Uclear two way headset - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

Yeah it's more for road trips. It's nice to have tunes in addition to the wind noise and exhaust, and it's nice to bop a button and ask 'anybody need gas? anybody see that on the right? Popo ahead.' Etc. For rider to passenger or rider to rider to rider to rider or any 4 way configuration.

Especially for bike to bike in those long dark single lane stretches of highway when a truck gets between you. No amount of hand signals and what not are helping you communicate there if the guy in the back breaks down. It could be miles and miles before that truck turns off and you notice you lost your moving buddy at some point in the last hour.

Last edited by ZackDaniels; 11-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

I like the fact that the boom mic is not necessary. I'll be interested in what UClear has to say about not working while moving. Please keep us posted.

"Past experience carries with its advantages the drawback that things never happen the same way again." - Winston Churchill

E'ville Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Fat Kid

Folks I'm on the market looking for good solution to "communication" problem, so please don't hesitate to put your thoughts over here.

'04 Aero 750 | '02 VTX1800R
Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

ZackDaniels
I bought the Sena 10
Sena Bluetooth

Checked their site and bought mine from a registered dealer..... which just happened to be my Honda dealer

They are fantastic. Easy to install.
Long battery life as well.

I can hear my passenger clear as if in a car when I am at highway speeds.
I have mine linked to my passenger my iphone and my gps.

Only thing to remember is that there is a 4 sec delay from listening to my music on the iPhone until the chat channel has opened after I touch the button to chat. Or my passenger has touched theirs to talk to me.

The only annoyance has been when we are talking and the GPS breaks in to tell me to turn.. start to talk again.... and TURN HERE comes on. minor thing just happens.

But I like to listen to my tunes...and my passenger listens to their favorite music with an mp3.... and have had no problem listening at any speed also able to answer hear and be understood when I am talking on the phone. Push one button to talk..... or can set up that it will connect using voice.

For me I may have paid a bit extra getting at a dealership but if there is a problem with them they are just across town and I know where to find them.

I may be getting older ..but I will stay immature forever.

2011 750 Shadow Aero
Ultimate driver seat with backrest. http://www.ultimateseats.ca
Memphis shades Batwing Fairing for metric.
Saddlebags http://www.motovan.com/catalog/2011%...dex.html#/181/

Last edited by Ed-ramsay; 11-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Ed-ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage

Steller review - thanks!

The lag from tunes/gps over to chat would be a bit annoying. Have you updated to the latest firmware? If it brought on 4 way conferencing it seems it might have improved other things as well... that's a pretty large update.

The GPS interrupting conversations would be exactly as I'd want it designed. Gets pretty easy to miss that exit when it's your 4th or 5th hour on the road. No doubt it gets annoying sometimes with lots of turns in a short time, but for me that should be rare. I either have a vague idea of where I'm going and don't have the GPS on or it's a long stretches of the least boring roads I can find.

I focused on the Sena because it seems a bit cheaper than alternatives like the OP's UClear. Cheaper != cheap so I was worried it might end up being expensive crap, and I'd rather drop another $50-$100 on something that works well once we're in the $100+ ballpark.

:edit:
Does the voice prompt work ok? Does it kill battery life if in use?

Last edited by ZackDaniels; 11-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
ZackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes I did get the update but their may be another one before next riding season.

Not sure about the 4 way chats none of the others I do ride with have one yet.

Got it mainly for me and passenger to be able to talk or to be able to listen to our music we both like different music.
Individual music seems better than sound blaring from a speaker that I do not want to hear.
It was a lot of cash but for me it was worth every dime.

I may be getting older ..but I will stay immature forever.

2011 750 Shadow Aero
Ultimate driver seat with backrest. http://www.ultimateseats.ca
Memphis shades Batwing Fairing for metric.
Saddlebags http://www.motovan.com/catalog/2011%...dex.html#/181/
Ed-ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm expecting to take delivery today on the Sena SMH10 today..I've read about the tin like sound that someone mentioned and I believe that the 10 has the upgraded speakers..got it mainly for the intercom for rider to passenger and the occasional desire for tunes...I'll let you know how they work out..supposed to be close to 80 here this weekend!

WesternAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

I have a set of scala rider G9's and my wife and I love them. Crystal clear at highway speeds, nice and easy. We go all day on them and the battery life seems to hold about 10 hrs of talk time to a charge. I had heard the speakers were horrible, but even when listening to music they seem fine to me (and I am kind of an audiophile). It still trips me out when I am running twisties in the middle of nowhere and my wife answers the phone on her headset. I can't get signals anywhere with my phone, but hers seems to pull signals in the mountains somehow.. I don't get it.

On one trip my wife's back went out so she didn't want to ride home. My buddy came up in his jeep and hung out in the mountains for a day or two and she rode back with him while I took the bike. It was nice to be able to communicate with the headsets even with her in the jeep behind me.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowmo

I have one of these and I love it. I've had phone conversations up to about 70mph and people can hear me fine. I use a full face helmet so that helps with the wind noise. It does take some adjusting the directional mics some to get it to be as clear as possible. If it's not clear talking on them at speed you probably need to adjust their aim a bit.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

I got a reply from Uclear the next day. Need to check the speakers in the helmets and if they aren't clear at highway speeds I'm to send them back for replacement. Great customer service! Going to adjust and let you know. Might just be an install issue.

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement