sons of Anarchy swag - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: Sons of anarchy swag
Yes I did 6 6.25%
No I have not 90 93.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Murk213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 58
Default

This has been a topic of discussion for a few years with my buddies that I ride with, and actually, friends that don't ride either, lol.

As for me, I've seen the first season and part of the second on Netflix and I own zero merchandise. There were some guys at work that talked about the show and I figured I would give it a chance and in all actuality, it's not a bad show at all. But personally, I wouldn't wear any of the garb that goes with it, riding or not.

Now the reason it's a big topic around my inner circle of friends/co workers, is that we have a guy in our group that will dress from head to toe in SoA gear, even with SoA dogtags hanging around his neck. The part that gets me is that this guy never even mentioned any interest in motorcycles before 2 years ago or so.

So now we get to see him decked out in the gear and he even has Anarchy tattoo's to boot. He had tattoo's before so that's not a deal breaker. But come on man, we all think he's caught up in some land of make believe.

What locked it in for me, was when he was having issues with one of the guys we rode with and he was going around saying crap like, "That guy's such a loser, he would never be a patched member."

Really? lol It makes me laugh.

So to me, as long as you don't get so caught up in it, that you think you're actually a part of the show, knock your socks off.

Just don't lose focus of reality.
Murk213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 180
Default

I don't watch the show, but have a related question prompted by this thread. I ride alone, as it is both fun & my only mode of transportation, somehow I never had a riding friend. Also, I am not really familiar with details of biker "folklore", just discovering it here & there, on the Internet So, what potentially happens if say, I, ride my ACE 750, see a bar & some bikes parked, and think to myself: "BEER, BIKES"!!! I walk in to have a drink and find out that this is some hardcore MC hang out. I wear no patches, what's the likely scenario to expect? Hostility, indifference, or friendly "biker-buddy" attitude?
harpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
LANCESSABRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 58
Default

Love the show however wont see me wearing any of there gear
__________________
LANCESSABRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 6,028
Default

FIrst off I do watch the show but I'm a cheap ******* and won't buy expensive advertising. Second, we have a large number of Latin KIngs living less then a 1/4 mile from us and they have never hassled any rider that I am aware of and they would probably just laugh their ass off if they saw someone with SOA clothing on. I ride my ride, they ride theirs and no one gets hassled.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
davelisowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 613
Garage
Default

i haven't watched the show. i don't have any of the gear or swag.

it's like the dudes who buy motorcycle jackets to wear in their cage... oh, wait... i've done that (although it is an actual leather moto jacket. just not one for cold riding)

anyway. watching SOA doesn't make you a biker or MC member anymore than watching Law and Order makes you a cop or DA.

i like Game of Thrones, but that doesn't make me a king. or does it...?
__________________

*********

Live to ride another day!
davelisowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
squidchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: out West
Posts: 1,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpomatic View Post
I don't watch the show, but have a related question prompted by this thread. I ride alone, as it is both fun & my only mode of transportation, somehow I never had a riding friend. Also, I am not really familiar with details of biker "folklore", just discovering it here & there, on the Internet So, what potentially happens if say, I, ride my ACE 750, see a bar & some bikes parked, and think to myself: "BEER, BIKES"!!! I walk in to have a drink and find out that this is some hardcore MC hang out. I wear no patches, what's the likely scenario to expect? Hostility, indifference, or friendly "biker-buddy" attitude?
More than likely, and I repeat, more than likely .. there will be no problem, or no more problems than one would have anywhere there's groups of people and booze. If it's a regular MC in there, I wouldn't exactly expect the "friendly biker buddy" attitude, probably more of a curious interest in who had the stones to come in along with a nod and then back turned. I've never heard of anyone NOT wearing colors being harassed anywhere, but then again, there's plenty of places left in this world I've never been to!
I saw my first SOA MC patch on a guys leather jacket the other day and had to do a double take to believe it. I'd imagine any regular MC that saw it would find it rather humorous, but it might also attract the same kind of possible negative attention any obvious poser would attract. If someone showed up wearing a SOA patch to ride with a group, I'd probably just laugh and ask them if they're serious...... and let it go at that.
__________________
"For those of US who fought for it....FREEDOM..... has a flavor the protected will never know"
HAFND!!
squidchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 5,232
Default

I don't watch the show, so no I don't have or desire the swag. I thought it was a good idea till I saw the first few show and knew it would be just another crime soap-opera, having little or nothing to do with bikers or the biker life.

I don't see how wearing SOA swag makes you a Wannabe, any more than the many Hells Angles and other clubs ride shirts I wear makes me a wannabe 1%'er. My wife does have a SOA shirt, she won it at a HA party?!?! It's not the clothes that make you a poser, its the pose.
__________________
93 VT1100C Sleeper, VH Exhaust, Saddleman Seat, Baby Apes, Metzlers, 2mm sleeved and bored (1150cc),10.5:1 comp, Modified Heads, Valves, Cams, Adjustable Timing, Bored Carbs.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 5,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpomatic View Post
I don't watch the show, but have a related question prompted by this thread. I ride alone, as it is both fun & my only mode of transportation, somehow I never had a riding friend. Also, I am not really familiar with details of biker "folklore", just discovering it here & there, on the Internet So, what potentially happens if say, I, ride my ACE 750, see a bar & some bikes parked, and think to myself: "BEER, BIKES"!!! I walk in to have a drink and find out that this is some hardcore MC hang out. I wear no patches, what's the likely scenario to expect? Hostility, indifference, or friendly "biker-buddy" attitude?
FWI a real club patch is more likely to cause issues than anything from SOA or any other commercial source. Chief got it right. You pull into a real biker bar they will mostly ignore you. Oh they might raz you over the rice burner. They will definately raz you if you are wearing SOA swag. But, look closer, so are they. They will also, show you RESPECT, if you show them respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidchief View Post
More than likely, and I repeat, more than likely .. there will be no problem, or no more problems than one would have anywhere there's groups of people and booze. If it's a regular MC in there, I wouldn't exactly expect the "friendly biker buddy" attitude, probably more of a curious interest in who had the stones to come in along with a nod and then back turned. I've never heard of anyone NOT wearing colors being harassed anywhere, but then again, there's plenty of places left in this world I've never been to!
I saw my first SOA MC patch on a guys leather jacket the other day and had to do a double take to believe it. I'd imagine any regular MC that saw it would find it rather humorous, but it might also attract the same kind of possible negative attention any obvious poser would attract. If someone showed up wearing a SOA patch to ride with a group, I'd probably just laugh and ask them if they're serious...... and let it go at that.
__________________
93 VT1100C Sleeper, VH Exhaust, Saddleman Seat, Baby Apes, Metzlers, 2mm sleeved and bored (1150cc),10.5:1 comp, Modified Heads, Valves, Cams, Adjustable Timing, Bored Carbs.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Idaho Falls
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelisowski View Post
i haven't watched the show. i don't have any of the gear or swag.

it's like the dudes who buy motorcycle jackets to wear in their cage... oh, wait... i've done that (although it is an actual leather moto jacket. just not one for cold riding)

anyway. watching SOA doesn't make you a biker or MC member anymore than watching Law and Order makes you a cop or DA.

i like Game of Thrones, but that doesn't make me a king. or does it...?
Did you buy the GOT crown?

I would insist you wear that on rides!
__________________
--------------------------------------------
Doesn't matter what you ride, just that you do!
--------------------------------------------


1994 Honda Shadow 600



2002 Honda VFR FI
mblosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Goat Regime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 680
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblosch View Post
I asked two riders that wanted to ride in a group ride to remove it or leave. They left with threats of getting back at me.

How seriously do you take the show and the pretend 1%'r lifestyle?
Good on you man, although everyone is entitled to represent themselves and, dress how they wish, this is one circumstance I can't argue with - primarily because they're acting like poseurs, and that is not riding one's own ride in my opinion at least.

Personally, I think the merchandising for this show is ridiculous and seems to be geared towards people that as you said yourself, want to pretend to be a part of the fringe society of 1%'ers.
I actually think I'd rather see the yuppies with their matching bikes and leathers on HD's than this SoA stuff..and that's saying a lot. Nothing against HD and some of their riders, I just don't care for certain groups of them - the same would go for any other brand if it were the case.

If people want to project that image, then either join a real 1% group or, simply come up with your own riding group and get some things printed as, I don't think the cost between getting stuff made and buying Hollywood merch to be much different in cost. Having worked with bands that get their own merch pressed, screened and what not, I know it can be done on a budget.
__________________
"All great art is made of suffering, as are we."
'01 CBR600F4i
'03 Blackened VT750DC - Gone!
-V&H Crüzers, Dynajet, Pirelli Route 666

Goat Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum