Ladies of the forum... - Page 5 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #41 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelKel View Post
Well speaking of knowing a bit about the bike you ride, I had an interesting occurrence happen on the way to work the other morning. I pulled away from a stop light and when I went to shift into second the shifter lifted up with no resistance whatsoever. After pulling over into a side street, I ascertained what had happened. Apparently a bolt had worked its way loose that held my shifter to the connecting rod. After a little brainstorming, I found some wire on the side of the road which I used to hold everything together enough to make it a little ways down the road to the nearest gas station. Once there, I was able to fashion a better temporary fix that would get to work and back home out of a car battery terminal. (gas stations are somewhat limited on their selection of possible fixing agents) all of this and I STILL made it to work on time

Excuse the ratty nature of my bike ... It is not a beauty queen by any means.
Your bike is a beauty and what I call a rat, it is what riding a bike is all about, in the old days we bought a bike because it was all we could afford, we used it to get to work, we used it to ride to the clubhouse and the pub and when it broke down we repaired it with whatever parts we could find..

At the moment you feel great because you have done a good repair out of nothing, your next job should be to decide what parts and tools to carry, a spark plug and wrench is a good start, a screwdriver or wrench to tighten the battery, a piece of rag, maybe a length of wire with a clip on each end to bridge a broken connection.

Keep up the good work.

John.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #42 (permalink)

Is it to early for a sammich making comment?

My wife does some maintenance on the shadow. But most of that is left to the mechanic we use. She knows basic things. She doesn't care to know more.

1994 Honda Shadow 600

2002 Honda VFR FI
mblosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
...your next job should be to decide what parts and tools to carry...
That very night I bought a small tool kit to keep in my saddlebags. Sockets, screwdrivers, and pliers. I also put a pair of vice grips (just in case) as well as electrical tape and multimeter. Lastly, I have a "Japanese Bike Bolt Kit" (a small tub with random sizes of metric nuts and bolts common to bikes)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
That very night I bought a small tool kit to keep in my saddlebags. Sockets, screwdrivers, and pliers. I also put a pair of vice grips (just in case) as well as electrical tape and multimeter. Lastly, I have a "Japanese Bike Bolt Kit" (a small tub with random sizes of metric nuts and bolts common to bikes)
An ounce of prevention .... well you know the rest. This is a great idea for everyone who hasn't done it yet. And when you do have a MacGyver moment and get through it, what a great feeling!!

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #45 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
Great stuff..just a quick suggestion..buy some zip lock sandwich bags to put the meter and tape in, saddlebags are great but we are all coming into winter months and the wind will drive the rain everywhere..

I don't know if your gas stations have those free disposable plastic gloves to keep your hands clean while filling up, but if they do, put a few in your bags, you can put them on over your riding gloves to stop the rain, and under your gloves to prevent the frost..

buy a very cheap oil filter wrench, about $3, you will need it..I don't advise the "smack a screwdriver through the old filter to act as a lever to undo it" thing because you can crack the thin aluminum rim the filter sits in.

John.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #46 (permalink)

Garage

two words.. bailing wire

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft2 View Post
Yes they are different things and it irritates me that it is assumed that a woman cannot do the latter because she is...well, a woman.

I sir, have not rebuilt a gearbox, but I have performed many a top overhaul and I shall assure you that I can not only grind and lap my own valves but adjust my own ring gaps unassisted.

And I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few men out there who not only cannot do that, but also have no idea what I just said.

Ok. Getting down off my soap box now.
THAT, my dear lady, would be me!

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #48 (permalink)

Garage

Three Letters

A M A

Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #49 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft2 View Post
Yes they are different things and it irritates me that it is assumed that a woman cannot do the latter because she is...well, a woman.

I sir, have not rebuilt a gearbox, but I have performed many a top overhaul and I shall assure you that I can not only grind and lap my own valves but adjust my own ring gaps unassisted.

And I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few men out there who not only cannot do that, but also have no idea what I just said.

Ok. Getting down off my soap box now.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
The only thing some men got out of that was.. bump and grind and perhaps lap dance.. and they are positive that adjusting your own gap is some perverse form of self pleasure and since they are afraid of that aspect best leave it alone..everything else went over their
" little" head

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
The only thing some men got out of that was.. bump and grind and perhaps lap dance.. and they are positive that adjusting your own gap is some perverse form of self pleasure and since they are afraid of that aspect best leave it alone..everything else went over their
" little" head
Ha ha ha Crazy Dave you crack me up. I've been reading your responses on here long enough to know that, you sir, "understand" women.

And because I can do other things too, you are the type of man I would be happy to bake a Black Forest cake for some time. Yes from scratch, but be warned, I have a heavy hand with the Kersch!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 BMW F700GS
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
1974 Kawasaki G4TR Trail Boss
5ft2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement