Stuff trying to kill you - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Stuff trying to kill you

Motorcyclist has a close call with a flying mattress - 22 Words

OK....so I am a novice rider (6 months) and I have already been nearly killed by a 10 foot long 1x8 flying off the back of a pick up truck. I saw whis video (above) and it got me thinking....how many of you have been in a near death experience like this?
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Nothing like a Van full of 2x4s sticking straight out with no Brake Lights when you are 16.Road Rashed to Hell but nothing Broke
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had bees get inside my jacket and try to make me wreck, I've had idiots texting while doing 90 on the freeway almost run me off the road. Had the bike in front of me kick up what I think was a heat shield from a cat. Convertor up at me, have hit 2 birds, a rabbit and a gopher. It's a dangerous world out there.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I got stung several times by a scorpion in west Texas doing 60 plus...

Live to ride.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Had a truck run a red light back in high school. Hit her in the driver door. Woke up in the passenger side floorboard.
2007 HONDA SHADOW 600 VLX
SEMPER FI do or die DEVIL DOC always try's
Swamprabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I once had a large square of thin sheet metal fly off the back of a truck, spinning towards me like a giant Frisbee. Luckily, it quickly veered off to the side of the road.

It all happened very fast, but I still remember it vividly.

Menhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

One hot sunny day last year here in MO with that mirage effect coming off the hot tar I almost hit a f*****g stove in the middle of Hwy 54 at 70 mph. I was amazed at how close I came to it before I recognised it for what it was but I suppose finding a Sears and Roebuck four burner electric oven in the middle of the road at four o-clock on a Saturday afternoon is hardly something we are conditioned to look out for.
I about shat myself.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

When learning to ride Oma little ninja 250 16 years ago a minivan tried to kill me...head on, so I drove into a field and made nice with a thankfully very old fence. Two days later I was released from the hospital looking like a prize fighter just whooped me. I bought my second motorcycle that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Dubej9412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

I stay the hell away from anything that might come loose during travel. Can't avoid acts of God though. I had a lightning bolt strike within such close proximity that the reflection in my rear view blinded me for a sec and when I looked back there was a burn mark on the offramp.
Bowie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

On a bike I've had close calls with birds. I rode through a flock of turkeys and somehow I missed them all. I came so close to a bluejay that it grazed my right leg.

However in a car my close call was with a wheel, tire + rim. It was on top of an over loaded truck on the New York Thruway going down a very long hill. After falling off, it somehow oriented itself upright and started bouncing. Of course it was slowing down but bouncing pretty high. Somehow I avoided it.
vzshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement