Decreasing Gas Mileage - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Decreasing Gas Mileage

My VLX gas mileage is gradually getting worse. When I first got it, it would go to over 100 miles (50 mpg) before I had to switch to reserve. I put on a new front tire, and I had to start switching around 96 miles (48 mpg). I expected that. However, now I am having to switch to reserve around 93 miles. It could be a mind thing, but the bike seems to be a little lower on power right now too. Any suggestions?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

If your anything like me it may be the way you ride. When I first got mine it seemed to have plenty of power and great mileage. The longer I rode it and the more I got used to it, the more aggressive I began to ride. Nothing really changed about the bike, but my riding style changing led me to feel like the bike has less power and gets worse mileage because I'm twisting the throttle a lot harder. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Mileage

Have you tried different fuel types? Are you more aggressive with the throttle, are you doing more higher speed-highway riding? Check the air pressure in the tires weekly, are you keeping the air pressure near the max.? Pull the plugs, analyze them and look for carbon buildup in the cylinders. Check-change the air filter. Run some cleaner like Sea Foam and Techron Concentrate through the fuel system. How old is the battery? Make sure you're getting proper voltage to the plugs.
Thunder Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

When did you last change your air filter?

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Winter gasoline formulas always give you less mileage than summer.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
Winter gasoline formulas always give you less mileage than summer.
More butane (which evaporates at a faster rate) means it's cheaper for refineries to produce fuel. September 15 is usually the start of the winter gas "season" but the date has little impact on when you'll be pumping winter gas. It depends much more on the station's volume of business and ordering cycles.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I agree with sgoatley..when you first bought the bike you would have been careful with the new toy, as you became more confident and started to lean into the curves you would discover that it is hard for this bike to fall over, then you would open the throttle sooner trying to get to the point where you feel great just riding..drop the bike back to 50mph, don't open the throttle so quickly between the lights keep the revs down under 3k for town riding and you will probably get your mpg back again..

..But do you really want to...

John.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

3 or 4 mile diference per fill-up doesn't mean anything. 1, you probably didn't use the excat same pump each time, even if you did you didn't get exactly the same amount into the tank, or refuel and ride under the exact same climatic condition or road/traffic conditions, the theres rider habits, and the fact that I doubt you are keeping actual MPG records, just going off memory (I know this because you are measuring gas per tank rathether that a real measurment of gas per miles travelled). All these things and more affect gas mileage, you start seeing differences of 5-10 or more mile PER GALLON of difference you might have an issue. Basic servics and maintenance should correct MPG issues 90% of the time.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Fat Kid

The only difference i see is in price of fuel...

But I'm making pretty much same 50 mpg as when i started to ride...

'04 Aero 750 | '02 VTX1800R
Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement