Curious.. - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am a mediaclly retired LEO, and I bet I didn't stop hafl dozen bikes in my ten years. Most of the guys I know that retired have bikes now, mostly Harleys, but bikes anyway. LOL

Here there is a biker club, I think it is Blue Knights. They are current and former LEOs.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nope. All good.
1rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzshadow View Post
I've only been pulled over three times by LEOs. Twice it was for speeding and I was speeding. Both times I got a warning, probably because I'm 60 and had lots of riding gear on. The other time I was on my NT700V and I was riding with a friend who was on an NT as well. A county sheriff pulled us over because he wanted to know about the bike.

Other than that I've never had any issue with LEOs or anyone else.

Since 1986 I have only had one bad encounter with an LEO ( basically a desk clerk) Who busted my chops about illegal lights ( blues on the back ) In NH you aren't supposed to but many old school hot rods and bikes do and take their chances. He had me dead to rights, I don't argue or even mind it.. it was his attitude and veiled threats of impediment. Then he started in on my pipes.. about 15 minutes of this I got pissed off enough to tell him either write me up for something or get the hell out of my face.. which he did.. I was still pissed, but no tickets.

I have been stopped about 5-6 times on a bike , including once for loud pipes on a bike I was test riding. In most , the LEO's were cool.. the other time I got pissed at a cop , I was actually more pissed at myself.. those who are "enlightened" refer to this as Transference.. I call it what that is, mad coz I got caught.

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Never a problem either way.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I haven't been pulled over in many years but the cops out here are generally biker-friendly as there are a lot of us out here. BUT, they are total d***s to anyone who might have any type of questionable affiliation. Our famous sheriff (Joe Arpiao) has them trained to attack anything that looks gang-related. I've been harassed many times simply for my attire.
Bowie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

When I first started riding harassment by LEO's and discrimination by businesses against bikers was still quite common across much of the country..[/QUOTE]

I went across US and Canada in early 70s and it was a bit rough in the smaller rural towns but may be more because we had longer hair rather than being bikers. We certainly tried like hell to avoid trouble but it did happen anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Based on personal experiences I would say that such things are almost nonexistent here in NH these days but.. how about your state...
I have not experienced anything like the 70s since. As far as harassment by police: in 1980, 3 of us were going to stay in a rural hotel on Vancouver Island. We sat in the hotel bar and were told, before we had drinks, we should move our bikes away from the door because the drunks leaving would stumble over them. The waiter suggested parking a half block away. We got on our bikes and since my GoldWing is heavy I started it and drove the 50 feet. Of course in this one-horse town the local cop was sitting down the street training a "native" officer and proceeded to give us tickets for riding with no helmets. That same day in Vancouver there was a funeral for an Angel and at least 100 members rode in a procession and not one had a helmet on!

On the way back we had to take a ferry and pulled in behind two bikes. One of the bikers approached and told us "this line for Harleys only", he was expecting a large group. Small minded people don't bother me so we just changed into an unoccupied lane beside the Harleys. As far as I could tell we might board before them anyway. One of the Harley chicks came by to admire my Wing Corbin seat, and mentioned her passenger pad was not too comfy but she was dragged off by her owner. I felt is was a bit of discrimination by a fellow rider but two things lessened the hurt: one their friends never did show up. Two: when the ferry came and one of the choppers would not start we didn't help push.

G.

PS Nothing against Harleys or Harley riders but I doubt there would be a "suzuki only line".

Last edited by gdb069; 11-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
gdb069 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was harassed for wearing my skull printed neoprene mask a few weeks ago. A bike cop pulled up next to me at a red light and told me that the mask set off the wrong impression. Mind you I was wearing a pair of dress slacks and dress shoes, on my way back from lunch, and my jacket. Apparently my mask made me appear like a 1%er to the cop. Funny, given I'm not in an mc and wear no patches at all. He then followed me all the way back to the office, to "make sure I was doing what I said I was." His words exactly. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thru the 70's and all the way to the late 80's, I got harassed fairly often by the oinkers. Several times it was "We got a report of motorcycles being reckless...." never got written up though. Was searched coming back into the country from Canada on the bike once, but in all fairness (unfairness?) I got searched several times in the Jeep as well.

I've had a couple of hotel reservations oddly disappear when it was discovered that we were riding motorcycles. Can't complain about one of those times though....it led to an interesting nights stay at Madam Zorba's Physic Reader and Motor Court. Turned out to be a ***** house/drug dealer...good times. lol

Back then people would actively move away from a guy in leather in many places I traveled, and no one ever talked to me. Nowadays, everyone wants to talk to me. I suppose I look a lot less dangerous today than I did then. Even my motorcycles look more friendly these days. Plus now I'm old...

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffinator87 View Post
He then followed me all the way back to the office, to "make sure I was doing what I said I was." His words exactly. Sigh
That type of thing bothers me to no end. Aggressive cops like this stain society's perception of law enforcement and ruin it for the guys who are working that awful job with good intentions in their heart. It's hard to have any respect or sympathy for people when this is how you're treated while abiding within the law.
Bowie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

I get harassed on a more or less regular basis by the Army because I ride...

Required to take the BRC before riding. (not a bad thing)

Required to take the ERC within a year after taking the BRC. (still not a bad thing)

Have to take a one-day "refresher course" after being deployed or TDY (without access to a bike) for more than 180 days (WTF? NOBODY has to take an AUTOMOBILE refresher course after deployment!)

Required to wear, at a minimum; over the ankle shoes or boots, long sleeve shirt (or jacket), long pants, full finger gloves, DOT approved helmet, and eye protection...sunglasses do not count unless they are safety rated, windshields do not count either. (not getting into the AGATT argument, but there are some who whould prefer to wear less gear)

*Required to wear either a reflective belt or vest, depending on the post.*

*This is the one that really gets me. The Army safety regulation says NOTHING about requiring Soldiers to wear reflective belt or vest. It ALSO states that Commanders are encouraged NOT to add to the requirements. Yet, most Army posts require it. Ironically enough, on Ft. Rucker it is no longer required. Yes, Ft. Rucker, home of the Army Safety Center, does not require reflective anything. Apparently, they did a study and found that the reflective stuff was more of a distraction and otherwise made no difference.

And the final harassment? Try serving under a Commander (either Company, Battalion, or Brigade) that HATES motorcycles. We got to hear about it every. damn. day. When I went on R&R from A'stan, I was verbally told to not ride. Yeah, like THAT was gonna happen!

In the civilian world, I have experienced no harassment.
Kitulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement