1st ride to work - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st ride to work

I took the MSF course back in late July. Took my written and got my class M in early August. Missed a few opportunities for some nice bikes, but picked up my '07 750 about 4 weeks ago. Since then I've put a little over 600 miles on her running errands around town and doing some riding on State Hwy's and country roads.

Well after seeing the nice weather yesterday afternoon I was like why the heck didn't I ride my bike? I had a close call this past Sunday on a state hwy where a dog and a car come flying out of a driveway into my lane and from 60 mph I was able to brake front and rear and down shift in time to avoid any incident. I didn't even think about it, I just did it. I actually impressed myself.

So this morning it's about 46 degrees and about a 30 mile ride via 2 state hwys. I convinced the fiance I'll be fine and talked her into taking my son to school. I get dressed in layers and head out about 15 mins earlier than normal just in case I need to stop to warm up a bit.

Probably a little cheesy for many on this board, but this was probably one of my most enjoyable rides to date. Several co-workers thought I was crazy for riding in such temps, but honestly it wasn't bad even with my 1/2 helmet.

Brought my lunch so I can get in a little nice afternoon ride at lunch This evening will be the first time I ride after dark for that length of time, but I'm pretty familiar with the road.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you are doing fine, it's fun checking off all of those "firsts".

rjdaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
mlr

Garage

how late after dark? it gets colder at night. but i'm not one for riding in cold.

nice car in your sig

2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750
mlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiteck View Post
Probably a little cheesy for many on this board, but this was probably one of my most enjoyable rides to date. Several co-workers thought I was crazy for riding in such temps, but honestly it wasn't bad even with my 1/2 helmet.
Good on ya! 46 degrees is a nice comfy temp if you're dressed for it. Congrats on this "first"; having your co-workers think you're crazy is way better than having them think you're boring.

The one thing I used to forget when riding with the half helmet is that sunglasses aren't a good thing after dark. Make sure you have some clears with you if you're going to come home late. And assuming E. Texas is like everywhere else, watch out for deer.

(Just don't flip off the other commuters; people here don't think that's nice.)
'72 CL350 - You never forget your first

Last edited by rb608; 11-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
rb608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is that your hearse?

Anyway, ride safe and often! Glad you're doin' it all right.
ACE VT750 Service Manual Download

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!
Aced It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr View Post
how late after dark? it gets colder at night. but i'm not one for riding in cold.
According to weather channel it'll actually be a little warmer for me on the ride home than the ride in. I get off at 6pm and roughly a 30 min ride home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr View Post
...nice car in your sig
Thanks it's a '69 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Hearse. Great conversation piece and marketing tool for my haunted house
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

ride safe have fun... i know what you mean about getting the crazy look when you get to work after being on the bike in 40 degree weather....people look at you diff and dont mess with you as much,,,

racerc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb608 View Post
Good on ya! 46 degrees is a nice comfy temp if you're dressed for it. Congrats on this "first"; having your co-workers think you're crazy is way better than having them think you're boring.

The one thing I used to forget when riding with the half helmet is that sunglasses aren't a good thing after dark. Make sure you have some clears with you if you're going to come home late. And assuming E. Texas is like everywhere else, watch out for deer.

(Just don't flip off the other commuters; people here don't think that's nice.)
Trust me they already think I'm crazy. I drive the hearse to work from time to time....lol.

Yeah at lunch I'm going by a locally owned bike shop to see what they've got. Otherwise I'll use a pair of clear safety glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced It View Post
Is that your hearse?
Anyway, ride safe and often! Glad you're doin' it all right.
Yeah I bought it about 4 years ago. It's a '69 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Combination. It was used as both a hearse and an ambulance. The rear landau panels are removable and have rear windows. There's also 2 flip up jump seats for the EMTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc20 View Post
ride safe have fun... i know what you mean about getting the crazy look when you get to work after being on the bike in 40 degree weather....people look at you diff and dont mess with you as much,,,
The hearse has that effect too
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

I haven't been riding that long and remember what it felt like that first time I rode to work. I've also had people ask me "isn't it a little cold to be riding that thing to work". Right now, here in Destin, the days are starting off in the low 50s. I simply put on my winter coat (from living in Chicago) and don't have a problem so far. I suppose it might get to be too cold in late December or January, but we'll decide that each day. I just love the ride and it feels to good to pass up if I can ride. It has definitely become my vehicle of choice.

2012 Shadow Phantom 750
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

The ride home was actually a little warmer than the am ride in and the first time I had gone that far at one time after dark.

Noticed there was no rain in the forecast for today, but at 32* this morning and no leather jacket I opted to take the cage today and regretted it all the way to work