Opinions on a Fairing - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Opinions on a Fairing

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I'm thinking about adding a fairing to my bike to help reduce wind, especially on longer rides that I anticipate taking in the spring. I'm considering two from Memphis Shades -- Batwing and Bullet (pictures shown). Opinions on which will be more 'practical' as well as which you think will look better on my bike (shown in signature) are appreciated.

2012 Shadow Phantom 750
Barracuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've got the same dilemma, except mine is the Spirit version. I would imagine for wind, the batwing would be the better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Just Cruise...
Shadow ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Find the photoshop thread and post this there so you can see it.

I think the bullet would look sweet, but i do like the looks of a batwing though.
Zop_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd vote for the bullet but it won't do more than take the wind off your chest.

I feel like a full-size wing looks a little funny on a Phantom without bags.

If you are looking for some relief from the elements when going any distance I'd recommend a windshield with quick connect/disconnect. Around town run that Phantom naked. I think that bikes looks best dressed down.

spicoli512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did a simple google search "Phantom with batwing" and found this picture. Also looks like the topic has been discussed here too!
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-...m-batwing.html

On second thought this set up doesn't look bad at all. Nice bike BTW.

Last edited by spicoli512; 11-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.
spicoli512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Fairings..you either love them or you hate them..If you are limited to the choice between batwing or bullet consider this..Some of us are in the middle of the Christmas freeze..this is the time when you want to cut down on the freezing wind on your hands..so I would say the batwing, wouldn't you?.

I have five bikes, three without fairings and this time next year I will have four without fairings..I like the naked bike look.

John.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you primarily ride in Florida, I'd go with the bullet. Ride north in colder months, go with batwing. Keeping cold wind off of your hands lengthens your riding season.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
-AJ

practicality? go with the batwing.
looks? probably the bullet. the bullet won't do much for wind protection though. it'll just keep it off your chest.

that being said... i love my memphis shades batwing.

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli512 View Post
I'd vote for the bullet but it won't do more than take the wind off your chest.

I feel like a full-size wing looks a little funny on a Phantom without bags.

If you are looking for some relief from the elements when going any distance I'd recommend a windshield with quick connect/disconnect. Around town run that Phantom naked. I think that bikes looks best dressed down.
Exactly what I thought... I think the Bullet will look better, but wont do much for wind protection... Maybe a removable windshield might be best... Ive also heard about handling problems when attaching a batwing to a bike that wasnt designed with the batwing in mind...makes the front heavier and harder to turn, since it is attached to the forks, rather than the frame...
2003 Victory Vegas - 92 cu. in., Mustang seat, straight pipes, K&N filter, remapped ECU, powder coated wheels/foot controls/hand controls/handlebars/ rear pulley/rear luggage rack. Digital speedo/tach with powder coated housing.
So-Crates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks guys for all the input. I generally plan to run without the fairing and use it mostly for longer rides. Although I will admit that my main feeling has been like most here. The bullet will probably look better and the batwing will probably function better. I've actually thought about (eventually) getting both -- using the bullet for normal riding and the batwing for longer rides.

2012 Shadow Phantom 750
Barracuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement