gremlins stole my bell - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default gremlins stole my bell

what does it mean when your gremlin bell disappears? Ill assume that it took a major gremlin with it. Got back from a nice ride today and while looking under the bike i saw an empty ring where my bell was once hanging. She will be missed.

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat
dorfman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I lost 1 too and thought the same, I rather large gremlin must have taken it off. Luckily I had 1 that someone had just givien me so I threw that 1 on and I'm still good to go.

750shadowC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

i hate to sound brand new but whats a gremlin bell?
i know what a gremlin is and i know what a bell is.
are you talking about a real bell because the last owner put an small real bell on my handle bars and said it kept him from dropping the bike and out of superstition i just cant take it off.
BoomBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup that's a gremlin bell. Traditionally they are put onto a low part of the frame, and "gremlins" get drawn into the bell by the ringing.

As far as superstition goes, anything that makes it more enjoyable for you goes. Just try to keep the live chickens on a leash.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm prretty sure the gremlin that stole my first bell was about 14 and wearing a hoody...

2007 Shadow Spirit VT1100C "Silver Bullet"
Ride bell courtesy of my wife.
Rainsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm totally new. The post is amusing as all get out. Can we explain the superstition from the start?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Saor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you noticed that some riders have a small bell hanging off their motorcycle frame or handlebars?Have you wondered what the purpose is?Well, you have come to the right place.That little bell is more than decoration, it serves a very important purpose – it wards off gremlins, also known as evil road spirits.
You see, there are motorcycle gremlins that LOVE to ride, but they are also mischievous little devils and they cause all sorts of problems for you while you are riding.Some say they are responsible for that old lady in the minivan not seeing you and cutting you off in traffic.Or, you may be having trouble shifting smoothly, your battery goes dead, your turn signal suddenly refuses to work, an oil spill appears out of nowhere, you hit a patch of black ice, etc – you get the idea.Those little gremlins look for trouble and try to steer your bike towards it.
Now, once you get a bell on your scoot – it wards off these attacks from the little gremlins, not allowing any more to get onto your bike.If you already have some gremlins riding with you, they will get trapped in the hollow of the bell, and the constant ringing will drive them insane – causing them to lose their grip and fall to the roadway.
Do you have the protection of a gremlin bell?If you buy a gremlin bell of your own, the power works.If you receive the gremlin bell as a gift – the powerful magic of the bell is doubled. Do you have a friend who does not have a gremlin bell yet? Why not be the person to give them one, they'll thank you! The bell, and a good preventive maintenance program by the bike's owner, will help eliminate the gremlins.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

and another
LEGEND OF THE RIDE BELL

Many years ago, on a cold December night, an old greybeard biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night, he thought about how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and about his trusty old bike that hadn't let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

About 50 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as Road Gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like one shoe, boards and pieces of old tires on the road and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the Road Gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

As the old greybeard rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the Road Gremlins made their way towards him. The greybeard, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in the hopes of scaring off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day's ride and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air, they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being a part of the biker Brotherhood, they proceeded to ward off the gremlins until the last of them ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old greybeard offerred to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the greybeard cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebag tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the bikers' motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travellers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the Road Gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life...friendship from a fellow biker.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Very nice post about the legend of the ride bell. Nice reminder to always stop to help if you can do so safely.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing....for some reason I thought the bell was a religious thing.....this superstition makes much more sense to me than most religions.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
deadshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement