Poll regarding vacations - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: How much would you/could you spend on a 2 week adventure vacation
$2,000 6 21.43%
$3,000 8 28.57%
$4,000 5 17.86%
$5,000 6 21.43%
$6,000 2 7.14%
$7,000 0 0%
$8,000 1 3.57%
$9,000 0 0%
$10,000 0 0%
More than $10,000 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

What I would pay and could pay are totally irrelevant to one another, regardless of lenght of stay or destination. We dropped a tidy sum on a visit to Hawaii several years ago for a 10 day getaway, but those expenditures are VERY rare. Our son had just returned from his 3rd tour of duty and we wanted to see Hawaii while he was still stationed there. It was a stretch to be able to get away from work for 10 days, can't imagine 14 days or more.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

In Britain we hear of our polititians staying in accomodation costing over $2,000 per night, but we don't often hear of them paying it out of their own pockets..

I believe that in the corruption stakes some of our polititians can qualify as the best in the world.

We have at least one Lord who has served time in one of our prisons.

John.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

I'll let you know after I win powerball

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Two weeks is a long vacation, last spring I took the family on a cruise for 7 days. It about drove us crazy. I spent 1800 for the 4 of us. Zip line, snorkeling, jeep tour through a rain forest, beach time, pampered and catered to.

1994 Honda Shadow 600

2002 Honda VFR FI
mblosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage

I'm definitely with y'all on cheap vacations...I did a two month ride around the US and spend maybe $4k or $5K and we didn't do it as cheaply as it could have been done. I'm thinking of this as a once in a lifetime type deal and it would be 2 weeks with travel time, so probably 10 days on the ground. Thanks for the continued feedback y'all!
still.southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

You might consider a $0 option on the poll. That's what I'd spend on a 2 week adventure vacation.

Current: 2012 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited
btrschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat803 View Post
I have never taken a 2 week vacation. I can't even think of anyone that I know who has taken a 2 week vacation. For that matter, before I'd spend $2000 on a vacation, I'd pay off the KLR....
The problem is with such a high air fare even a week is going to cost well over $3,000.

If I lived in the States I would rather do Route 66 which strangely enough would cost less for accomodation.

Not trying to shoot down the OP just saying what I might like to do.

John.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

I take vacations all the time but never biked on one. My better half would have my you know whats in a wringer and I don't like wife agro!! I still like your idea though and if I ever did go it would be some where like that!!
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
If I lived in the States I would rather do Route 66 which strangely enough would cost less for accomodation.
If you ever do visit here I would not suggest wasting your time on the profoundly uninteresting Rt.66. I can think of about a thousand more interesting rides just in the western States. But you are correct that travel costs are pretty low here, not only accommodations but food and gas.

But to the OP's poll question: you maybe should have specified that airfare is or is not included in the total vacation cost. Maybe "cost per day for a motorcycle adventure experience" would get a more accurate estimate. I'd be happy to pay up to $200/day for a well-organized guided tour with comfortable accommodations (not deluxe but decent, which by my standards means hot showers, clean linen, and not next to an all-night saloon), all meals and including some cultural or historical context. Scenery is fine, but mountains is mountains and most people want to feel that they have seen something at least a little different and exotic. Just MHO.
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

I put down 4, but that would be a serious stretch. My wife unit tends to find us all inclusive trips to Mexico for about $1,400 pp for 2 weeks. Toss in the spending money for the outings we go on and the money paid to locals to take us places, I may hit $3,000 pp if I went nuts, more likely $2,500 tops. So,$4k for me would have to be a killer trip to be that much better, any more and I couldn't even think about going when I could do two trips for that price and have an extra 2 weeks vacation.

750shadowC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement