Almost laid down my bike - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Almost laid down my bike

On my way to work almost laid down my bike. I was travelling on a 2 lane each direction with a left turn lane to get on to the on ramp to the highway. I was following a dump truck in the left lane for about 3 miles before the turn. While following I would change my lane position periodically from the left to right and watch the driver of the dump truck look into their mirror. This was letting me know that she know I was behind her.
Come up to the left turn lane which I needed to get into for my turn onto the highway. The dump truck did not signal or move into the turn lane. I waited a few seconds to make sure that she was not moving over. I changed lanes, while she slowed the dump truck down. I'm now at the front of the dullies and 1 blink from the turn signal and over comes the dump truck. I hit the brakes. I'm now thinking I'm going under the dullies and going to be road kill. About the time I was about to lay the bike down and let it go and hope to god I could push myself in a different direction. I was on my horn and every car at the intersection was on their horns trying to warn the dump truck driver of the situation at hand. I stopped and the dump truck went on to the highway. I had to back the bike up to get out of the intersection since my green arrow had now turned red by this time.
It was nice to have a minute or two to calm down before I hit the highway. I get on the highway heading to work when I start to come up on the same truck. I'm in the far left of the left lane while passing the truck. She moved over again on me. Now I'm pissed.
The driver and I had some serious words with each other at the gate of the military base. It got so bad that I was almost detained at the gate for getting of my bike and climbing up the drivers door of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah 2x in the space of a few minutes would piss me off too. Glad you kept your wits about you, and maybe she'll look a bit closer before she merges for a while. Betcha 10 to 1 she was texting/facebooking.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are too many jerks like that truck driver out there. Lesson learned! Great that you didn't get involved in an accident. Good luck and ride safe.
tucker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeAstringer Send a message via Skype™ to MikeAstringer

Vegas was always kind of a crazy place to ride. I lived near the 215 and Windmill for a good portion of the 11 years I lived in Vegas. Prior to that I was in the Southwest part of town off Flamingo and a cross street I can't remember at the moment. I used to ride to work a lot of days too but for recreational riding I always headed for the desert - out towards Red Rock Canyon or Laughlin or the 15 Freeway north out of town. I couldn't ride to Hoover Dam because one of my greatest fears is heights. The roads heading to Hoover Dam would freeze me with fear - even in a car. I would have loved to ride past the Dam into Arizona but couldn't bring myself to ride to the Dam.
www.facebook.com/mikeastringer

MikeAstringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just wandering weather you took the MSF rider course? I dont blame you for being upset, but road rage on a motorcycle against a dump truck is not going to end well or any auto as for as that goes. People are pre-occupied as they drive and many times they will not see you. Those boys need thier dad.....becareful !!
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

AND....that is a sharp bike!!
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Glad you made it through sound and whole. Having recently had a similar event happen to me, I know the high emotion that kind of experience can cause. Just keep those two boys and their mother in mind if that kind of thing happens again.

"Past experience carries with its advantages the drawback that things never happen the same way again." - Winston Churchill

E'ville Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcspencer211 View Post
About the time I was about to lay the bike down and let it go and hope to god I could push myself in a different direction.
Did you think that it might help to lay the bike down? I see this more and more lately and it's wrong IMO.
wallasan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallasan10 View Post
Did you think that it might help to lay the bike down? I see this more and more lately and it's wrong IMO.
I don't think that he was going to lay it down on purpose. He was just heading in that direction. He was looking ahead and thinking about how he was going to get out from under the truck once he hit pavement. That's the way I took it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
I don't think that he was going to lay it down on purpose. He was just heading in that direction. He was looking ahead and thinking about how he was going to get out from under the truck once he hit pavement. That's the way I took it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I didn't want to, was thinking if it goes down can I get away from the bike and not go under the dullies with the bike.

Tcspencer211
Sponsored Links
Advertisement