helmet suggestion - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrod1@hotmail.com View Post
I think I will look into fullface helmets . I tryed one on didnt like it but I dont think it was the right fit.
Be careful about trying a helmet in a store and then ordering online. I tried a size on in a store, fit like a glove. Ordered online because I wanted a different color, same size tho. Just a wee large. Fortunately a doo-rag on my head takes up the slack.

Full face and modular are great. With the chin bar in place, I can call my fellow divers anything I want to and they can't hear and get po'd at me. Just one more safety aspect.
Kuryakyn ISO-Grips, Stiletto End Caps, Dually ISO-Pegs, Master Cylinder Cover
Show Chrome Accessories Air Filter Cover
Diamond Plate Chrome Motorcycle Cup Holder
Jafrum SD 2051 Leather Studded Saddlebags / Street & Steel Saddlebag Support
Custom World International Turn Signal Relocator
Ride Bells thanks to my Better Half

Last edited by kokopellioh; 11-21-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: ... more
kokopellioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Keep in mind a helmet will loosen up considerably over a month or two, better to buy it a bit tight than have your investment be ill-fitting after the break-in period. Also, avoid cheap off-brand stuff. $60 helmets are for $60 heads.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

So long as they're cert'd they offer the same protection. DOT is DOT and Snell is Snell, and both will save your head. I don't have the paper on hand, but there's a grad paper out on the real world difference between the two certs. They found that in each case the Snell saved the skull that the DOT didn't there were a minimum of 3 other deadly injuries.

That said I have a Snell, but it wasn't really a factor in my decision it just worked out that way.

The cheaper helmets offer the same protection but they can get annoying by:
Constant wind noise.
Pads not being removable/machine washable/eeeeeeew.
Cheap plastic wherever possible, so visors snap off, and all kinds of other annoying things.
Minimal venting which can increase fatigue.
Visor constantly fogging up/in need of treatment instead of having a built in coating.

You can get a good helmet for cheap though. Especially as long as sites like this exist:
Motorcycle Closeouts

The key is to try it on in a shop and be sure to get the same model/brand or confirm with a sizing chart that it's the same size. If you're buying online wear it around the house for an hour or so in case you need to exchange it for a different size. Here's a photo of me testing the latest one:

Once you wear it on the road and take all the stickers and junk off your typical return policy gets a lot less forgiving.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have heard horror stories about knockoffs. Not hard for some company in Korea to make their own Snell or dot stickers. I do agree the biggest difference in helmets is the features you listed, but I still wouldn't buy a brand that didn't have a reputation. Bell, scorpion, icon, kbc, hjc, arai, shoei are all good established brands and between them you will find pieces ranging from $100-$1500 and every bell, whistle, material, color, and sparkly paint job you could ask for. While you're getting gear I'd suggest a pair of Kevlar jeans. I bought a pair of sliders jeans last spring and they're awesome.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowmo

I have a long narrow head also and I went with the Arai Signet-Q. I spent several days driving around from shop to shop trying to find something that felt right. I was getting headaches after only a few minutes of trying on helmets and after trying a few that left a big red mark on my forehead the guy said "oh, you have an arai head" Went to a place that carried that brand and tried on their helmets. The Signet-Q is their longest and narrowest right now and feels great. I"m able to wear a large in it where everything else I was having to go like 2x to keep it from hurting.

Try them on and see if they fit, then go to The Helmet Harbor, LLC their prices on arai helmets are great and when I called them on the phone to order it he gave me an additional 30$ or so off.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
HI. Iam having a hard time finding a helmet that fits me. I have a long and narrow head any suggestions would be apprecated. I am lookind at the modular or open face types .
There must be a big, well-stocked motorcycle store in Chicago. Go and try on lots of helmets until you find something that fits you properly.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hoorah! I'm in the 10.1% club!

Don't go cheap, go savy shopper.

1993 Harley-Davidson XLH 1200 Sportster

1997 Harley-Davidson FXSTC Softail Custom
GPSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
HI. Iam having a hard time finding a helmet that fits me. I have a long and narrow head any suggestions would be apprecated. I am lookind at the modular or open face types .
Sorry...couldn't help myself

"If you're not on at least one watch list then you're not really living"

1992 VT1100C
Thayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage

Hahahahaha! Sweet!

Live to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement