trailer options - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default trailer options

I am doing some work on my bike since the accident left it inoperable, and have a question:

I may be moving soon and have a car (04 honda civic). Do they make small trailers that would fit on a car that small for towing a bike? (84 vt700c shadow) I may also use it to drag it to a shop to have a shop repair the engine damage for me.
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

If you can find a Hitch for your Car you can get a Trailer to Pull easily.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have one but am considering making one...or buying one...

Trailer In A Bag - Motorcycle Trailers - Scooter Trailers - ATV Trailers - Trike Trailers

Last edited by ejsaenz; 11-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
ejsaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're talking about trailering for a 1-time use, your options are pretty limited...Usually to renting a truck instead.

Before you buy or rent a trailer, you'll need to have a hitch installed anyway. In the bygone years of big metal car bumpers, U-Haul had a removable rental hitch that they could attach to the bumper. I don't believe that's an option anymore.

So I had a hitch installed on my car, a small sports coupe.

Give U-Haul a buzz (or any other place that installs them) and give them the details about your car and they'll let you know if you car can handle towing and if there is a hitch available for it.
It will almost definitely be a Class 1 hitch, but that's still enough to tow the smaller rental trailers and certainly the motorcycle trailers.

Instead of having the expense of buying a trailer and having to find somewhere to keep it, I just rent one as needed. It's come in very handy and all the trailer rental costs I've paid since the installation have been a fraction of what I would have paid for my own trailer.

Menhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

I have a 6x10 that has a Drop gate that will fit 2 Bikes staggered or one Center.I have 3 different sets of Holed drilled for the MC stand so I drop the gate and drive it on.Your Honda probally wouldnt like Pulling it though.I pull it with a Expedition

Last edited by rkforrest; 11-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
rkforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got a 4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight that is perfect for towing a bike. It's the folding trailer so, once I'm done with it, it folds in half and stands up in the back corner of the garage. It's light enough that a Civic shouldn't have any problems pulling it with a bike loaded up. It can usually be had for around $250 or so. Probably a little less with one of their coupons. I guarantee you can find a hitch for the back of the civic. That's going to be another $100 or so. Unless you're planning several trips, though, I think previous suggestions of renting a truck are probably going to be your cheapest option.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hate to differ with everybody about renting a truck being cheaper. I rented a U haul in 92 one way from Chicago to Toledo and it was almost $400.00. Renting local I believe they are about 50 cents per mile on top of the daily charge and gas.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gmck

hidden hitch makes a hitch for your car.
gmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Moving

Why not rent a truck, put the bike in the truck with your stuff and trailer the car.

2011 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C
1234thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

It sounds like using a rental moving truck would be the best option for what I'm planning on using it for.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Edit: Actually...after reviewing the trailer in a bag vid and checking out there website, I'm strongly considering one of those. The price definitely isn't out of my reach, especially for something that can be re-usable if I upgrade or change bikes.

Last edited by proto; 11-18-2012 at 12:21 AM.
proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement