Ladies of the forum... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelKel View Post
Well speaking of knowing a bit about the bike you ride, I had an interesting occurrence happen on the way to work the other morning. I pulled away from a stop light and when I went to shift into second the shifter lifted up with no resistance whatsoever. After pulling over into a side street, I ascertained what had happened. Apparently a bolt had worked its way loose that held my shifter to the connecting rod. After a little brainstorming, I found some wire on the side of the road which I used to hold everything together enough to make it a little ways down the road to the nearest gas station. Once there, I was able to fashion a better temporary fix that would get to work and back home out of a car battery terminal. (gas stations are somewhat limited on their selection of possible fixing agents) all of this and I STILL made it to work on time

Excuse the ratty nature of my bike ... It is not a beauty queen by any means.
take this tip to heart, it matters not if it is a Harley or a Honda ( and anything in between ) do a periodical check of not only your fasteners but your frame.. one would be surprised at how common a stress crack is on bikes.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Truthfully folks, male or female if you ride you should know at least the basics. Many of you grew up gear heads and that is good, some of you however have no experience with anything other than a keyboard or cell phone.. nothing wrong with that but it ain't gonna get you far on a dark road with no cell phone reception and not a living soul in sight..being stranded isn't fun and in many cases there is simply no reason for it. Most roadside maladies are easily self fixable if you know what to look for and have a basic understanding of mechanics ( electrical wouldn't hurt either )

So.. Go, take a course, buy some tools tinker.. if you don't want to experiment on your primary ride and if you have the cash, buy a running basket.. something where the engine and tranny work reasonably well, but could use tuning or a top end rebuild.
Pace yourself at you current skill but be eager to grow. Back in my day tearing off cylinder heads, adjusting points, getting the distributor "right"..were all a matter of necessity.. we owned clunkers and clunkers needed to be kept running cheaply, which means learning to do because mechanics cost $$$$$ that we did not have.. pretty much sums up today too. I think women wrenching there own bespeaks independence far more them shouting feminist slogans. I shows me a sense of self determination and self worth rather then a demand for unearned respect simply because one is a female.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

@kelkel

You, Madam, are my hero!

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Awwwwwww ..... Thanks Justin but I'm not really the hero type ... I can't even dress up as one for Halloween convincingly
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

I gotta say,

TOGTFO

750shadowC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

Wow, there are a lot of chicks claiming they can do mechanical work on bikes...hmmm
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oh I have a long history of getting dirty ... That's what happens when growing up with 4 brothers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladies of the forum...-45836_1487510222547_4117082_n-1.jpeg  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh I have a long history of getting dirty ... That's what happens when growing up with 4 brothers.
what is that, you workin on a 91 Honda Accord?

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Wow!!! Now YOU are good. It is indeed a 1991 Honda Accord. I was replacing the alternator on it for the 2ND time
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow!!! Now YOU are good. It is indeed a 1991 Honda Accord. I was replacing the alternator on it for the 2ND time
I been working on the Honda/Acura products for about 20 years now as a tech at a dealer. you would think I'd know them by now. but the 90-93 were all pretty much the same. Those are a set of Odyssey horns in my Sig pic. lol
BTW nice job!! wish my wife would do S*** like that

Last edited by Scrapdog2grand; 11-21-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement