Poll regarding vacations - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: How much would you/could you spend on a 2 week adventure vacation
$2,000 6 21.43%
$3,000 8 28.57%
$4,000 5 17.86%
$5,000 6 21.43%
$6,000 2 7.14%
$7,000 0 0%
$8,000 1 3.57%
$9,000 0 0%
$10,000 0 0%
More than $10,000 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you ever do visit here I would not suggest wasting your time on the profoundly uninteresting Rt.66. I can think of about a thousand more interesting rides just in the western States. But you are correct that travel costs are pretty low here, not only accommodations but food and gas.

But to the OP's poll question: you maybe should have specified that airfare is or is not included in the total vacation cost. Maybe "cost per day for a motorcycle adventure experience" would get a more accurate estimate. I'd be happy to pay up to $200/day for a well-organized guided tour with comfortable accommodations (not deluxe but decent, which by my standards means hot showers, clean linen, and not next to an all-night saloon), all meals and including some cultural or historical context. Scenery is fine, but mountains is mountains and most people want to feel that they have seen something at least a little different and exotic. Just MHO.
Agree, this sounds like an adventure vacation. It is the air fare that will probably be the main factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

it's NOT the money it's the PLACE.... with all the un-rest anti American crap going on in these other 3rd world countries,,,ect ect...high prices for food & gas (if you can find it) clean place to lay my head ,,,hospitals,, corruption ect ect.. why would I want to go there?? You could charge me $10.00 a day and I still would NOT go...
" It's NOT the Money it's the PLACE"
we have SO MANY great rides and trails here in USA & Canada,,,I've been riding all over USA & Canada for over 36 years and still have NOT seen all there IS to see & ride...
for all you haters out there DON'T get me wrong I am NOT one of those " America ONLY all others stink" I did live & work & motorcycle all over Europe & the UK (1979-1981) 95% I had a GREAT time,,people places ect..only 5% I had very close calls with anti American haters,,,and corrupt Police & Military..
Do we have crime and bad crap here in USA & Canada??? sure we do ...but in my travels very few.....I feel much safer and I'd rather take my chances here in USA & Canada anytime...
Officer friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Fat Kid

Officer friendly as i understand TS lives in Kirghistan so that's mostly unpopulated and poor country which is happy to see any money to flow in. Not to mention that most of population lives like 200 or 500 years ago.
Also it's Buddhist country (if i'm not mistaken) that also makes any experience more positive.

I don't see my self spending 2 weeks out of work, I was for a week at home due to oral surgery and was feeling like crap cuz had nothing to do... So I've voted for a lowballer 2k.

'04 Aero 750 | '02 VTX1800R

Last edited by Fat Kid; 11-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
it's NOT the money it's the PLACE.... with all the un-rest anti American crap going on in these other 3rd world countries,,,ect ect...high prices for food & gas (if you can find it) clean place to lay my head ,,,hospitals,, corruption ect ect.. why would I want to go there?? You could charge me $10.00 a day and I still would NOT go...
" It's NOT the Money it's the PLACE"
we have SO MANY great rides and trails here in USA & Canada,,,I've been riding all over USA & Canada for over 36 years and still have NOT seen all there IS to see & ride...
I have seen Officer Friendly many times during my overseas travels. He's the one shouting at the lady in the market selling T-shirts because she 1) doesn't speak English; and 2) doesn't have a T-shirt saying "USA No. 1."

Get over it, OF. The world has moved on; we are the ones falling behind, a nation of obese, reality-TV-obsessed, increasingly illiterate narcissists. I encounter a lot less actual anti-Americanism out there in the real world than I have in years past, but a lot more recognition that there isn't much to admire about us any more.

I'm delighted you intend to stay home, OF. Our national image is bad enough already.

(Yes, I know this is off-topic but I'm not the jingoist idiot who needlessly started the detour.)
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you ever do visit here I would not suggest wasting your time on the profoundly uninteresting Rt.66. I can think of about a thousand more interesting rides just in the western States. But you are correct that travel costs are pretty low here, not only accommodations but food and gas.
I haven't been to the USA since the early 60s and I think I have finished all my overseas travel now, so like Officer Friendly I will probably stay in my own country for the short time I have left..However we have an old comedian (well my age) named Billy Connelly who has just done Route 66 on a trike..and he made it look interesting..Of course he is a millionaire and the trip would have been planned and paid for by the film company and he probably had pretty good accomodation and comfort all the way..He started at Chicago and went all the way to the coast..It's possible his trike spent some miles on a trailer, but I wouldn't know...

I'm not old or sick enough for a trike yet.

Another boring ride I regret not doing is the north south highway in Australia through Alice Springs.

John.
Advertisement