from Nevada to Maryland via FLorida and back home via Minnesota. Been doing something similar each time since. My little Shadow is a nice enough bike, but nothing to get the blood pumping. Luckily I have friends with extra bikes and I've had the opportunity to go on hauls on some really nice H'D's, and a Valkery. Sure, some of the trips we have taken make no sense like my trip this spring from NC back to Nevada in just three nights on the road, but it was fun, made me breath.. and grin hauling butt down the interstate at 85 mph. Go see if your local Yami dealer won't let you take a Raider for a test drive. Open it up going down the road and see if it won't get your blood stirring again. Maybe grag a Winger or Electric Glide and see if your beautiful wife won't want to ride behind you for a while. Cross the border north of you and see the area around Boone when the leaves are turning from the back of a bike. Might make you re-evaluate the whole boring bike syndrome thing.....
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to tgelphman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacker View Post
I love to ride, however for some unkown reason, I have days when I just don't feel as safe or confident as i normally do.
Also most days; starts, stops, turns and all basic maneuvers go smoothly and gracefully, then there are those days
days where I feel like a bull in a china shop. All mental I believe.
I've been riding for many years, so the issue is not inexperience, at least in my case.
I am totally like this. There are days where i just don't feel it. They are rare but they do exist. Other days i feel like i could fly on my bike and be safe.

05 VLX 600 - first bike.
tgelphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

I got spooked back in the mid 70's .I quit for 20 years....And i do think it is more dangerous
now with people looking at there cell phones. But I try to face the the fact that riding a motorcycle is dangerous..and you cant trust anyone,so i drive extremely defensive.And like i said .. DON'T TRUST ANYONE

95-shadow ace
07 road king-sold
06- superglide-sold
04 sportster-sold
harpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Brother, you need to find another bike somewhere that excites you!!! You've been riding commuters too long.
Spending so much time the last number of years in the war zones changed my perspectives a lot... sent me back to the days of riding shops and how a couple of us would get together a do a couple of thousand mile trips on bikes when we came back from deployments. First time I came back from the 'Stans I hopped on a friends Road King and we rode from Nevada to Maryland via FLorida and back home via Minnesota. Been doing something similar each time since. My little Shadow is a nice enough bike, but nothing to get the blood pumping. Luckily I have friends with extra bikes and I've had the opportunity to go on hauls on some really nice H'D's, and a Valkery. Sure, some of the trips we have taken make no sense like my trip this spring from NC back to Nevada in just three nights on the road, but it was fun, made me breath.. and grin hauling butt down the interstate at 85 mph. Go see if your local Yami dealer won't let you take a Raider for a test drive. Open it up going down the road and see if it won't get your blood stirring again. Maybe grag a Winger or Electric Glide and see if your beautiful wife won't want to ride behind you for a while. Cross the border north of you and see the area around Boone when the leaves are turning from the back of a bike. Might make you re-evaluate the whole boring bike syndrome thing.....
LOL Yeah, Chief, I view my bike in as much as a bicycle going to pick up a loaf of bread. But you need to understand where I have been and where I did most of my riding.

I started out riding my brother's bikes illegally in NJ but soon joined the service out of HS and was transferred to Point Loma where I bought my first bike and It was friggin California. To a kid from NJ California was utopia that we were not sure really existed. Back then in the 70's it indeed was......I expected to meet the Beach Boys and a lot of blondes. My first wife was a California beach blonde. After discharge in Groton, CT I went to back to San Diego with my cali wife and went to college there. The marriage went south but I stayed in the west

I bought a used I think 75 or 76 GL1000 and was licensed and schooled. A few of us had different bikes and we rode from San Diego to Phoenix and points north routinely for 15 years. Beautiful rides. In those days the road from San Diego to Escondido was two laner I bought a sport bike at the insistence of my brother who lived in Phoenix, who today at 58 still owns a CBR1000 and Ducati Monster. I had a green GPZ awhile and an Ascot somewhere along the line. I tried a lot of different rides...

Moved to LA for three years made some fun trips to the Rock Store. Great roads. I decided the adrenaline rush (and all the fashion gear) wasn't for me after more than a few close calls on LA freeways. I almost quit riding then, but I moved back to San Diego and then moved to Vegas where a trip to the Laughlin bike rally on a then CBR900 Custom led me to want and eventually buy a Harley FXR Sold it for stupid money into the Harley bubble afew years later and discovered the "bullet proof" water cooled gem, Honda VT1100. (Rode those until 07 when I found the Yamaha). For 12 or so years I rode those bikes back and forth to San Diego Phoenix and Utah..all throughout the SW and NW as I now had a brother in Phoenix and still many close and many riding friends in San Diego. ALL of them sportbike riders. I was always taking up the rear LOL . Made a few trips over my Vegas years to Branson where I worked a few months every couple years. Rode all though out the Ozarks in my off time. Five hour jaunts
then were like going to work today. Leave Vegas at 5PM on a Friday night. be in San Diego for the weekend by 11:30. Easy....then. LOL

Made a trip to NJ which was the beginning of the end of joyriding. I shipped the bike back and flew because I was tired of riding by that point and making a 5 day trip back through "boring" PA OH, Indiana and (no offense to those state residents) the worst state Kansas on 70 was not inviting again. I was riding freeways (commuting as opposed to riding) , My riding began to become a matter of convenience over joy. Vegas was convenient to own a bike. Parking was close. Weather was always nice. Rain was welcome. Loved the open area and VARIOUS riding conditions and scenery.

Moving here really capped of my riding for "fun" The "scenery" here is boring. Trees and winding roads leading to more trees and winding roads....I was spoiled by my years out west as far as joy riding. The Ozarks is SC on steroids as far as riding scenery.

I have no riding buddies here and if I really wanted to ride socially here I would buy a Harley and join that club of ownership. From my experience with one, and the little time I have spent around the riders here at many weekend warrior biker bars and resturants , I understand the camaraderie and like it or not, there IS a special kinship with Harley owners. That would be the way to go here to reignite the "motorcycle spark". This is Harley country.

Riding to Murrells Inlet on a weekend here on the Yammy is like being the best man at a wedding wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo. You are there. People are friendly but "there's those shoes"...... Lots of conservation is centered around brand kinship. Not actually riding. Its a good thing but I don't feel comfortable and cannot add to the "conversation" except to say "I kinda like brown".

I thought about getting various bikes over the years, VFRs, FZs, Honda DN-01, NCX700, V stroms. All of which I mentioned here over the years. but at the end of the day I am a slow poke "back of the line, all cars go first" passive commuter and the Cruiser really is the best bike for my style and offers the most protection from the wind and flying stuff considering my riding gear or lack thereof.

The question is do I want to make riding a social hobby again here? If so the answer is I need to pay the entry fee. I have no riding buddies here. Not like out west. No bike nights, No reason to ride 350 miles and 5 hours in any direction to visit anyone. The powersports dealership has no events. It's all Harley here for that kind of thing.

I actually almost bought one last May Harleys are relatively pretty cheap nowadays. I I spotted a really nice 09 7K mile Dyna low rider with $3k dripping from it for $10K asking. It peaked my interest enough from a financial depreciation standpoint as well to throw my bike on craigslist. I was begged from a buyer to buy my bike for $6900 for a month... But the HD sold before I got the offer so I decided to keep mine.

So until I decide to find something I can ride socially again with Payless black shoes, I putt back and forth to the store and Lowes, Costco now and then if I can fit what I need in the bags. The bags determine whether i take the bike or truck.
bike is ALWAYS the first choice

The wife.......Not going to happen. She is scared to death of losing me on the thing. I don't like two up riding especially with a nervous nelly. And since she was hit out of nowhere by a Drunk driver last year her resolve has become etched in stone. She knew if it were me., there would be no me. However like the great wife she is, she doesn't care what I buy. She is one of those rare birds who is selfless and cares more about what will make me happy. But she is not a "biker", never was and thankfully never will be.

Soooooooo find me an FXR with a V Rod motor!!!!!!!!! Win win.....

Last edited by Hondaguy; 11-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaguy View Post
LOL Yeah, Chief, I view my bike in as much as a bicycle going to pick up a loaf of bread. But you need to understand where I have been and where I did most of my riding.

I started out riding my brother's bikes illegally in NJ but soon joined the service out of HS and was transferred to Point Loma where I bought my first bike and It was friggin California. To a kid from NJ California was utopia that we were not sure really existed. Back then in the 70's it indeed was......I expected to meet the Beach Boys and a lot of blondes. My first wife was a California beach blonde. After discharge in Groton, CT I went to back to San Diego with my cali wife and went to college there. The marriage went south but I stayed in the west

I bought a used I think 75 or 76 GL1000 and was licensed and schooled. A few of us had different bikes and we rode from San Diego to Phoenix and points north routinely for 15 years. Beautiful rides. In those days the road from San Diego to Escondido was two laner I bought a sport bike at the insistence of my brother who lived in Phoenix, who today at 58 still owns a CBR1000 and Ducati Monster. I had a green GPZ awhile and an Ascot somewhere along the line. I tried a lot of different rides...

Moved to LA for three years made some fun trips to the Rock Store. Great roads. I decided the adrenaline rush (and all the fashion gear) wasn't for me after more than a few close calls on LA freeways. I almost quit riding then, but I moved back to San Diego and then moved to Vegas where a trip to the Laughlin bike rally on a then CBR900 Custom led me to want and eventually buy a Harley FXR Sold it for stupid money into the Harley bubble afew years later and discovered the "bullet proof" water cooled gem, Honda VT1100. (Rode those until 07 when I found the Yamaha). For 12 or so years I rode those bikes back and forth to San Diego Phoenix and Utah..all throughout the SW and NW as I now had a brother in Phoenix and still many close and many riding friends in San Diego. ALL of them sportbike riders. I was always taking up the rear LOL . Made a few trips over my Vegas years to Branson where I worked a few months every couple years. Rode all though out the Ozarks in my off time. Five hour jaunts
then were like going to work today. Leave Vegas at 5PM on a Friday night. be in San Diego for the weekend by 11:30. Easy....then. LOL

Made a trip to NJ which was the beginning of the end of joyriding. I shipped the bike back and flew because I was tired of riding by that point and making a 5 day trip back through "boring" PA OH, Indiana and (no offense to those state residents) the worst state Kansas on 70 was not inviting again. I was riding freeways (commuting as opposed to riding) , My riding began to become a matter of convenience over joy. Vegas was convenient to own a bike. Parking was close. Weather was always nice. Rain was welcome. Loved the open area and VARIOUS riding conditions and scenery.

Moving here really capped of my riding for "fun" The "scenery" here is boring. Trees and winding roads leading to more trees and winding roads....I was spoiled by my years out west as far as joy riding. The Ozarks is SC on steroids as far as riding scenery.

I have no riding buddies here and if I really wanted to ride socially here I would buy a Harley and join that club of ownership. From my experience with one, and the little time I have spent around the riders here at many weekend warrior biker bars and resturants , I understand the camaraderie and like it or not, there IS a special kinship with Harley owners. That would be the way to go here to reignite the "motorcycle spark". This is Harley country.

Riding to Murrells Inlet on a weekend here on the Yammy is like being the best man at a wedding wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo. You are there. People are friendly but "there's those shoes"...... Lots of conservation is centered around brand kinship. Not actually riding. Its a good thing but I don't feel comfortable and cannot add to the "conversation" except to say "I kinda like brown".

I thought about getting various bikes over the years, VFRs, FZs, Honda DN-01, NCX700, V stroms. All of which I mentioned here over the years. but at the end of the day I am a slow poke "back of the line, all cars go first" passive commuter and the Cruiser really is the best bike for my style and offers the most protection from the wind and flying stuff considering my riding gear or lack thereof.

The question is do I want to make riding a social hobby again here? If so the answer is I need to pay the entry fee. I have no riding buddies here. Not like out west. No bike nights, No reason to ride 350 miles and 5 hours in any direction to visit anyone. The powersports dealership has no events. It's all Harley here for that kind of thing.

I actually almost bought one last May Harleys are relatively pretty cheap nowadays. I I spotted a really nice 09 7K mile Dyna low rider with $3k dripping from it for $10K asking. It peaked my interest enough from a financial depreciation standpoint as well to throw my bike on craigslist. I was begged from a buyer to buy my bike for $6900 for a month... But the HD sold before I got the offer so I decided to keep mine.

So until I decide to find something I can ride socially again with Payless black shoes, I putt back and forth to the store and Lowes, Costco now and then if I can fit what I need in the bags. The bags determine whether i take the bike or truck.
bike is ALWAYS the first choice

The wife.......Not going to happen. She is scared to death of losing me on the thing. I don't like two up riding especially with a nervous nelly. And since she was hit out of nowhere by a Drunk driver last year her resolve has become etched in stone. She knew if it were me., there would be no me. However like the great wife she is, she doesn't care what I buy. She is one of those rare birds who is selfless and cares more about what will make me happy. But she is not a "biker", never was and thankfully never will be.

Soooooooo find me an FXR with a V Rod motor!!!!!!!!! Win win.....
Completely understand. Like I said, with me, it's easier here as I am around other Chiefs that retired here or at least guys that wore the uniform for a number of years... and now also a small group of guys that I've spent time humping hills, sucking sand and dodging bullets with. I find I don't have much use for many people that don't all into one of those categories. I've had a few MC groups try to recruit me into their clubs but that'll never happen... not my thing... I've passed initiations that mattered, not going to waste time working my way through one to be in a "club". The "clubs" I care about are based on past shared experiences, not shared interests.
I normally ride the Shadow to work, though lately I've been rotating between my two trucks and the Mustang. That's all the Shadow is to me though, transportation. The day it won't start, or the day I go down on it, I'll probably strike a match on it and walk away. It doesn't bring much fun to the table. All I'll ride is cruisers, but I like them big and fast. I've found that pretty much every bike out there is pretty bullet proof and dependable as long as you take care of them... and don't start adding too much aftermarket to the engines. Any big bike I'll own I'll buy new. That way I'll never have to wonder when I've got it opened up screaming down the road.
Fun was when my phone rang and it was a buddy saying "let's go to Sturgis, so and so and so and so is gonna meet us there, reservations are made and you can ride my extra bike". That's where the joy comes in. When I'm on the highways, I'm generally one of the fastest on the road. That also brings out the joy. No way will I ever give ground to someone else just because he's driving a vehicle with more wheels. I don't lose a bit of sleep over "close calls". I'm confident straddling the bike at the beginning of the day that nothing out there can get me and the day I lose that confidence is the day I sell all my stuff. Hopefully that day won't come any time in the near future.
I understand about your wife. Mine is content to wave goodbye to me as I leave. She sure as heck will never hop on behind... and that's fine with me, it's bad enough her riding along with me in the other vehicles... motorcycle time is "my" time!!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
Completely understand. Like I said, with me, it's easier here as I am around other Chiefs that retired here or at least guys that wore the uniform for a number of years... and now also a small group of guys that I've spent time humping hills, sucking sand and dodging bullets with. I find I don't have much use for many people that don't all into one of those categories. I've had a few MC groups try to recruit me into their clubs but that'll never happen... not my thing... I've passed initiations that mattered, not going to waste time working my way through one to be in a "club". The "clubs" I care about are based on past shared experiences, not shared interests.
I normally ride the Shadow to work, though lately I've been rotating between my two trucks and the Mustang. That's all the Shadow is to me though, transportation. The day it won't start, or the day I go down on it, I'll probably strike a match on it and walk away. It doesn't bring much fun to the table. All I'll ride is cruisers, but I like them big and fast. I've found that pretty much every bike out there is pretty bullet proof and dependable as long as you take care of them... and don't start adding too much aftermarket to the engines. Any big bike I'll own I'll buy new. That way I'll never have to wonder when I've got it opened up screaming down the road.
Fun was when my phone rang and it was a buddy saying "let's go to Sturgis, so and so and so and so is gonna meet us there, reservations are made and you can ride my extra bike". That's where the joy comes in. When I'm on the highways, I'm generally one of the fastest on the road. That also brings out the joy. No way will I ever give ground to someone else just because he's driving a vehicle with more wheels. I don't lose a bit of sleep over "close calls". I'm confident straddling the bike at the beginning of the day that nothing out there can get me and the day I lose that confidence is the day I sell all my stuff. Hopefully that day won't come any time in the near future.
I understand about your wife. Mine is content to wave goodbye to me as I leave. She sure as heck will never hop on behind... and that's fine with me, it's bad enough her riding along with me in the other vehicles... motorcycle time is "my" time!!!!!
Yes yes and yes.... LOL Speaking of this thread, I had a very close one today. Completely my fault. Gave me a whole lot of pause.

I accelerated out of my issue and nearly lost it.... This time I was the one making a left behind a vehicle in the center median who pulled out of where I was going and stopped to make his left into my line of traffic. I saw a car coming over his roof and decided I could make the turn.... Problem was I did not see the car in front of it as it was completely blocked by the car in front of me. I pulled out right in front of it and saw the front end of him about 10 feet away in full lock I was already in the turn so stopping was going to be really bad so I twisted the throttle to the stops in a full left turn just enough acceleration to clear the car by a foot off my rear right bag, but not enough to avoid skidding the rear out, I kept on the throttle and off the brakes, wiggled a few times and finally straightened it out pulling into the Mall.

I immediately thought of this thread and the "pre ride ritual" praying thread..lol I said a prayer of thanks and wondered if it was wake up call. I was fully geared up as its cool here at night and that is likely why I decided to make the turn. I am always more aggressive geared up. If I was in my usual shorts and a T, I know I would have waited for all the vehicles to clear out and would have still been surprised by the one I did not see..in front of the one I though was the only danger.

Have not had a self induced pucker moment in years. Second one in two months, plus a near miss deer encounter in a 45 degree sweeper last Spring Someone may be knocking.... Naaaaaaaaaaah. Learning moments.

Nice you have Service connections and a shared past and present. I moved too much and traveled to much when I was "home" sometimes I think those who never left home and enjoyed close small town lifetime friendships might have been the smarter ones.

Last edited by Hondaguy; 11-11-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

so far i can't say i've ever hated anything about riding. i love the anticipation of a good long ride. i love meeting up with my buddies.... and of course ripping down the road with the ocean off to the side! (love the coastal cities!)

i can't say i've ever hated anything about riding thus far... but i agree that sometimes for whatever reason I don't feel as sharp. sometimes i can shake it off and othertimes I just go back home and take the car!

i also love how much action my pre ride rituals thread has got! fantastic insight!

maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement