Opinions on a Fairing - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

Oh yeah...Thanks Spicoli for finding the thread with the pictures. That really does help.

2012 Shadow Phantom 750
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Batwing for me

I have a 2004 Shadow with a batwing and I really like it and people say it gives it a nice bagger look to. I put a 9 inch windshield on it and it is perfect, my wife even notice the amount of wind off her also. I ride my bike everyday and I'm sure glad I put it on there since the weather here in SC is pretty cold in the mornings. My hands and chest stay nice and warm and my thirty minute commute to work and back is enjoyable. I also installed a light bar on the front which really set it off, so for me the batwing would be my choice.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Crates View Post
Exactly what I thought... I think the Bullet will look better, but wont do much for wind protection... Maybe a removable windshield might be best... Ive also heard about handling problems when attaching a batwing to a bike that wasnt designed with the batwing in mind...makes the front heavier and harder to turn, since it is attached to the forks, rather than the frame...
A batwing isn't going to change handling that much. There aren't many bikes that are designed with a batwing in mind. Most, even most of the Harley's start out as big cruisers and then the wings are added. New Batwings are much lighter then older ones from the 70's and 80's. If they were handlebar mounted instead of fork mounted there could be some issues.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here is the Batwing on my Phantom. I like the looks of it and if I strip the bike down removing bags and sissy bar it actually looks kinda cool I think with just the fairing. It is really quick and easy to take on and off although the brackets are kinda big and ugly.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Oh and here is another thought for u. Ur bike is the flat color so the black fairing wont be a perfect match unless u paint it. Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have the M.S. Batwing on my 2005 VT1100C2 I also have the quick "on/off" mounts so it only takes 10 sec. to take off the fairing or mount it back on.
went to see a sick friend in the Hosp. 15 miles away 34 degrees the batwing did a good job ( NOT purfect but good) I still get an up draft so I now wear one of those neoprene face mask in sub zero temps.. great combo.. BTW while I was in the hosp. it started snowing,,,sooooo the Batwing works in the snow as well LOL (just a lite dusting but snow still the same)
Officer friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gmck

Have you considered the Plexifairing? I had an earlier one on my Moto Guzzi and loved it, good protection and doesn't look so big
gmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

I've got a Memphis Shades quick release windshield, and i love it. In the summer, i'm sure i'll ride with it off, but for winter, i'm sure glad to have it!

2007 Shadow Sabre 1100 Black/Flame (Dead)
2006 VTX 1800S Touring

itsNatedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Conventional wisdom might suggest that the larger batwing would offer more wind protection --and it probably does from straight-on headwinds -- but it also may set up more turbulence because it creates a large low-pressure zone behind it. Most people find turbulence more problematic than straight-on airflow.

Factor in air coming up from below the shield, the bike/rider overall profile and about a zillion other variables and you might be able to predict the relative performance of the two shields FOR YOU. This whole area of wind management is more akin to voodoo than science. Every forum for every make and model of bike has pages on this, and hardly ever do two riders agree on the "best" setup.

I like the looks of the batwing better, however. The other one looks like it belongs on a sportbike rather than a cruiser.
And a long list of dear departeds

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I like the looks of the batwing better, however. The other one looks like it belongs on a sportbike rather than a cruiser.
Wow we agree again? Armageddon surely must be around the corner

CrazyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement