Cold weather gear - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Cold weather gear

Has anyone used Freeze-Out gear while riding? What do you think of if? Thanks.

Tcspencer211
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought the Freeze-Out jacket and pants from Cycle Gear when they first came out. I'm assuming what they are selling now is pretty much the same thing.

I like 'em. One of my best riding purchases.

It's not a substitute for appropriately warm clothing. It's a windproof layer that you wear in addition to your clothing that keeps the wind from sapping away body heat at speed.

I wear it all the time in the winter.

Also, It packs light, so I'll wear it or bring it along on trips when I expect big temperature swings during the day.
I also found that it makes good camping pajamas on cooler-than-expected nights.
It's not spandex-tight either. It doesn't look like long-johns, so you can wear it around the campsite if you don't mind looking like Racer-X

A couple of notes:
If I recall, the sizes may run small. I'd try them out in the store rather than purchase them over the interwebs.
The pants have stirrups so you can pull other layers over them without bunching...The jacket sleeves have thumb holes for the same purpose. The waist on mine was cut just a bit too low. They may have fixed this on the newer version, but if you get them too small, you're in serious risk of Plumbers Butt.

Last edited by Menhir; 11-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Menhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is my first year riding and I went to Cycle Gear and purchased the Balaclava, Glove Liners, Pant Liners, Shirt and Boot Liners.

I've ridden at 40 degrees and was able to stay warm.

Balaclava is awesome! Not too tight, doesn't have to cover my nose if I don't want and keeps wind and cold out. My favorite part of the purchase. I'm buying one for a friend.

Pant liners and warm shirt. These are really good for the price. Nothing special but they work and they're not that expensive.

Sock liners - They're fine but I just purchased Carhartt wool socks and won't use the sock liners anymore.

Glove liners - tore a seam on about the 3rd ride.

I would purchase the Balaclava, pant liners and shirt again. I would not purchase the boot liners or glove liners.
SirMoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

These things are awesome for the price ($15):
C9 by Champion« Men's Running Glove with Easy To... : Target gloves

They keep my hands in good shape down to about 50 degrees, and I've been using them under a decent pair of winter gauntlets as a poor man's liner with great success.

They don't beat electric and they're probably not as good as proper cold weather liners, but they're useful as a general spring/fall glove on top of working well as a liner.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

i use the freeze out glove liners and the gf uses the pant liners. we both love them. keeps just enough wind out to really help on those cold rides

'07 Spirit 1100
Cobra Drags
K&N Filter
more to come....
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the feedback think I'll try it out. It is on sale 75% off right now.

Tcspencer211
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

layers.

layers.

layers.

if you layer, you trap air, and trapped air turns to heat.

i'm almost sweating before i leave the house on cold days. yeah, the ride in 36║F can freeze body parts, but those can always grow back.

but seriously, i'm a cheap-ass and don't splurge for anything in particular. personally, i would wait for next spring/summer season to buy winter gear. it'll be super discounted especially from Cyclegear. But if you must... then you must.

I just wear my work pants, followed by long underwear, followed by jeans. Face mask (i had since i ran x-country back in high school), and a pair of gloves that fit in my winter riding gloves. My jacket has a liner, but I'll wear 2-3 shirts (undershirt, work shirt, over-shirt). I can stay pretty toasty and I really haven't spent a single dime.

Live to ride another day!
davelisowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement